Cycloptichorn is getting married

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:58 pm
First, let me start by apologizing to anyone I may have offended over the last several days; sometimes when I get hold of an argument, I have a tough time letting go. I don't want the fact that I feel passionately about things to impact the respect and admiration I have for many members here, so I'm actively trying to dial it down a little. So, sorry.

Now, on to the show -

The lovely lady you see below has agreed to be my bride.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2719403373_41f0da8b38.jpg?v=0

Naturally, I'm excited as this is what I've wanted from pretty much day one, 4 years ago. She is the love of my life.

But I must admit that I find the wedding process to be a little intimidating. So many decisions, so many options, so little time. So maybe I could learn from the crowd wisdom and come out with a great time.

At this point, we're planning on getting married in...

http://www.htyellowpages.com/maui/big_maui_map.gif

Lovely Maui, Hawaii. Which I've never been to and know pretty much nothing about. So I guess my first question is: does anyone know anything about Maui? Or getting married? Or both?

Cheers
Cycloptichorn

Note, I thought about making this a question thread, but it seems like it might be many questions in the end, so I figured that's called a discussion...

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Congratulations -- both to you and the lovely lady above!
Lash

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
She is absolutely stunning!!! Best wishes for a wonderful wedding and a truly happy life together!!!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:03 pm
Congrats, One eye and bride of said...

Wink
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:03 pm
@Thomas,
Dang it, Thomas! You ARE quick! Congrats from the wedding planner as well. I'll do whatever I can to help. I mean it. I'm really excited for both of you!
One of the first things I would do is get googling! And ask around. If you don't know anyone who's been or been married there, try wedding-related places like bridal salons, hotels, bakeries even.
Goodness, you've awakened the wedding planner in me. Look out! But really, I hope, I KNOW it will all be fabulous!
hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Congrats Cyclo. Wish I knew something about Maui - or marriage.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:04 pm
Wow! Congratulations, and best wishes and all the rest!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Since I have met both of you, I can say - you two are just delightful and
make such a happy couple. I wish you both all the best in the world and
a very long and happy life together. You really made a great catch with
her, Cyclo, she's just darling!

Congratulations!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
@devriesj,
Thank you.

So we have started planning and googling and asking around. I think we're going to be picking a location first, can't get much of anything printed or sent out to anyone without knowing where it's going to be.

'cept for a save the date card, I guess, one of the 4 to 6 cards involved with getting married apparently.

Cycloptichorn
caribou

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Congrats!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, Cyclo, CONGRATS to you and the "lady." You chose wisely, and it's been a pleasure to have met you and your fiancee a couple of times in San Francisco.
When we meet next month, we'll have to celebrate with a "drink."

Your choice of Maui for your wedding is an excellent choice; that's where my father was born. We spent four days in Maui last February, and it's one of my favorites of the Hawaiian islands. You're gonna love it!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Since I have met both of you, I can say - you two are just delightful and
make such a happy couple. I wish you both all the best in the world and
a very long and happy life together. You really made a great catch with
her, Cyclo, she's just darling!

Congratulations!

Thanks, and might I add that the both of us found you to be just as delightful, and hope that we can get together for another dinner sometime.

And if any of you happen to be in Maui, around the first week of next July, do drop in and be a witness to our wedding, won't you? Laughing

It is an exciting thing!

Cycloptichorn
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Congratulations, my friend. I wish you two the best.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
We all will come, Cyclo!! (just kidding).

The problem with a Hawaiian wedding is, that the guests will need to
travel to the destination, get a hotel and that can be costly for the guests.
What about both sets of parents?

You could get married in SF, and spend your honeymoon in Maui. That
way, it's just the two of you!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's true - but for a couple of things.

First, turns out it's expensive to get a lot of places here in CA, and some are booked solid all the time way in advance.

Second, we don't really mind too much if it's a small thing. I never wanted a large wedding and I don't think my fiancee is that interested in it either.

Third, we'd like it to be truly memorable.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Congratulations!

Is there anything the A2K mavens can do to help?

http://dingo.care2.com/cards/cats/controfreaks.jpg
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:49 pm
@ehBeth,
That's a great picture!

I'm going to go into more depth tomorrow, when I have a better handle on things. Also, I'm supposed to post a better picture of us, so here's us with my parents in Tahoe last year -

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/536205529_fcccb3e37a.jpg

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Just finished a wonderful post destroying your assertions that new petroleum production capacity will not affect world prices. Now I find this!! Something that really is important!

I was fortunate enough to meet you and your fiancee a couple of years ago, and recognized then that you were a likely enduring pair. I wish you both lasting happiness. Love is something that needs constant renewing, but it is the best investment of them all. All the best to you...
Izzie

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's officially on A2K then - oh Cyclop - your good lady is beautiful. Congrats hun xox
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:22 pm
CONGRATULATIONS CYCLO AND MS CYCLO TO BE!!!!!!

PS I voted this thread down. Smile
0 Replies