Cycloptichorn is getting married

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, does it have to be June/July?
Things will be much more expensive from May - August, as spring/summer
weddings are the most popular. You can knock off thousands of dollars if
you're willing to choose a different month - Oct/Nov are still very warm months in Hawaii, but the kids are in school and tourism has slowed down
considerably, thus you will have more choices and less money to pay for
accomodations/arrangements.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
CONGRATS! You are brave!

....and when you are in europe, count me in, too. Paris will be a stone's throw away from me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Cyclo, does it have to be June/July?
Things will be much more expensive from May - August, as spring/summer
weddings are the most popular. You can knock off thousands of dollars if
you're willing to choose a different month - Oct/Nov are still very warm months in Hawaii, but the kids are in school and tourism has slowed down
considerably, thus you will have more choices and less money to pay for
accomodations/arrangements.

Yup - we have to work around graduate school schedules. I intend to have a honeymoon after I am married, none of this put it off until later bullshit. We know it costs more, but Summer is the only viable time for us; I can't take off of work, and she can't take off of school and her Practicum, during the other months of the year.

We agonized over this for a while, and eventually said 'f*ck it' and went with what worked best for us.

Ah well, it's only money. At the end of the day, the whole thing will cost less then what some people pay for cars - and not even luxury ones! We can spend that much to have a great wedding.

Cycloptichorn
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, I have some advice that no one will like, but I will give it anyway. The two of you georgous people should quietly elope and save the big bucks for a downpayment on a home. That would create a better future for the two of you than paying for a big wedding.

OK, the party killer is finished.

BBB

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:30 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I like it! I don't get the big wedding thing.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:13 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My thoughts, exactly!

Although Maui does sound nice.

Good luck, anyway !
Diane

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 12:53 am
@margo,
Yes--Robert, BBB and Margo have the best ideas if you really insist on getting married (brave man indeed).

I'm thinking that Hawaii might be less expensive in the summer since the winter months are so popular there due to the climate.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
She is the love of my life.

Love lightens labour and sweetens sorrow.
All the best and adore your darling.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:31 pm
Hey, cyclop-! Just wondering how the planning is going. You've got plenty of time. I just thought if you get 'stuck', I'm here for ya. Good advice so far from those who might know as well. Smile
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:19 am
I believe, a very wise decision. One should not underestimate the luck in finding the right person. In my opinion you should consider yourself lucky.
devriesj

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:37 am
@Foofie,
Foofie ... interesting nickname. Where did you get it? It's so funny that that's what my little brother called my sister and I when we bugged him when we were little - his 'swear', I suppose.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

We agonized over this for a while, and eventually said 'f*ck it' and went with what worked best for us.

you know how much I hate quotes - so I must think this is verra verra important

You've made a great decision - to go with what works best for the two of you - because that's truly what matters.
Diane

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Now that I'm back in the habit, I say, "Amen," to what ehBeth said.

Even though this nun thinks living in sin is still the way to go.
devriesj

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Diane,
Just thought I'd drop by and say hi! How are things, cyclop-? Planning going well? Nothing to share? Been waitin' for an update! Hope all is going swimmingly!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 07:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm late getting this news. Dangnamit! Are clowns invited to the wedding? Just checking to make sure. Now let's see. I'll need a passport to get to Hawaii and I'll have to exchange some money for Hawaiian money. What do they call that Hawaiian money anyhow? And do they have hotels out there with indoor plumbing? So much to do before the big day. I don't have to fly to get there do I? Cause you know, I really hate to fly. And should I bring the Missus? Or will I have more fun at the wedding without her? So many questions.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Congratulations Cy. Let us all know the date otherwise I'll have to get to Hawaii in June and camp out at the airport for the summer watching for you. Last time I did something like that I had a lot of explaining to do to Homeland Security. And they are not all that gentle when they get to strip searching clowns. They put their hands in all kinds of places you don't want to know about.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 10:22 am
Just bumping this up to see if the wedding plans are still on for a month or two from now.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 11:52 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Just bumping this up to see if the wedding plans are still on for a month or two from now.

Haha! Yes, they are still on. I have a lot of updating to do, I forgot I even made this thread! I am excited and a little nervous - not about being married, but about everything going according to plan.

At this point the plans are nearly complete, and what more, the entire event is almost paid for (with the exception of some honeymoon activities). I'll post some pictures of where we're going, staying etc. later today.

Thanks for reminding me Bfly!

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
engineer

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 01:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I missed this thread last summer. Congrats Cyclo! I honeymooned in Hawaii and I can tell you what I enjoyed.

Maui is great for just bumming around and enjoying the beach, but one thing my wife and I really enjoyed was the bike riding tour down Haleakala. The tour operator picks you up at your hotel, takes you to the top of a domant volcano and you spend all morning coasting downhill, often through the cloud layer to sea level. It's around a 10,000 ft drop. Take cold weather gear for the top (at least sweatshirts) and a change of cloths for after you get through the clouds.

We also spent several days in Kauai and I highly recommend it. Maui is fairly built up, but Kauai is pretty rural and amazingly beautiful. Kauai is what you think of when you think of lush Hawaii vegetation. Get a car and go driving. If you see a lot of cars parked by the side of the road, grab your snorkle gear and hike down to the the local beach. (Elvis filmed his beach movies along a beach where you have to climb down a steep hill face by going tree to tree. The beach was worth it.) Drive along Waimea Canyon, stopping frequently to look at the amazing sights. Best waterfalls ever. I didn't do the helicopter tours, but I hear they are excellent.

I didn't do Volcano National Park on Hawaii either and I still regret it. I don't know how much time you have, but those are some ideas from my trip.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 04:48 pm
@engineer,
They also filmed Bali Hai in Kauai, and Charo owns a restaurant on the north side of the island.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:53 am
Okay, update time.

The wedding has been set for Friday, July 3rd, at a beach house in McKenna Cove, Maui. Here's a picture of the house - a painting, anyway -

http://www.sachs-maui.com/images/hawaiian_way_matt.jpg

And here's what the lawn where we're getting hitched looks like -

http://static.vsocial.com/theknot/022008/photos/72dd7237f3459276e23fac9c7c2059eb_player.png

Not too shabby.

We went with a nice lady named Bernie at White Orchid Weddings - they have a beautiful website -

www.whiteorchidweddings.com

We will be in Hawai'i from June 29th to July 13th, and visiting the islands of Maui, Kauai, and Oahu for two days at the end. At this point we have about 18 guests coming to the wedding, which frankly is a relief - every time I think about inviting someone else, all I see is another mouth to feed. Receptions are aspensive!

Outfits are picked out. Rings purchased (hers has a pearl and a couple of diamonds, mine is Titanium), flowers are picked out, cake picked out, officiant picked out (I wanted a big fat Hawaiian guy, and our wedding coordinator hooked us up with one -http://www.alapaki.net/).

I'm starting to get pretty excited. It's only 6 weeks now until the wedding date, heck 5 weeks until we leave. Still a lot to do between now and then.

Decisions still to be made that I would appreciate any and all input on -

What to do in Kauai on the honeymoon?
Where to stay in Waikiki?
Whether to have a guitar player or a harpist at the wedding?
Restaurants that we HAVE to go to, locals' favorites etc.
Gifts for groomsmen and the officiant?
Gifts for our mothers?
Gift baskets for guests?

I'll put in more pictures and stuff later today.

Cheers to you all,
Cycloptichorn