So....Will Biden Be VP?

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:16 am
Sure looks like my boy is on the shortlist.....although I do agree that he would be great in the capacity of Secretary of State.....what say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 43,588 • Replies: 295

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:21 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
He's a safe choice for Obama, seems well liked, but doesn't really reinforce the 'change' message. He doesn't bring a state with him. He's a middle choice for me, I wouldn't be upset.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:21 am
I'm not sure about Biden. I've always considered him to be a bit questionable, but I guess most politicians fit that tag.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Choosing Biden will make the McCain victory that much easier to attain Cool
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
in your opinion. you're entitled to it.
sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I've brought up Biden as a possibility for a long time, too. I've never been really wild about him -- not fervently hoping that he's chosen, or anything. BUT in all this time of following the race pretty closely, nobody else has really seemed better to me.

Bayh has several issues. Kaine is OK but I don't think he'd really bring that much to the ticket -- he and Warner will campaign for Obama in Virginia anyway. (Those seem to be the other big two). So I guess I'm hoping for Biden. We'll see.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:34 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Yeah, I know Mr. Green
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:41 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Biden would balance Obama's utter lack of foreign policy understanding, let alone experience, but he would still only be the VP. Why might we expect Obama to rely upon Biden once he is elected?

I like Joe when he isn't being a partisan hack. I certainly would rather he were President than Obama.

Biden, however, doesn't plug Obama's executive experience hole though.

Jeez, the guy has a huge foreign policy void, a huge national security void, and a huge executive experience void. Who should he pick for his VP?

George Herbert Walker Bush!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
August 19, 2008
Biden: 'I'm Not The Guy'
Delaware Sen. Joe Biden told reporters staking out his Wilmington, Del., house that he would not be Obama's running mate choice. "You guys have got better things to do, I'm not the guy," Biden said, according to ABC News.
Biden's profile skyrocketed following his requested trip to Georgia to consult with government officials. As chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, his greatest strength appeared to be a fitting complement to Obama's greatest perceived weakness.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/veep_watch/2008/08/biden_im_not_the_guy.html
nimh

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:28 pm
@sozobe,
Soz, what do you think about Sebelius?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
The report I noticed said that none of the contenders, even the pick, have been told who it is. Biden saying that he "is not the guy" means little. In my opinion Obama needs a man who knows how Washington works, of all the people on the short list ONLY Biden would be a good choice. He also knows how to reach out to the GOP, a must for any Obama running mate
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:47 pm
@nimh,
There's a rumor going around that she's the pick because of some domain name ownership registrations that are linked to obama for america.com. I'll see if I can relocate a link to the blog speculation about it.

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=1747

Quote:
Barack Obama chooses Kathleen Sebelius for Vice President
August 18, 2008
We have a credible lead that Barack Obama will be announcing Kathleen Sebelius for Vice President / VP.
Our sources work within an ad agency that is hired by the Obama campaign, and have noted that the vast majority of the discussions there are regarding material logistics in terms of Kathleen on the vice president ticket. Now until this is verified please file it as rumor, however our sources on this are not bad.. and have yet to be proven wrong.

We held some general opinions prior to this little research project. One of them being that they wouldn’t have multiple domain providers, it becomes a hassle.. so the chances are they used the same registrar.
The Main BARACK OBAMA site is using Godaddy as their registrar and uses DomainControl.com as their DNS… pretty generic.. as anyone can pretty much do that…
Now were it get’s interesting is the other contenders…
Domain Name: BARACKOBAMA.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Name Server: NS05.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS06.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
It appears OBAMASEBELIUS.COM is owned by the Obama Campaign, and the ‘hidden’ registration will turn into a website after the announcement. Our lead noted that a site is already being designed .. and advertising agencies are always full of leaks. Again file as rumor until verified

snood

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:01 am
@Butrflynet,
Of all those named as possibles, I'd take Biden. For reasons already named (foreign policy chief among them), but also because he'd eagerly serve as the kind of attack dog Obama could use to counter the low blows. Only problem with ole Joe is that he doesn't have an 'off' button, and could easily step on his dick if not reeled in.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:29 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I bet Obama names Mrs. Bill Clinton Shocked
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:31 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Only if Hillary KKKlintler picks him and then somehow miraculously wins the election. Oinkbama is toast, actually trailing now by five or six points in the most recent polls.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:39 am
@Butrflynet,
Sebelius ... WHO?

Where did she come from? Never heard of her. I don't think a no-name would be a good choice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:49 am
@nimh,
Eh.

Before Hillary started actively pissing me off, I thought she wouldn't be a good choice for VP if Obama got the nomination because of (among other reasons) the "two firsts" aspect. I think some people are inspired by the "first" thing, and it's a positive. I think other people really have to overcome that -- they're willing to vote for Obama despite the whole "first black president" storyline, rather than because of it. And making it "first black president" PLUS "first female vice president" just adds more complication and more vulnerability, IMO.

I also don't think she's enough ballast when it comes to experience.

She seems cool, as a governor, and she and Obama seem to get along well. Maybe a cabinet position? But I don't think she should be the VP.
Lash

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:51 am
Yeah--Biden would plug up some experiential deficits, but he has that same loose cannonism that McC suffers from... Obama's people would probably spend most fo their time putting out Biden gaffe fires.... I guess the problem is when you look at the other names Obama seems to be considering... Kaine and Bayh...so boring... Clinton...he'd spend more intelligence spying on her than he would China... Compared with the other choices, Biden doesn't seem too bad. I guess he's said definitively that he's not the guy, though.
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 06:55 am
@Lash,
Like others, I don't put too much stock in that. He evidently really doesn't know, and that could just be his gut feeling (or he could purposely be putting people off the scent).

The First Read guys were speculating a while ago that Biden was really holding himself in check, for a long time, and they wondered if that meant he was showing that he COULD. He was still saying sharp, attack-doggy stuff but was being really disciplined (ungaffe-y but also in terms of leaks, that sort of thing). They saw that as an indication that he was trying hard for the VP position and doing a good job of it.
nimh

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:03 am
@sozobe,
Ok, thanks Soz!