School Lunches, or What Am I Sposed To Do Without a Fridge?!

sozobe

Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:14 am
Fabulously awesome!

Hey, any new recipes? We're heavy into repetition these days, I could use some inspiration...
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:21 am
scroggin.

Dried fruit and nut mix.

snails/pinwheels (did I do this before?)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 17 Mar, 2008 03:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hey, any new recipes? We're heavy into repetition these days, I could use some inspiration...

How about some California Rolls?

1 whole wheat flour tortilla
4 slices deli shaved turkey breast
1 slice mozzarella cheese
4 thin slices cucumber
4 slices avocado
alfalfa sprouts

Layer tortilla with turkey breast, cheese, cucumber and avocado slices, and a handful of sprouts. Roll it up and slice in half. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
Easy to eat, even on the way to the playground, which is important to the little ones.

Hot dog in philo dough

Prepare the dough according to the package description, wrap around
a hot dog and bake it for 10 minutes in the oven.
If sozlet likes spinach, you also can make a filling with spinach and ricotta.
My daughter likes it also with dried tomatoes (in olive oil) and feta cheese.

Spaghetti Omelet

cooked noodles
2 eggs
Parmesan
1 Tomato diced
salt, pepper to taste

Mix the eggs with the parmesan and diced tomatoes, pour over cooked
noodles and bake in the frying pan until golden brown.

-----

One of my daughter's favorite is a "Swiss Roesti"

cooked sliced potatoes
bacon
olive oil
salt, pepper

Give all ingredients in a frying pan and bake until brown (my daughter
likes the potatoes almost burned).
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:36 pm
Wow, thanks!! Great stuff!

They're just to eat cold, no need to keep them warm?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:48 pm
Either way is fine. It tastes good when it's cold or warm.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 08:35 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I'm looking for more healthy snack ideas if anyone has them. The ducklet doesn't eat fruit and I'm having trouble finding things for snack time that aren't too loaded with sugar and that are significantly different from what she ate for lunch.

Can't believe school year is coming to an end. I wanted to ask you FreeDuck if you have looked at the book " Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. Basiically it is a wayt o puree fruit and veggies and hide them. I don't like the deceptive thinking but there is a theory out there that once the taste buds getr used to the flavor and they actually get the nutrients from real fruit , they may actually start eating fruit and veggies. It has things like chocolate pudding which is made with cocoa and avocado puree. Pinl pancakes whic use Beet puree and store bought pancake mix.

Also we really had sucees with the Stainless Thermos food carriers from Target. They make them in Fun colors and I was able to pack soups and fried rice and they stay at the perfect temperature. I got thermoses in matching themes for drinks too and it keeps drinks and or water cold for 8 hrs.
0 Replies

DrMom

Tue 22 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 23 Apr, 2008 05:21 am
One thing that's been a big hit is frozen mango chunks from Trader Joe's. I put them in a regular (non-insulated) container in the morning, and by lunchtime they're mushy but still cold (and help keep everything else cold).
0 Replies

mismi

Wed 23 Apr, 2008 05:38 am
We use frozen blueberries Soz, the boys love that. Also I freeze their yogurt. My boys are easy to please though. They actually thrive on routine so I don't have to be real creative. I am the one that wants them to branch out...I just do it at supper though since they are so intent on routine at school.
0 Replies

DrMom

Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:18 am
I was consumed with what would could be frozen and would thaw well until I volunteered at lunches at school and saw the ice packs. got a sheet which can be cut and now I put in on things like fruit slices, Turkey sandwiches( was told Turkey gets " too wet" by 4yo) or wrap it around drinks. Mostly they bring them back and I pop it in the freezer. My 8yo punctured one in school to see what comes out ( which is nontoxic) I hope he did not taste it !! Was reminded not to do it again and so far has not happened again.
Also saw these Reusable Ice things in fun shapes like basket balls etc. have not found them anywhere yet.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 23 Apr, 2008 03:54 pm
The frozen mango are a very good idea, I'll try that. Frozen blueberries are a bit too messy, it discolors the fingers and leaves nasty stains -
my kid wears white uniform shirts, so that's a no no, but I use blueberries in the morning for her her cereal.
0 Replies

mismi

Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:25 am
DrMom wrote:
I was consumed with what would could be frozen and would thaw well until I volunteered at lunches at school and saw the ice packs. got a sheet which can be cut and now I put in on things like fruit slices, Turkey sandwiches( was told Turkey gets " too wet" by 4yo) or wrap it around drinks. Mostly they bring them back and I pop it in the freezer. My 8yo punctured one in school to see what comes out ( which is nontoxic) I hope he did not taste it !! Was reminded not to do it again and so far has not happened again.
Also saw these Reusable Ice things in fun shapes like basket balls etc. have not found them anywhere yet.

I got mine at Target. We have basketballs and baseballs and footballs...

C.J. - the blueberries are messy, they use spoons though and don't seem to have too much trouble with it. But they don't wear uniforms - so I really don't worry too much about it.
0 Replies

DrMom

Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:45 pm
Any Breakfast ideas?

I don't want to give them cereal everyday. Especially if it is a cereal of their choice. I try fruit, Milk and the third thing is either nutella sandwich on whole wheat, Egg ( not so tempting in summer) or Cereal.
Have been thinking about baking banana bread or muffins from "Deceptively delicious" but never wake up early enough. I hardly have time to do my hair which is a nice excuse for me to drop off 4yo at car lane and not walk with her. " you don't want Mommy to be seen in Nighttime hair do you?
0 Replies

dadpad

Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:53 pm
Nutella should be banned. As should poptarts. couldnt think of a better way to get a bulk load of suger into a preschooler short of intraveinous drip

Yoghurt for breakfast.
0 Replies

DrMom

Sun 27 Apr, 2008 08:31 am
I think I am drawn to Nutella because of Iron content. Nutella actually has same amount of iron as beef or bread, I don't mind some sugar as long as they are also getting their whole grain and calcium from milk, if they will eat their whole grain bread with Nutella I don't know if I should keep it from them just because of Sugar. Sometimes I put it on wholegrain tortillas and we call them Tortilla Cigars. I read some research that sugar makes kids hyper is a myth. My problem with sugar is only empty calories and dental caries. If I manage to brush their teeth before we head out !!!

My challenge is usually with providing enough iron because at one year of ager my son was iron deficient. If you look at Foodlabels most foods are very low in Iron that includes Yogurt. I should restart wheaties probably.

As far as Poptarts. This is the first time I bought Poptarts because I am impressed with this particular brand I found. Whole grain, organic, with real fruit filling. As much or more iron than bread, I think that is a good deal. I would never bring those regular Poptarts home. I found these at Costco and I feel comfortable after reading the Nutrition label.

I like yogurt but if they drink milk yogurt has no added benefit nutritionally to add to fruit and milk. We use yogurt and yogurt smoothies for snacks extensively.
I managed to bake banana bread yesterday before leaving for work, Me and my husband ate most of it but they tried and I am happy.
0 Replies

DrMom

Sun 27 Apr, 2008 08:39 am
Quote:
I got mine at Target. We have basketballs and baseballs and footballs...

Thanks, I will keep checking on Target or order online from Target. I love living next doors to Target !!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:37 am
No sweets in the morning here either. My child eats either toast with
butter, cereal (low sugar), hot pockets, or hot oat meal. I usually give
her a banana on the side.

Dr. Mom, if you're concerned about his iron content, then give your
son a sandwich with liver sausage in the morning. THe iron content is
quite high, and it's not loaded with sugar. Nutella is not a good source,
especially when it contains 210 g of sugar.
0 Replies

DrMom

Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:43 pm
What is your concern with sugar, Wt.Gain, Dental issues or Behavior problems.
0 Replies

DrMom

Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:44 pm
What are hot Pockets?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:32 pm
My daughter can't handle sugar very well, she gets very hyper and
goofy, giggles non-stop. Not too good shortly before school.

Hot pockets are stuffed sandwiches - you pop them in the microwave
for a minute or two and it's a great breakfast. I buy the one with
egg and bacon filling. http://www.hotpockets.com/
0 Replies