So....Will Biden Be VP?

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 08:14 am
@nimh,
Heh, I had a similar reaction...

However Brooks has been vacillating between those two (Obama, McCain) and if Biden pushes him to Obama I'd take that as a good sign.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:43 am
@sozobe,
Think EDWARDS... Chet Edwards of Texas.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:55 am
@H2O MAN,
Christ, we agree on something. I think that if Obama picks Chet Edwards, he will do real well with that choice.

Cycloptichorn
snood

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Never heard the name until this AM. What's the scoop on him?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:34 am
@snood,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chet_Edwards

He's 57, has been in the house for 17 years, and keeps winning re-election as a Democrat in a conservative district. The Republicans re-drew his district (during Delay's illegal bullshit) a few years back to be much more conservative, and he won anyways. Socially more conservative then Obama, but reinforces his economic and foreign policies.

He could flip Texas. Us Texans love voting for our hometown boys, he's proven himself popular in the center of the state, and it would be a hell of a thing. The only downside is the signs would say 'Obama/Edwards,' which is a little too reminiscent of 2004 for me. Maybe they could say 'Barack/Chet' like Hillary used to do.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:39 pm
@snood,
Does anyone around the globe who ruins the decent working people's life?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:41 pm
@snood,
Does anyone around the globe
care about who wish to ruins
the decent working people's life?.
Change will never start its journey from the corporate controlled corpocracy which is nothing to do with democracy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:13 pm
@sozobe,
Andrea Mitchell (NBC) reports that Bayh and Kaine were told it wasn't them.

Marc Ambinder (who is pretty trustworthy with these things usually) says the text message announcing the pick will go out tomorrow morning, a few hours before a scheduled rally/ thingie in Springfield. (Presumably VP will be officially announced there? Dunno.)
Below viewing threshold (view)
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:23 pm
NY Times is running a headline saying Biden is the VP.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:43 pm
@H2O MAN,
Fox News says it is Biden.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, H2O Man!
okie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:54 pm
@okie,
Maybe Obama liked that Biden compliment to Obama:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said.

So Obama is the first one, Joe?

I see all the Obamaites are so excited about the vp pick, they all went to bed apparently.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:01 am
@okie,
Not everyone, Okie!

He will dovetail nicely with Obama's economic message and he certainly has the necessary experience to step in if he has to. And I think he'll hold his own well against Mittens, or whoever McCain ends up picking for VP.

As an aside, and something that hasn't been discussed much about him, his wife is a true winner. She'll do well too.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:07 am
@Cycloptichorn,
How about some insider information, cyclops, at this late hour? I know you would pretend to be happy with any vp pick, but what is your very honest opinion about all of your liberal friends and acquantances, are people going to be happy, very enthusiastic, just okay, mildly disappointed, or greatly disappointed over Biden. I want an honest answer, cyclops. I think it is going to be just okay at best, and mostly mildly disappointed. Of course, the reaction is going to run the gamut, but what do you think will be the dominant reaction?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:24 am
@okie,
Okay, honest answer: I am happy with the pick. I am not shocked or overjoyed with the pick, but out of all of those who were reported as being 'vetted' by Obama, he was the best choice.

Frankly, my personal distastes aside, the best strategic move would have been to pick Clinton. But, yaknow, I heard some rumors earlier this year about Bill being wrapped up in another affair, so I can see why they might shy away from it.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks for honesty, but I am wondering about Democrats in general? I will have to wait for the next few days, and watch the polls.

Personally, I think it was a decent choice from the standpoint that he knows he is in deep trouble with foreign policy, and needs help, and so he went for Biden, but politically, I don't think it is a great pick, and I don't think it will gin up much enthusiasm. After all, how much support did Biden get when he ran, very little to almost none.

I agree about the Clintons, but for crying out loud, what is so wonderful about the Clintons, and what have they ever done to get where they are? They are an anomaly, period, there is no logical reason for them to be popular, and Hillary is not even likable, I don't get it. They couldn't be elected dog catcher in lots of places. I will shut up about the Clintons, but I just can't get over how in the world they ever got where they are? Count on it though, cyclops, Hillary is not happy, and she may just work behind the scenes to see that Obama loses, so that she can run 4 years from now after McCain is too old to run again.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 01:03 am
@okie,
No, its Al Sharpton !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I was pretty certain it was Biden when I went to bed; woke up this morning, saw the headlines, and was happy about it!

I've been saying "Biden" almost as long as I've been saying "Obama." I think he makes the most sense as Obama's VP.

Some of the reasons I've already given:

- Experience (dude knows a lot)
- Attack-dog ability (lookin forward to the VP debate now!)
- Ballast (not another "first" -- a reassuring old white guy)

One more:

- His son is about to be deployed to Iraq. I don't think he'll advertise it, but it's one of those backstories that gives more oomph to whatever he says about Iraq, IMO.
squinney

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:41 am
The Biden pick sealed my vote. It would take a lot for me to change my vote now. I've been a Biden fan for a long time. He comes across as "real" and genuine, his stance on issues is in line with mine for the most part and god forbid... He could be president.

Good choice.
Lash

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 06:46 am
@squinney,
Biden will definitely make things interesting. (laughing) His glowing remarks about McC will be hard to live down, though. It's hard to turn around and say you didn't mean it.... They're friends.