Next up... Terminator: Salvation, May 21 2009

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 06:01 pm
@rosborne979,
IMDb and IMDb-Pro in much more detail reveals a pre-development for T5 but it's contingency on how it progresses is based on this one being a big hit. Whether McG will be directing, he's letting on that he will be depending on if this film is a hit. Christian Bale is signed up for three Terminator films, and the studio and production companies are keen to make a franchise. I don't think Bale will be hurting for a lack of work but I think his agent better be filling in for movies that might never get made (they'll likely have to pay of his off his contract without a profit from TS -- ouch!). It's curious to me that even if the poor numbers the May 6th SCC supposedly season closer managed -- "Howie Do It" on the ailing NBC network and "Wife Swap" beat it (What?) -- theoretically close to three million people could have rushed out to see T4, at an average of $ 7.00 a ticket, that's $ 210 M bucks. What happened? Bad reviews, for one, but also poor return business seeing it a second or third time.

CBS Ghost Whisperer 11.1 2.6/9
ABC Wife Swap 4.2 1.3/5
NBC Howie Do It 4.12 1.1/4
FOX Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles 2.96 1.0/4
CW America’s Next Top Model (R) 8p-10p(?) 1.76 0.7/2

There could be some backlash from the fans who were pissed about the SCC cancellation -- just like the general economy, there's a psychological factor at play. It even occurred to me -- it was willing to forget the just average sci-fi ramblings of T3, the dip in quality of storytelling from Season One of SCC, and make an effort to see T4. Then the reviews -- saved again! I'll wait to rent it from NetFlix or even until it comes to cable. It thinks it's headed there sooner than expected and I think from reading everything on IMDbPro that T5 is a twinkle-in-the-eye and a cinder just flew into it.

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 06:25 pm
That was basically another rotten trick when a series is going to fail not to announce it until the the phony season closer is shown.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 09:44 pm
LW, do you know of any web sites where we might be able to download/watch old Sci-Fi movies which might be in the public domain now?

I've never seen the end to Colossus: The Forbin Project, but I'm not interested enough to actually buy it. There are a few other old sci-fi's which I haven't seen as well. Is there a site where films like that are available for free download?
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:30 am
@rosborne979,
HULU is likely the best bet:

http://www.hulu.com/popular/movies/this_week?channel=Science+Fiction&h=6

or subscribe to NetFlix -- a huge library of vintage sci-fi films.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:46 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

I don't see the naive or unworldly nature in Prof. Ian Wood (I think the name came directly from the four part British series that spawned the US series). He is a scientist and so he is skeptical and analytical but forcing himself to participate in law enforcement along with firearms and criminals, which has been anathema to him because he realizes what good he can do. It's a delicate line to play the absent minded professor type and the resourceful sleuth. However, we no longer will have to worry about that -- it has been dropped:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/exclusive-witho.html

But, why was he played as absent-minded at all?
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 10:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Patrick Stewart played Dr. Ian Holm in the BBC series (it became Jacob Holm in the CBS version) and virtually in the same way, although, admittedly, Stewart is the better actor. I mis-stated that I read it as absent mindedness in the portrayal of the character, but rather being a portrait of a very focused mind which was much more interested in the science than the case itself. Part of the charm of the story lines is that he is advertently drawn into the criminal investigation whether he wants to get that close to it or not instead of just remaining a consultant. If he's concentrating on the science, he has a one track mind and his partner has to offer some firm guidance. The actress who plays Rachel Hood is pregnant which may explain part of the cancellation -- but rumor has it, the show may be picked up by another network.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 01:46 pm
...and so it goes for Terminator Salvation -- it needs real salvation:

Family films continue to dominate the box office as 'Up' soars to $68 million
10:56 AM PT, May 31 2009

Family movies dominated the box office this weekend as "Up" continued Pixar's unblemished record with a $68.2-million opening and "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" came in a solid No. 2 despite the competition.

"Up" came in just behind the Disney-owned animation studio's two most successful films, "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles," which grossed $70.2 million and $70.5 million," respectively, on their first weekends. Factoring in ticket-price inflation and the boost it got from higher prices at the 41% of its theaters that were in digital 3-D, "Up's" performance is closer to that of last year's "Wall-E," which opened to $63.1 million. Like all those films, "Up" will almost certainly end up grossing well over $200 million domestically.

Despite its PG rating, "Up" performed just as well in late-night showings as at matinees, according to Disney domestic distribution President Chuck Viane, and 69% of its audience was 12 years old or older. It's the first movie this year to earn a perfect A+ from CinemaScore, a system used to track audience responses to a film.

Despite "Up's" big bow, Fox's "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" experienced an average drop -- 53% -- for a summer event film. With $25.5 million on its second weekend, the Ben Stiller vehicle has sold a healthy $105.3 million in tickets in 10 days.

DragHell "Drag Me to Hell," a low-budget horror pickup for Universal from Ghost House Pictures, wasn't able to scare up much audience interest despite the cachet of director Sam Raimi. Its $16.6 million gross is more than 20% less than the $21-million opening of another horror film, "The Strangers," on the same weekend last year.

A dismal second weekend for "Terminator Salvation" put to rest any hopes that it could recover from a soft opening. Even though there were no new action movies in the market, the Warner Bros.-distributed sequel dropped 62% to $16.1 million.

Sony Pictures started its international rollout of "Salvation" with No. 1 debuts in seven Asian countries, holding out promise, at least initially, for financier Halcyon Co. that the film could perform better overseas. It will launch in most foreign countries this coming week.

The overseas box office continued to be dominated by "Battle of the Smithsonian" and "Angels and Demons." Fox's family sequel grossed $37.2 million on its second weekend, helped by a strong $7.4-million debut in China. Its total international gross is $106 million, almost exactly even with the figure for the U.S. and Canada.

Sony's Tom Hanks thriller, meanwhile, grossed $32.9 million on its third weekend and brought its international total to an astonishing $251.7 million. Despite the film's relatively weak domestic performance, it has by far the biggest worldwide total ticket sales of any movie this year at $356.4 million.

Here are the top 10 movies at the box office in the U.S. and Canada:

1. "Up" (Disney/Pixar): Opened to $68.2 million, right in line with Pixar's best debuts.

2. "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" (Fox): Declined 53% to $25.5 million, bringing the domestic total to $105.3 million. Overseas total is $106 million.

3. "Drag Me to Hell" (Universal/Ghost House): Launched to a modest $16.6 million.

4. "Terminator Salvation" (Warner Bros/Halcyon Co.): Plunged 62% on its second weekend to $16.1 million. Domestic total: $90.7 million.

5. "Star Trek" (Paramount/Spyglass): Continuing to hold up very well, it dropped just 44% on its fourth weekend to $12.8 million. Surpassed "Monsters vs. Aliens" this week to become the year's biggest film at the domestic box office. Total gross: $209.5 million. International total is a much less impressive $101.5 million.

6. "Angels and Demons" (Sony): Fell 48% on its third weekend to $11.2 million, bringing domestic cumulative ticket sales to $104.8 million. Continuing its huge run overseas, however, where it has grossed $251.7 million.

7. "Dance Flick" (Paramount): Sold $4.9 million worth of tickets on its second weekend, down 52%. Domestic total: $19.2 million.

8. "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (Fox): $3.9 million on its fifth weekend, off 52%. Domestic total is $170.9 million, while internationally it is at $170.1 million.

9. "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" (Warner Bros./New Line): Fell 50% on its fifth weekend to $1.9 million. Total domestic ticket sales are a healthy $50 million.

10. "Obsessed" (Sony Screen Gems): Squeaked into the top 10 with $665,000 on its sixth weekend. Total domestic gross for the thriller is a very solid $67.5 million.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 04:05 pm
Hey, Land of The Lost comes out this week. While I don't consider it Sci-Fi, I have a feeling it will be a very fun movie Smile

Might be enough to tide me over until Transformers Wink
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 04:46 pm
@rosborne979,
I watched it when I was much younger, of course -- it was tongue-in-cheek and very creative juvenile fantasy sci-fi. It was often quirky and even satirical. It was unpretentious good fun. Obviously, they're going to play up the comedy, likely the slapstick stuff (physical and verbal) Will Farrell can deliver.

But why has Hollywood twice shelves and are reluctant to make a film of "The Demolished Man?" It's a perfect sci-fi thriller and as relevant today as it was in the 50's. A corporate leader devises and executes a perfect plan to murder the leader of his competitor. Trouble is, some people in the not-so-distant have evolved and developed ESP with the help of technology like Bio-Feedback (which is closer to the truth than can be imagined). The highest rated mind readers are now detectives for the police and paid highly for their talent. If the corporate murderer is caught, he will be sentence for "demolition," which is having his mind wiped clean and replaced with a new mind with new memories, leaving the body intact and unharmed -- he is naturally filled with fear over that prospect (revealing a part of human nature we are sometimes forced to admit is true). He has to find a way to elude being discovered and it's suspenseful and fascinating what fate has in store. It can handle big name stars -- as a matter of fact, Christian Bale would be perfect as the morally and ethically devious lead role. Of course, the novel's model is Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment," but in a new technologically advanced civilization. Cinematic-ally, the images of the future city with all of its' advanced scientific trappings would probably look similar to "Blade Runner" which, to me, is only a formula for success with the critics and at the box office.

Tenser said the tensor.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 04:49 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
But why has Hollywood twice shelves and are reluctant to make a film of "The Demolished Man?" It's a perfect sci-fi thriller and as relevant today as it was in the 50's. A corporate leader devises and executes a perfect plan to murder the leader of his competitor. Trouble is, some people in the not-so-distant have evolved and developed ESP with the help of technology like Bio-Feedback (which is closer to the truth than can be imagined).

Sounds like Minority Report.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 05:42 pm
@rosborne979,
I often thought Philip K. Dick consciously or unconsciously borrowed from "The Demolished Man," but, after all, there's really nothing new under the sun. Stories of robotic exo-skeletons covered with human-like flesh in sci-fi goes back to the 50's.

From The Atlantic (italics and bold are mine):

May 7, 2009

From Star Trek and Transformers to X-Men and Terminator, four sci fi blockbusters show that Hollywood has found its inner geek. And that’s a good thing.

by Alyssa Rosenberg

The Fanboys of Summer

The summer movie war is over, and the fanboys won. Granted, the partisans of movies based on cult comic books and science-fiction franchises went into the battle with some serious built-in advantages. Period dresses, precocious children, and even the most hardened Nazis never really stood a chance against giant robots, deep space, and Hugh Jackman’s muscles and claws in the battle for the American imagination and box-office dollars. In 2007, Spider-Man 3, based on the long-running comics character, and Transformers, the first movie based on a beloved science-fiction franchise, made $656 million in the United States, and in 2008, two comic-book superhero movies, The Dark Knight and Iron Man, grossed $852 million. This summer looks to be no different. In early May, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the fourth movie based on the wildly popular Marvel Comics series about superheroes who get their powers from genetic mutations, raked in $87 million in its opening weekend.

Despite that financial success, the critics are growing restless. The New York Times’ A.O. Scott declared that X-Men Origins: Wolverine is “the latest evidence that the superhero movie is suffering from serious imaginative fatigue.” Slate’s Dana Stevens announced that “I'll be holding comic-book-based blockbusters to a more robust standard” this summer. And Anthony Lane, a film critic for The New Yorker, took a nasty shot at comic book enthusiasts in his review of Watchmen earlier in the year, saying the film “should meet the needs of any leering nineteen-year-old who believes that America is ruled by the military-industrial complex.”

It’s easy to dismiss sci fi flicks as clumsy and loud, but the critiques miss a key virtue. Unlike other genres, fanboy blockbusters are a constantly innovating form, with an important message about the present even as they outline visions of our future. In romantic comedies, the scene can shift from the Civil War to the Los Angeles real estate market as long as boy meets girl amidst the bayonets or billboards. Horror movies can switch weapons with no fall-off in audience long as there are coeds to dice. Come Oscar season, World War II films are such a reliable source of nominations that Kate Winslet’s turn as a sexy Nazi became a simultaneous joke on the genre and a lock for the Academy Award.

Science fiction and superhero movies don’t have the luxury of simply finding the latest neighborhood where attractive singles are settling or the flashiest car on the market and plugging those accessories into a formula. By nature, those films have to imagine the future, to put something on screen that audiences would never see in their everyday lives. Sometimes, those visions are farfetched, unrealistic, paranoid, immature, or deeply cheesy. Of the four major sci-fi movies being released this spring and summer, two feature vengeful giant robots. Another centers on a guy who metalizes his skeleton, and the fourth plants spaceships in Iowa cornfields. They’ll vary in quality, and plausibility, but at least they have something to say about the perils and opportunities of the future.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the first of these movies, is a perfect example of the power of a bad fanboy movie. The film is far too full of cheap-looking special effects and dialogue that seems ludicrous outside a cartoon bubble to be really absorbing. But Wolverine has far more to say about its chosen subject, the scientific manipulation of the human body, than, for example, the romantic comedy Ghosts of Girlfriends Past has to say about relationships between men and women.

The movie is the origin story of one of Marvel Comics’ most popular characters, a Canadian roughneck named Logan, who"thanks to a genetic mutation"can sprout claws and heal rapidly from serious injuries. In the film, Logan decides to undergo a procedure to coat his skeleton in super-strong metal after a series of tragedies leaves him seeking revenge. The experiment Logan participates in provides a breakthrough for a group of scientists who give Logan’s powers to another superhero, Wade Wilson " and then sew his lips shut. When the two modified men fight for the last time the awful power of technology is less evident in Wade’s threatening new abilities than in the mutilation of his formerly delicate, expressive mouth.

The actual science in Wolverine may be outlandish, but the dilemma is not. Debates about the potential applications of available technology color arguments over issues like the morality of screening of fetuses for genetic defects when such screenings could encourage parents to abort children with a wide range of traits. It’s one thing to think about the misdirection of science in the abstract: it’s quite another to watch those consequences acted out violently on screen against a character whose only apparent crime was his verbosity. That one striking image of a character’s mutilated face doesn’t do a lot to redeem a deeply mediocre movie. But it offers more than Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, which dishes up the message that a modicum of contrition expressed at an appropriate moment makes up for a life of emotional abuse.

If Wolverine is about the chilling things human do to each other with the technology they’ve got, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 24) is about what technology can do to humans when it gets out of control. Based on a series of Hasbro toys that can turn from action figures into vehicles or animals, the movies (the first of which was released in 2007) trace an ongoing battle between two factions of robots from outer space, one aimed at colonizing Earth, the other dedicated to protecting humanity.

Michael Bay, the Transformers director , is notorious for using explosions in place of dialogue or character development, and so it’s fitting that the plot of the 2007 entry in the series was subordinate to images of everyday technology turning into instruments of battle. Some of those transformations have a wicked sense of humor, like the cranky stereo that unfolds into a spiny robot that skitters around Air Force One in search of a computer terminal to hack, or the cell phone that explodes into a furious insect, replete with headpiece-sized machine gun and rocket launcher.

But one scene from the first film carries some real menace. Air Force troops stationed in Qatar watch in horror as an F-22, ostensibly a friendly fighter jet, shifts itself into a giant, humanoid robot and then into a massive scorpion that chases the soldiers from beneath the sand. At a time when the American military is bogged down in two intractable conflicts overseas, it’s especially unnerving to think that our troops might not only have to contend with flawed strategies and different cultures, but that their most sophisticated technology might betray them. It’s all too real a possibility: 16 American soldiers have died from electrocution in showers and swimming pools in Iraq, and 94,000 military facilities in the country are under inspection for faulty wiring as a result. The 2009 Transformers sequel promises mainly to be bigger, and louder, and more roboty (the bad guys blow up an aircraft carrier this time!), but its basic premise will remain unsettling no matter how distracting the special effects are.

The Terminator movies go a step beyond the Transformers franchise to abandon any pretense that we might have control over the everyday technology that we rely on. Terminator, unlike Transformers, also boasts an actual backstory rooted in contemporary technology. In the movies’ dystopian universe, a sentient computer system called Skynet has mass-produced robots that are hunting humans and harvesting them for use as test subjects. In Terminator Salvation (May 21), a group of rebellious humans struggles to defeat the machines and win freedom for the captives.

Warner Brothers has drawn an unsettling connection between that future and our present in the film’s advertising campaign. Phrased, and sometimes shot, like a panicked public service announcement, the ads purport to be broadcasts from John Connor reaching out to the audience for help. “We’ve been fighting for so long…and we’ve all lost so very much,” he intones into a microphone. “Make yourselves known to us and we will find you….If you’re listening to this, you are the resistance.”

That pitch ties into one of the movie’s central plot points: Connor and his allies are forced to join forces with a robot who has been given human flesh and human consciousness. Technology has advanced so far that humanity is no longer a matter of biology: rather, it is a matter of choice. Instead of the humans who experiment on each other and with their own bodies in Wolverine, robots are making the rules in Terminator Salvation, with devastating consequences.

And then, there’s Star Trek, a franchise that has endured for more than 40 years by using science fiction conceits to engage real social and political issues. The latest installment opens on Friday. It sweeps into theaters with upgraded special effects, a cast of attractive up-and-comers, critical darling J.J. Abrams in the director’s chair, and predictions that the movie will earn as much as $90 million on its first weekend.

The new movie begins back on Earth, and charts the journey of the franchise’s mainstay, James T. Kirk, from the American heartland to leadership in the multi-planetary military force Star Fleet. This being Star Trek, Kirk will team up with a pointy-eared logician, a sexy linguist, and the requisite nerdy technician in order to stop a guy with facial tattoos and a bad temper who is taking his revenge for the destruction of his home planet by imploding other worlds with the super-sized drills from his mining guild. Also, he can time-travel. It’s all a lot of nonsense in keeping with Star Trek’s high-camp roots.

While Star Trek is set further in the future than the other sci-fi movies out this summer, the film still has echoes of today’s discontents.. In the midst of an economic meltdown, the specter of rampaging industrialists armed not with credit default swaps but gigantic and potentially genocidal mining equipment is particularly unsettling. And in a world grappling with terrorism, a distraught man’s decision to collapse a planet in on itself by turning everyday technology into a weapon is an image that carries a tragic resonance. The chant “Drill, baby, drill” sounds different against the background of planet being destroyed by mining equipment.

That doesn’t mean that anyone will see Star Trek and rush to halt off-shore drilling. Or that Terminator will propel audiences to move off the grid in order to avoid being captured by robots, or that Transformers will convince anyone to get rid of their cell phone. These are movies, after all, not environmental advocacy propaganda or graduate-school lab sessions. And that’s the point. It’s summer, and there’s nothing wrong with wanting air conditioning, an extremely large soda, and something on screen that makes you gasp. But audiences could walk out of theaters with far less illuminating things than stars, robots, and science, in their eyes.

Alyssa Rosenberg is a staff correspondent at Government Executive.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 07:55 am
I don't believe we've seen the big sci-fi or action adventure blockbuster of 2009 yet (maybe there won't be one). Star Trek was close, but it lacked any real luster in the story and Terminator and Wolverine were disappointments (at least to me).

Last year we had Iron Man and Dark Knight, which weren't technically Sci-fi movies, but were still very satisfying.

I guess the remaining hopes for 2009 rest with Transformers and maybe District 9? Is there anything else coming up that I'm missing (Harry Potter is more fantasy than Sci-Fi to me, so I don't count it).
Reyn

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 08:49 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
[...] Terminator and Wolverine were disappointments (at least to me).

What changes would you have made to Terminator to make it better?
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:07 am
@rosborne979,
We may have to wait until the end of the year for James Cameron to save the year for sci-fi, this time Sam Worthington taking the lead and Sigourney Weaver returning under Cameron's direction, now backed-up to December 2009:

http://chud.com/articles/content_images/5/avatard.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/
rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:02 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

We may have to wait until the end of the year for James Cameron to save the year for sci-fi, this time Sam Worthington taking the lead and Sigourney Weaver returning under Cameron's direction, now backed-up to December 2009:

Yes, I'm hoping Avatar delivers the goods Smile
rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:10 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
[...] Terminator and Wolverine were disappointments (at least to me).

What changes would you have made to Terminator to make it better?

I was referring to TerminatorSalvation of course (not the original Terminator), but I would have given it a better story basically. I think you need to spend film-time with the enemy in order to give the story any real sense of fear and challenge, also the villains are usually the most interesting characters.

I would have preferred to see TS spend the first half of the movie desperately trying to get Kyle Reese into the time displacement equipment to chase the original terminator. Kyle goes back in time and says that "they've won the war, skynet was finished" (his words from the original movie), but they could have inserted a plot twist whereby John Connor lies to Kyle before sending him back (to give him hope), and actually they haven't beaten Skynet yet and then for the rest of the film we seen them struggle to survive, perhaps against some T1000's (some of which might be rebelling against skynet itself (ala SCC)). So many amazing stories they could have spun... (but didn't).

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:19 pm
@rosborne979,
Releasing it in December means Cameron believes it has Oscar consideration potential.

From the LA Times:

The buzz surrounding James Cameron’s big-budget return to science fiction has been nothing short of awe-inspiring. The film, a mix of CGI and live action using new techniques Cameron himself helped to develop, was shot with a special 3-D camera (also developed by Cameron). Mix that with the promise of large-scale, hard science fiction that hasn’t been attempted much in the past few years, and you have a project that seems guaranteed to live up to the hype and expectations that are riding on it. The only question (and fear) is what is to become of the cinema geeks overwhelmed by the images that Cameron and his effects crew are putting in front of them. For those with weaker constitutions, we fear the worst.
(Mark Fellman / 20th Century Fox)

From IMDb:
In a distant future, humanity discovers the planet 'Alpha Centauri B-4', and for those scientists and astronauts who've traversed the gulf between neighboring suns and arrived on its alien soil know it as 'Pandora'. A world filled with an incredible diversity of beautiful and deadly ammonia-breathing lifeforms. Its also a world that harbors treasures and resources almost beyond price. But just as the original Pandora's Box wrought devastation on those who would use it for their own gain, so too this world may destroy not just the Pandorans home, but ours as well.

Avatar is the story of a wounded ex-marine, thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival.
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:23 pm
@rosborne979,
I think the idea as for this to be a hook for the next two films. The trouble is, not enough fish are biting. I wouldn't doubt that they shot some footage that was saved to use in T5. International box office, who seem to love American CGI extravaganzas, especially the dark ones, with DVD, pay-per-view, cable and satellite rentals may end up being profitable but will it be enough to make even a fifth film?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:34 pm
@Lightwizard,
Sounds too good to be true Smile I'll start getting my hopes up immediately Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:40 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
So many amazing stories they could have spun... (but didn't).

Would you have liked to see some recognition to the SCC series and see a tie in with the TS story?