What sex is your brain? Take this Sex I.D test.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:
And I don't get the ultimatum. If you have money to split, why would you ask for more than half?

That one is a weird one. I think they need to seriously raise the amount you are dividing to have it make sense. I wouldn't care about what share of 50 pounds I was going to get as much as what share of 10 million I was going to get.

I picked 50% wondering who would ever pick anything else but then on a second read I understood it better. I initially thought each person splitting the money came up with a figure and they had to agree to get the money. Anything other than a 50/50 split wouldn't make much sense.

But the question is really that you get to put out a number, and the other person just gets to agree or disagree to take the remaining amount. Framed that way I guess it might make sense to try to angle for the slight advantage you've been given and pick a number that you feel the other party would agree to but that still gives you the better deal. Thing is, for 50 pounds I'm not going to try to get in the other guy's head over it. 10 million and maybe I try for an extra half a million or so.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:05 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
I think they worded the question wrong - it's basic game theory. They should have said that your object was to get as much of the 50 as possible.

Exactly, because unless they introduce that goal the exercise is pointless. I'd split 50/50 in almost any situation, or even let the other guy have it all because I am not willing to be that selfish.

But make it worth my while, or a competition with a specific goal, and I'd go to the upper 50's based on my selfishness and would probably go low 60s if I were trying to beat the game.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think that was probably a chauvinistic question, thinking that women would
opt for a higher percentage, as opposed to a 50/50 split most men would pick. Laughing

My brain is female - as you can see in Exhibit A on the lower part. The top
part is the male brain.

Exhibit A
http://www.sourcetext.com/images/art/manwoman.jpg
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/results.shtml
hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:24 pm
@OGIONIK,
Wow - exactly the same as mine.... Wink
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
I think that was probably a chauvinistic question, thinking that women would
opt for a higher percentage, as opposed to a 50/50 split most men would pick. Laughing

Women tend to pick a lower amount than men for that exercise and they are not operating on the chauvinistic assumption that you are but rather on the assumption that the different level of aggression is typically male or female.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@OGIONIK,
The session state is preserved through cookies, so people will see their own results or be redirected to the beginning of the test when they go there and they won't see your scores.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:32 pm
I scored about 25, 30 female. I really wish it would show more precision.

Oops, that's more male ...
Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:40 pm
@jespah,
I scored 50 percent female. I had to skip the ruler thing. I don't have millimeters.
cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
@Roberta,
I don't either, but you can just use an online calculator if you care about doing that part.... http://calculator-converter.com/mm_to_inch_millimeters_to_inches_conversion.php
cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:59 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:
12 out of 12 on 3-d shapes.
Hey, cypher, I think it's cause we are artsy folk. Did you put your left thumb on top too?

That's what I thought too, about it being related to artistic thought process--that it just helps if you're used to thinking about the shapes of things... and yup, left thumb on top for me too! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
I now understand now why my wife commanded me to kill the piece of yarn in our bedroom; she saw a bug.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's as good as my sister using the broom to beat to death the false eyelashes on her kitchen floor.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
i scored evenly, right in thee middle that tharr
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
@cyphercat,
Actually you don't have to do a conversion - it's the ratio of ring finger to index finger that they're looking for so you could measure it in light years, hogsheads or gorilla clitoris's and you'd get the same answer.

How male brain of me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:59 pm
Yikes! I think I may be a woman trapped in a man's body. Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 07:15 am
My score was a big fat 0. Right smack in the center. I am a well rounded person I guess. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:54 am
I'm another zero. Scored high on the systemizing, rotating, and other "male" tasks, but also scored high on the empathy and verbal tasks. (Did they care how accurate your synonyms were though? They seemed to only go by the number of words typed.)

Cyphercat's score on the rotating would seem to confirm suspicion I had that it's not only a science/ engineering thing (as they say) but an artist thing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 09:57 am
With just about everybody reporting in scoring right in the middle, I think we can safely assume this isn't a scientific test as has already been determined by RG, yours truly, and others. Smile

Evenso, some of the exercise was interesting to do and the results interesting to contemplate. A pleasant diversion in the sometimes less pleasant mundane day to day duties and activities and/or failure to deal with them. Smile
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 10:20 am
@Foxfyre,
It's as well quite interesting to compare the own results with those of the 255,000 participants. [The methodolgy and some results of the study have been published here: The BBC Internet Study: General Methodology, Reimers, S., in: Archives of Sexual Behavior, Springer US, 23.03.2007, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 147-161]