Illinois Governor Arrested

okie

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, I have debated ci extensively, and here is my take on it. ci was lukewarm to Obama, even claimed to support McCain way back before this campaign started, but somehow through some thought process, maybe because his natural emotional tendencies caused him to gravitate to the liberal end of the spectrum to oppose conservatives, even the conservative members of his own family, he became a defender of Obama. I think it is more of a dislike of conservatives than a love for Obama, but now ci has invested so much emotional energy into Obama, he simply cannot retreat from it, it would be too much crow to eat. I think ci is a very good example of a goodly percentage of Obama supporters, it is based upon rebellion against traditional moral constraints, not love of Obama, even the press mindset can be described similarly.

So here we are, if Obama is caught in this web, the apologists are going to come out in full force, and we are already seeing that. ci is a good example, and it remains to be seen whether there will be enough intellectual honesty to admit their error if the evidence does in fact stare them in the face. In the meantime, no amount of reasoned debate will move them an inch.

And although I want honor to prevail, for the sake of the country I hope against hope that Obama is innocent because a large segment of his supporters would probably not accept the reality of it. Obama has been viewed almost as a God in many of their minds, and anyone telling them differently would be the issue, not the facts. It would make for very tough sledding for this country. It would not have needed to be this way. If only everyone would have voted based upon real presidential qualifications, instead of race or some other emotional complex that they may be harboring in their heads, then this situation could be avoided. But unfortunately, this election appeared to be some kind of personal cleansing moment for alot of voters, and the press fed that mindset to the hilt. A sad day it has become in my opinion, for America.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:36 am
Sam Zell's financial adviser at Tribune Co. was middleman sought by Blagojevich
Governor sought to withhold Wrigley Field funds unless Chicago Tribune fired editorial writers critical of him, complaint says
By Todd Lighty and Robert Becker | Tribune reporters
December 12, 2008

As Tribune Co. acknowledged Thursday that it received a federal subpoena as part of criminal charges against Gov. Rod Blagojevich, sources confirmed that a close associate of company chief executive and chairman Sam Zell has been interviewed by the FBI.

The Tribune also has learned that the associate, Nils Larsen, is the unidentified financial adviser who allegedly was asked to help get Chicago Tribune editorial writers fired.

Larsen, a Tribune Co. executive vice president, is a 38-year-old financial whiz who was instrumental in Zell's takeover of Tribune Co.

Neither Larsen nor Zell responded to requests for comment.

In their subpoena to the Tribune, federal authorities are seeking memos about potential staff cuts or changes to the Chicago Tribune editorial board, a source said.

A company spokesman has said that neither Tribune Co. executives nor their advisers did anything inappropriate.

No Chicago Tribune editorial writers were fired.

On Tuesday, Blagojevich and John Harris, the governor's chief of staff, were arrested at their homes and each charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and solicitation of bribery.

Blagojevich, upset with editorials that were critical of his actions, allegedly hatched a plan to get editorial writers fired. In November, Blagojevich and Harris reached out to Larsen, identified in court records as "Tribune Financial Adviser."

According to the criminal complaint, Blagojevich instructed Harris to tell Larsen changes needed to be made to the editorial board or the governor would block money for Wrigley Field renovations.

Larsen is Zell's point man on efforts to sell the Chicago Cubs. Tribune Co. owns the Cubs and the newspaper.

Court documents portray Blagojevich as eager to exploit Tribune Co.'s financial problems.

Tribune Co. has been in discussions with the state over the sale of Wrigley Field, which could mean as much as $100 million for the company. Zell has sought to sell the Cubs and use the proceeds to pay down debt associated with his takeover of Tribune Co., which filed for bankruptcy protection this week.

Blagojevich suggested his aides take the issue head-on and that someone might want to talk directly to Zell.

Whether Larsen ever attempted to apply pressure to Tribune officials remained unclear.

At the news conference announcing the arrests, U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald declined to say how far the effort went, "other than the person who was identified as a person to be fired was not fired and still works there today."

According to the complaint, Blagojevich in early November intensified his efforts to cleanse the Chicago Tribune's editorial board of his critics. In a Nov. 5 phone conversation, the governor instructed Harris to warn Larsen that editorials critical of his administration were jeopardizing the sale of Wrigley Field.

Blagojevich urged Harris to tell Larsen "everything is lined up, but before we go to the next level we need to have a discussion about what you guys are going to do about that newspaper."

When Harris said he "won't be so direct," Blagojevich said, "yeah, you know what you got to say."

The next day, Harris reported to Blagojevich that he had spoken with Larsen. Blagojevich asked, "He gets the message, doesn't he?"

Harris replied, "Oh, yeah, he got it loud and clear."
--------------------------------------------

Tribune reporters Jeff Coen and David Heinzmann contributed to this report.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 03:21 pm
Rod Blagojevich: Still Crazy After All These Years
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 05:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Thanks for that article, Joe. While the idea of Fitzgerald cutting a deal for a resignation in exchange for a reduced charge would, perhaps, be quick, I don't think it will happen. He has ambition and would not want to be tainted with being soft on corruption.
okie

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@joefromchicago,
When do we see an article like that on the Reverend Wright, Joe?
wandeljw

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 08:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Illinois, in fact, is the only state where the governor has two official portraits: one full face and one profile.

This is from the link joefromchicago provided. Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 09:34 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

When he does something newsworthy.
okie

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

okie wrote:

Like when Obama does something "boneheaded" again and uses him as his spiritual advisor again?

Darn "boneheaded ideas," such as campaigning for the governor, that guy that is just as crazy as ever.

Or what about the "boneheaded" land deal with Rezko where he came out a few hundred grand ahead, Rezko must be crazy too?
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 02:10 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
His hair is also listed in the indictment.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 04:43 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

okie wrote:

Like when Obama does something "boneheaded" again and uses him as his spiritual advisor again?

Darn "boneheaded ideas," such as campaigning for the governor, that guy that is just as crazy as ever.

Or what about the "boneheaded" land deal with Rezko where he came out a few hundred grand ahead, Rezko must be crazy too?

Get back to me when you start making sense.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 06:46 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

His hair is also listed in the indictment.

ha! that alone should be good for life without the possibility of parole...
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 07:23 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Well, where he's likely to end up, I would guess he will be getting a haircut. So if he is enlisted as some big black guys bitch, he'll not have as much to hold onto.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Just trying to figure out Illinois, Joe. In Obama's case, the Rezko deal was just a "boneheaded" decision, not Illinois political corruption. And now the governor is "crazy" when he was just practicing Illinois politics. Its his hair now that people are focusing on. Just give the guy a haircut, problem solved.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:50 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Just trying to figure out Illinois, Joe. In Obama's case, the Rezko deal was just a "boneheaded" decision, not Illinois political corruption.

What exactly was "corrupt" about that transaction?

okie wrote:
And now the governor is "crazy" when he was just practicing Illinois politics. Its his hair now that people are focusing on. Just give the guy a haircut, problem solved.

Well, I never called Blagojevich "crazy." I said he was "delusional."
okie

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:02 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

okie wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Just trying to figure out Illinois, Joe. In Obama's case, the Rezko deal was just a "boneheaded" decision, not Illinois political corruption.

What exactly was "corrupt" about that transaction?

I guess you don't understand political favors that may amount to goodly sums as being corrupt?

Quote:
okie wrote:
And now the governor is "crazy" when he was just practicing Illinois politics. Its his hair now that people are focusing on. Just give the guy a haircut, problem solved.

Well, I never called Blagojevich "crazy." I said he was "delusional."

Minor sticking point.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 12:12 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
I guess you don't understand political favors that may amount to goodly sums as being corrupt?

You misunderstand. I didn't ask for innuendo. I asked what exactly was "corrupt" about that transaction. Explain your position, don't hint at it.
JPB

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:17 am
Quote:
Democratic leaders nationally are pushing Illinois Democrats to find a way to get Quinn to make the appointment, which under current law would leave the appointee in the seat to the 2010 general election. Democratic leaders, including U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, want a strong appointee who can hold the seat in that election.

But Democrats also are leery that even a Quinn appointee would be tainted by all the activities surrounding Blagojevich, who is accused by federal prosecutors of trying to sell Obama’s vacant Senate seat. Some Democrats want a special election and others are exploring a hybrid which would allow Quinn to make a temporary appointment pending a special election in a few months.

Finding someone to fill that temporary appointment poses some interesting questions. Anyone filling such an appointment would automatically become an incumbent and likely favored to win a special election"unless Democrats support a placeholder appointee of some stature who doesn’t want to run for election.

In his radio interview, Cullerton didn’t directly address what plan he favors, noting only that “with a special election, it’s very complicated because it’s very costly.”

“We need a senator immediately. We need a senator to be there to be voting in the first week of January to support…our incoming president, one of our former colleagues,” Cullerton said.

Cullerton, who’s long been part of the Chicago Democratic political establishment and has long known Blagojevich, said of the charges against the governor: “I’m really outraged and ticked off because of the embarrassment that is unfairly being brought upon our state.” source

I think they should ask Pete Fitzgerald to go back as a place-holder until a special election in the spring, or even to fill the final two years. Peter Fitzgerald wouldn't be interested in seeking reelection in 2010, he's a Republican with one six-year term in the Senate (his choice). He's highly respected within IL and would have instant credibility in IL and Washington. As a Republican, he wouldn't be tainted with Cullerton's Chicago ties. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Edit: He's also the one who pushed for Pat Fitzgerald (no relation) to be the US Attorney in IL. He's a no BS kinda guy and would vote his conscience.
okie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:49 am
@joefromchicago,
More than innuendo, its history, joe. If you are from Chicago, you should know that by now?
okie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:54 am
Wall Street Journal reporting the Chicago Tribune blew the deal, the arrest came prematurely before the actual expected crime, as the scenario seemed to be heading for, could be documented.
But no, instead the newspaper broke the deal they had with the prosecutor.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/12/14/the-real-story-behind-the-rushed-blagojevich-bust-how-the-feds-are-frustrated-by-losing-maybe-half-of-their-case/
JPB

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:58 am
@okie,
Right, that's why he wasn't indicted. It was a criminal complaint. Fitzgerald said as much as his press conference the day the complaint was filed.
0 Replies