Let's get rid of the Electoral College

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 03:26 am
@ossobucotemp,
Hey, Jo, how ya been?

To quote good ole Homesick James: "My home aint here--what I am doin round here?

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 08:37 am
@layman,
OK....

nice music
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 10:42 am
Abolish the Senate. It just aint no fair, I tellya!

Abolish the House. Why should some other guy vote for ME?

We demand DEMOCRACY! NOW!

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard." (H. L. Mencken)

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 03:16 pm
It is more clear than ever that voters REJECTED Donald Trump and his extremist positions. Hillary has passed the two million mark in more ballots cast for her. The electors clarly should do the honorable thing and respect the country's will and vote for hillary, not Trump.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 03:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
If they don't the Electoral College has lost all legitimacy.
0 Replies

Troyads

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Good statement.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 02:12 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

It is more clear than ever that voters REJECTED Donald Trump and his extremist positions. Hillary has passed the two million mark in more ballots cast for her. The electors clarly should do the honorable thing and respect the country's will and vote for hillary, not Trump.

I completely agree with you except the typo "clarly."
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2016 02:57 pm
@oristarA,
since the 1876 "winner-take-all-rule" for electors was finally estqblished, it appears that this system should be reviewed in light of how redistricting has really created an apparent effect on local qnd now national elections
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 01:37 pm
I think the Electoral College is virtuous, but it really doesn't matter because Hillary Clinton losing will never be enough to get it thrown out. On the contrary, her loss will help make sure it stays around for many years to come.

The populations of CA and NY can outnumber the rest of the nation 50 to 1 and it won't make a difference. Constitutional amendments are not, thank God, a product of popular vote. Since the EC benefits low population states, and those states far out number the high pop states, the EC will be around with us for a very long time to come.

This, undoubtedly, seems unfair to many in high pop states and supporters of a candidate burned by the EC, but....hey, you can always promote succession. You probably have a better chance with that then dumping the EC.
George

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 02:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'd just like to see us get rid of the actual electors.

Let each state decide whether they will go winner-take-all or some
proportional arrangement such as Nebraska and Maine use. Then, when the
popular vote is tallied, make the electoral vote conversion automatically.

There would be no more "faithless electors", but of course the objections to
weighted votes would continue.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 04:15 pm
The Electoral College Was Designed To Protect Slavery
http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/12/the-electoral-college-was-designed-to-protect-slavery/
Another argument that slavery was the core reason for the college. I tend to go for this view.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 04:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The Electoral College Was Designed To Protect Slavery
http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/12/the-electoral-college-was-designed-to-protect-slavery/
Another argument that slavery was the core reason for the college. I tend to go for this view.

I think Setanta has debunked this at least twice.

http://able2know.org/topic/125928-1#post-3483562
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 04:40 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't have to accept another's answer if to me this one is sensible.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 04:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Isn't that how bad things happen though? Following the "sensible" instead of the "truth"? A lot of people thought Jim Jones was sensible. Things didn't turn out ok for them.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 05:42 pm
Specific consideration to slavery and the Southern states was a factor in using an electoral system.

In the Records of the Federal Convention, Thursday July 19, 1787 James Madison weighed the appointment of an Executor by the Legislature against one being voted for by the general public and an electoral system being a compromise that would be accepted by the Southern States.

Quote:
The people at large was in his opinion the fittest in itself. It would be as likely as any that could be devised to produce an Executive Magistrate of distinguished Character. The people generally could only know & vote for some Citizen whose merits had rendered him an object of general attention & esteem. There was one difficulty however of a serious nature attending an immediate choice by the people. The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of the Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to the fewest objections.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 05:59 pm
@McGentrix,
The truth according to you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 06:07 pm
I don't hold that slavery was the sole reason, but if you read the information beyond sensationalist headlines, there was a strong element of deferring to slaveholders in setting up the college.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dont hold with Blue posting those unpalatable facts. Do you?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 03:55 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw8AhtAUUAA1RR7.jpg

Actually, a map of US murder rates by county is almost identical to this map.....
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 09:26 pm
Democracy is no more than mob rule, Antifa shows the left is gearing up for it.