Cycloptichorn is getting married

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:09 am
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and thoughts!

Now for some nitty-gritty.

So, budget. Between the money I can scrape up, and what our families will chip in, and based on some projections, I think that we are looking at about 14-17k - NOT counting honeymoon costs. I guess that's a pretty good chunk of change to do a marriage with, but of course travelling to Hawaii will take some of it up. On the other hand, many places in Maui are free to get married at, which helps defray the cost - some of the places we looked at here in the bay area were thousands of dollars to rent and I'd rather spend that money going to a cool place, lol.

We've built a big binder (per Soz' suggestion) - entitled 'M&J's wedding adventre' or something like that. I've tried to break the wedding down into a few categories -

Transportation
Lodging
Rehearsal
Ceremony
Reception
Honeymoon

And then there are multiple branches and sub categories out the wazoo.

It's hard to know what to do first. We've chosen a date range (Last week of next June or first week of next July) so that part is good. Now we need to pick a place and reserve that before they get filled up. And send out 'save the date' cards.

It's hard for us to project how many people will be at the wedding. Counting our immediate families (who will come, or I'll kill my brothers lol) we have 11 guests; and then it gets a little crazy, because so many of our friends and associates have expressed interest, that there could be as many as 45 or 50 people if even HALF of them shelled out to come. I doubt that many will, so I'm guessing around 25-30 - when push comes to shove, I fear that many won't be able to afford it.

I'll post some more as the day goes on, but a question: how do I know if I'm picking a good wedding planner? I want someone onsite who will take care of my needs, and I'm not really confident about getting everything set up by myself. I don't know how much is a reasonable fee for them to charge, though.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
eoe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:11 am
My heartiest congratulations, Cyclo! Your bride-to-be is lovely. And you're pretty cute too.
Maui sounds very nice. I agree. Keep your wedding small and do it up big, rather than the other way around.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
So thrilled to learn that you two are getting married. And in Maui of all places.

Seaglass
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Looks like a good start.

For the wedding planner... I don't have experience with that but it's probably a good idea given the distance. (I got married blocks from my house. Smile ) Do you already have access to some sort of a list and you're trying to figure out which one, or are you not sure where to start? If the former, references should help. Ask for them, follow up with them.

edit: For the binder categories, "Invitations" are probably another category you want. We spent a lot of time on those (figuring out who to use, the design itself, the paper, etc., etc.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
@Sglass,
Thanks. I've been told that you might be a good person for advice on this location?

Cheers
Cyclo
littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I know nothing about either marriage or Maui. So, I'm just here to shout out "Congratulations!".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
@sozobe,
Well, we've been using the intertubes to try and find places, and there are some pretty slick websites. But that's a good idea, to ask for references.

Invitations, good idea. My gal has her eye on these recycled ones, which have flower seeds woven in to them; the goal is to get you to plant the card and a bunch of flowers will sprout up. Cute and not that expensive.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Just went and grabbed my binder!

Here were our categories:

Budget/ calendar

Clothing/ rings

Flowers/ decorations

Reception

Music

Photography

Guest list/ hotel reservations

Ceremony

I think I didn't get to the binder phase until after the invites were made -- the originals (I designed 'em) are just loosely tucked into the binder.

Also tucked in, a short list in my husband's handwriting entitled "The Final Conflict." Smile (Last-minute stuff to do.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Nice idea! (The seeds.)
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You bet, I've got my thinking cap on already West Texas Boy. In an hour or so I am heading out to Kona to pick up Merry Andrew.

I will put a notion in your ear. Several years ago I visited Maui and took a ride to the summit of Haleakala Volcano where the observatories are, and inadvertently attended a wedding. It was just beautiful.

I'll stay in touch.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
@Sglass,
Ah, it's nice to hear that you two meet again, what excitement.

Cyclo, my wedding was so very improvised - let's do Monday!! I couldn't
possibly help with any pre-arrangements, except the advice to show up! Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Congratulations, Cyclops!

Like littlek, I'm only here to send my best wishes.

Not suggestions, just an observation:

Dys and I are living in sin and loving it.

Think about it...>] Expenses were not a problem...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@Diane,
Haha, I'm trying to nail her down before she wises up and leaves me for a handsome and successful guy.

Cheers tho

Cycloptichorn
devriesj

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:38 pm
@Diane,
Wedding planner checkin' in! So far things look great! You're definitely on the right track. Just FYI, It's best to get the destination nailed down as soon as possible, 'cause there are all sorts of little details that come from that. I don't wanna make your head swim with all that, but you're doing a great job so far!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Congratulations, Cycl!

Before hiring an event planner, send an e-mail to the hotel in Maui, ask for THEIR event planner. Logistics will probably work out better this way.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:03 pm
@High Seas,
Thanks HS!

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be getting married at a hotel. We've been looking at the sites available, and they are nice, but expensive and a little 'corporate.' A smaller and more remote location is likely.

I wonder, if the hotel we end up staying at can plan events for other locations? I'll look in to that!

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Francis

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, the guy in love, not surprisingly wrote:
Haha, I'm trying to nail her down before she wises up and leaves me for a handsome and successful guy.

She is clever than you think, Cyclo, she wouldn't leave you..

Congratulations and regards to both of you.
devriesj

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Excellent idea! That'd be a huge help, and I'm sure they have lots of experience in helping couples plan their weddings in all different places on the island!
They should be able to help with logistics like: seating (if you want or require it), an officiate, etc.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:20 pm
@Francis,
Thank you, Francis, and I must say it was a great pleasure to meet you last year here in SF. My Fiancee and I are contemplating a Europe trip in the future and I would love to be able to buy you a glass of wine or two - your recommendation, of course!

Cheers
Cyclo
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:29 pm
Congrats! Now my advice may not be very popular, but I say go way small on the wedding and have a mo-crazy honeymoon. Spend money on you guys and not a bunch of wedding-lovin' wimmin.

But I hate weddings, so don't listen to me.
0 Replies