Next up... Terminator: Salvation, May 21 2009

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:36 am
McG is suggesting he might get Will Smith as Captain Nemo in his darker version of "20 Leagues Under the Sea." My title represents the emotional depth of such a movie.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:39 am
@Lightwizard,
Smashing the screen was even done in slow motion!
Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:55 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Small, cheap robots are the way to go. Just enough smarts to seek out a human, and go for the jugular. Rat-sized terminators that can infiltrate and inject you with nerve toxin. Better yet, self-replicating rat-sized terminators....

Then, why not terminator viruses?
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:56 am
@DrewDad,
As to that effect, the Village Voice has an even more smashing final line in its follow-up review for T4. "Too dark for the cineplex, McG -- the theaters are already dark, idiot. This all comes out of his experience with boy band music videos and "Charlie's Angels" profoundly ditsy silliness. His idea of going dark is to emulate film noir, but very badly. Maybe the DVD can be played in a well lit room with dill pickles as a snack.

Save Yourself! (From McG's Terminator)
What a drag.
By Nick Pinkerton
Tuesday, May 19th 2009 at 3:15pm

Both warning and advertisement, the Terminator films are technophobic teases, selling tickets by promising this decade's model of killing machine: the classic V8 1984 Schwarzenegger; the bullet-streamlined, liquid-metal '91 Robert Patrick of T2: Judgment Day; Kristanna Loken's 2003 T-X (with burgundy pleather upholstery).

Terminator Salvation, a departure in many ways, is the first Terminator with no upgrade. The hardware is clanky, and runs on diesel. Schwarzenegger is present only as a CGI mask. The franchise's creation myth"the toppling of humanity by Skynet computers"has finally come to pass. It's 2018"time enough, apparently, for survivors to start dressing like drum circle squatters. Christian Bale's John Connor is a maverick officer in the human Resistance. Sam Worthington's Marcus Wright, last he remembers, donated his body to Cyberdyne before a lethal injection. He wakes to a blasted world, carrying a plot twist familiar to anyone who knows their Philip K. Dick.

To hear director McG tell it, this is nothing less than Terminator Salvage, a mission to "re-establish credibility" (a/k/a consumer confidence). The obvious models are Chris Nolan's po-faced Batmans. McG, who started off directing videos for frosted-tip bro bands, is stripping down, getting "dark." He's stricken color from the screen and book-clubbed his cast with copies of The Road. The visuals cite a checklist of 20th-century catastrophes: Worthington, in a Soviet-issue greatcoat, walks a Dresdened L.A.; oilfield fires à la Kuwait darken the horizon; human tissue is harvested in Holocaustic cattle-car roundups. There's even one of those simple nudges at contemporary commentary""We are not machines, and if we behave like them, then what's the point in winning?""that industrial-filmmaking liberals honestly believe alchemize entertainment into Art, like lead into gold.

Change was inevitable"the established Terminator formula has been squeezed dry in FOX's prime-time The Sarah Connor Chronicles. But among the many things junked in McG's chop-shop is the notion of pleasure: The director describes cutting that "gratuitous moment of a girl taking her top off in an action picture" (God forbid) to get a franchise-first PG-13. He does, however, begin his film with the hook of Worthington clammily kissing a vampire-complexioned, bald-pated Helena Bonham Carter. T3 director Jonathan Mostow, trained on submarine and trucking thrillers, knew he was covering a greasy headbanger classic, not writing scripture. I went to his movie effed up and had a hoot; anyone planning the same for T4 will drop before the credits.

Salvation rolls along with Marcus on the road, his journey toward Resistance radio transmissions honoring the series' paranoid momentum (The Terminator actually had more in common with the unstoppable slasher pic than sci-fi mythos). The action set pieces, cut with overdone hectic percussion, are engaging enough. It's when Marcus and Connor intersect"trekking to strike at Skynet's Silicon Valley nerve center, which looks to be somewhere between Mordor and the Port of Houston"that the movie slackens, with McG tugging at emotional connections he never stuck in place. There's a bit with Worthington smashing a monitor that I realized"with embarrassment as it went into slow-motion"was actually supposed to be cathartic.

The Terminators have always respected female durability, from commando-mom Linda Hamilton to T3's intimation of masculine obsolescence, with effeminized Arnold modeling a pair of Elton John sunglasses. Salvation is comparatively anti-girl. Moon Bloodgood's pilot is introduced shaking a luxuriant mane loose from her flight helmet, making a Jennifer Beals"in-Flashdance shocka out of something the preceding movies took for granted. She'll later face an arbitrarily staged menace; her would-be rapists are the only yee-hawing rednecks in the movie, though any American Resistance would, realistically, be half Scotch-Irish gun nuts. Bryce Dallas Howard, as Connor's wife, is here just to set up the all-time most convoluted "I'll be back."

But the essential problem here isn't the ladies"or the lack thereof. It's the no-frissons Bale-Worthington pairing. Bale, doing the "Grrr" voice, is a lesson in how clenched effort does not equal effect. What's remarkable about his leaked freakout"mostly embarrassing in revealing a director who can't Alpha up on his set"is that it's over a performance in McG's "Terminator Salvation." Did the dude sweat this much over Reign of Fire? Worthington, half-burying his Aussie accent under gruff bluff, is of the blunt Jason Statham"Daniel Craig genus, with a bit of Ricky Hatton thrown in (with Hatton's level of resourcefulness). These Commonwealthers are dull trudgers, all"can we get a tariff?

Judgment Day alloyed pathos and explosions by matching Arnold's impassivity with Eddie Furlong's silent film-dolorous reaction shots"for those of a certain age, it's impossible to remember the sentimental gambit of that final thumbs-up without getting misty. Salvation, terminally gray, all macho bark, doesn't do contrasts. This means monotony"as predictable as, when the movie tanks, McG telling an interviewer it was "too dark" for the multiplex.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:58 am
@Reyn,
Nano designed to attack organics could be quite effective.

A question occurs to me: does Skynet only hate humans, or does it hate all organic life?

Next movie: Terminator: Berserker!
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:02 am
@DrewDad,
I like the nano idea and it's scientifically logical -- the giant robot is not. It's copy-cat pandering. Apparently, McG (and the writers) have the imagination of George Bush.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:12 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

DrewDad wrote:
Small, cheap robots are the way to go. Just enough smarts to seek out a human, and go for the jugular. Rat-sized terminators that can infiltrate and inject you with nerve toxin. Better yet, self-replicating rat-sized terminators....

Then, why not terminator viruses?

I've always wished someone would do a good "Grey Goo" movie, but nobody's done it yet. The closest they came to doing Grey Goo on film was the recent "Day the Earth Stood Still", but they defused the drama right when it was just getting serious.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:23 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
A question occurs to me: does Skynet only hate humans, or does it hate all organic life?

It hates humans because it thinks they can destroy it. So it destroys human civilization first. But once civilization is demolished and the earth is crawling with intelligent machines, it would seem that the humans aren't much of a threat any more. Except that they found the time displacement equipment, which (I think) Skynet developed in an attempt to pre-kill John Connor... it gets a bit tangled after all that...
DrewDad wrote:
Next movie: Terminator: Berserker!

I'm psyched! Bring it on. Smile Hollywood will probably dash my hopes once again.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:39 am
@rosborne979,
How about

Terminator California Dreamin'
Another terminator is sent back to do in John Conner who has taken up surfin' It'll be cool and an entire music video with, of course, The Beach Boys

or

The Passion of the Terminator

Man finally gets rid of the last machine, scourges it first using snare drum whisks, nails him to a cross. Unfortunately, he is resurrected in time for yet another lame sequel.

or

Terminator Salvation Army

The future Skynet gets a conscious and starts collecting money on street corners to put mankind back on its feet. But then one of them falls in love with a hologram Marlon Brando and puts a new twist on "Guys and Dolls."
DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:40 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
Terminator Salvation Army

Isn't that just wardrobe for T4?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:48 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

How about

Terminator California Dreamin'
Another terminator is sent back to do in John Conner who has taken up surfin' It'll be cool and an entire music video with, of course, The Beach Boys

Well, now you're just bein silly Wink

Land of the Lost today... think I might try it before the reviews start coming out. Probably can't be worse than T4.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 10:20 am
@rosborne979,
I think you would feel better if you just lit a ten dollar bill and feel the warmth of its heat. "Land of the Lost" pre-ticket sales are really bad and the reviews as at 12% favorable, making T4 look like a masterpiece. The consensus verdict on Rotten Tomatoes.com:

Consensus: Only loosely based on the original TV series, Land of the Lost is decidedly less kid-friendly and feels more like a series of inconsistent sketches than a cohesive adventure comedy.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 10:21 am
@DrewDad,
From the previews it looked like Salvation Army clothes they rejected.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 02:38 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

I think you would feel better if you just lit a ten dollar bill and feel the warmth of its heat. "Land of the Lost" pre-ticket sales are really bad and the reviews as at 12% favorable, making T4 look like a masterpiece.

How could they screw this up?

Special effects, Will Ferrel and a long running cheap kiddie sci-fi to poke fun at... why is it so hard to make a decent movie? Hollywood moviemakers are starting to make Congress seem like a bunch of geniuses.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 02:52 pm
@rosborne979,
They did it with "Get Smart," turning it into a psuedo-sophisticated with an occasional funny line or slap-stick bit. Bad writing. Will, as good as he can be, has made his share of stinkers. It appears he has one to add to the list.

The trouble is, the general audience has become jaded with CGI effects -- the best CGI use was used to great effect as an integral component in LOTR, Iron Man, The Dark Knight and Transformers (maybe a couple of others but they didn't depend on CGI along -- the other quality components were there).
DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
@Lightwizard,
A good show can be done with bad special effects; good special effects cannot save a bad show.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 03:17 pm
@DrewDad,
McG needs to learn something about lens filters from Spielberg as well. I'm commenting on seeing all the trailers in 1080p which was just the straw that broke the camel's back after the reviews (which has also, of course, noticed the simpleton's version of creative cinematography).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:10 am
Transformers Discussion
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 08:42 pm
LW, here is that web site I was trying to remember earlier ... http://www.strangerthings.tv

Are you familiar with that site?

They seem to be producing new scifi type shows which are released on the net exclusively. Some of their stories/clips are pretty decent little shows. I'm interested in this type of production because I'm hoping that it becomes more common and allows more scifi writers to get their work into some form of screenplay (without going through the usual hollywood mill).

0 Replies