Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread V

McTag

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:
McTag wrote:
Just saw this in the paper. I thought it might interest some of the people on this thread, if there are any left.

FYI McT ... this thread has been "replaced" with THIS ONE.

Obviously you may continue to post in this thread, but I thought I might explain the dearth of postings here lately.

Thanks, T. That other thread does not look as much fun. I liked the Aunt Sally nature of this one.
I could almost feel sorry for your Mr Bush now if he had not wrought so much harm, with so little grace or aforethought, or knowledge or competence or care.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:14 am
"...or care" is the galling part of Bush; the compassionate conservative.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 01:38 pm
AG Gonzales not only approved torture of our prisoners, but his aides broke the laws in their hiring practices.

Gonzales Aides Broke Laws in Hiring, Report Concludes

Article Tools Sponsored By
By ERIC LICHTBLAU
Published: July 29, 2008

Senior aides to former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales broke the law by using politics to guide their hiring decisions for a wide range of important department positions, slowing the hiring process at critical times and damaging the department's credibility and independence, an internal report concluded Monday.

Monica Goodling, a former Justice Department official, testified before Congress in May 2007 at the height of the scandal over the firings of nine United States attorneys.

The report, prepared by the Justice Department's inspector general and its internal ethics office, singles out for particular criticism Monica Goodling, a young lawyer from the Republican National Committee who rose quickly through the ranks of the department to become a top aide to Mr. Gonzales.

Ms. Goodling, who testified before Congress in May 2007 at the height of the scandal over the firings of nine United States attorneys, introduced politics into the hiring process in a systematic way that constituted illegal misconduct, the report found.

Last month, the inspector general, Glenn A. Fine, released a separate report that found a similar pattern of politicized hiring at the Justice Department in reviewing applications from young lawyers for the honors and intern programs. The new report released Monday goes much further, however, in documenting pervasive evidence of political hiring for some of the department's most senior career, apolitical positions, including immigration judges and assistant United States attorneys.

The inspector general's investigation found that Ms. Goodling and a handful of other senior aides to Mr. Gonzales developed a system of using in-person interviews and Internet searches to screen out candidates who might be too liberal and to identify candidates seen as pro-Republican and supportive of President Bush.
0 Replies