Betting on assassinations and terror attacks

au1929

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
Scrat
I posted that article just for you. I know you needed a lift.

Walter
Must change my modis operandi. Always keep them guessing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:14 pm
anyone taking bets on how soon Poindexter is history?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:17 pm
au - Which is why I still think you're an okay guy. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:18 pm
dyslexia wrote:
anyone taking bets on how soon Poindexter is history?

I've done so ealier, dys. (Quotes are terrible now :wink: )
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:27 pm
dys
Before I bet I need to know the line. [betting line that is] If the odds are good enought maybe it's worth a shot. Sad Embarrassed
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:13 pm
I just posted on another thread: Poindexter's out. In this pm's news.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:14 pm
But keep your eyes on him, watch where he goes.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:46 pm
Perhaps he'll have a show on Fox. He's got the kind of reckless disregard for the rules that righties find irresistible...
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Perhaps he'll have a show on Fox. He's got the kind of reckless disregard for the rules that righties find irresistible...

What rules did he recklessly disregard?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:52 pm
I seem to recall he had some connection to the Iran-contra affair.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
Scrat wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

What rules did he recklessly disregard?

Just the one about keeping your neck away from the chopping block's neighborhood when the ax is flying around.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 02:57 pm
yeah i kinda remember him pleading non compos mentis or was that reagan?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:17 pm
I can't recall...... Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 04:11 pm
dyslexia
That was Reagan and Bush senior. Oliver North fell on the sword for them. Can you ever imagine a Lieutenant Colonel ever having the power to effect that transaction on his own.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 04:15 pm
What rules did Poindexter disregard?

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/execsum.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4358017,00.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:12 pm
Hmm, there was an editorial that somewhat answered my question on the thinking behind this to-me-movie-scenario..this morning, and then I left for work. Back if I can snag it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:24 pm
OK, Todd Buchholz in the NYT, clarified a bit for me, a person that doesn't think about markets routinely, why this would have come up as an idea in the first place...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/31/opinion/31BUCH.html?th

I am not for this, I roll around horrified, but I want to understand the thinking.
I am capable of changing my mind or shifting my opinion when I understand more and I want(ed) to look at the idea without the bias of knowing the people who proposed this, which I admit to having, for good reasons.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:12 pm
Here's an interesting analysis of the Poindexter follies from the Business Section of the Times -- it likes the idea but thinks it got bad press. I'd say that at least 70% of the problem with the idea is its origin. From the Pentagon. From a part of the Pentagon formerly considered interesting and useful, now converted into a laugh 'n' dread factory run by one of the seamiest people attached to the Reagan-Bush slum. So it's an interesting article, with "merit," as Scrat might say, but it misses a few points...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/31/business/31SCEN.html
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:11 am
Scrat wrote:
I fail to see what is wrong in tapping any resource we can that might help predict--and thereby prevent--future acts of terrorism.

au1929 wrote:
Scrat
My friend unfortunately you fail to see anything that this administration does as wrongheaded. Apparently members of congress did. Rumsfeld [little Caesar] has allowed the power he wields to infect him mentally. His next assignment should be in an asylum, as an inmate.

au -- if you're right and nothing except Scrat's alleged pro-Bush bias explains his favorable opinion of this futures market in terrorism, how come the leading liberal newspapers of the country agree with Scrat and disagree with you? The New York Times and the Washington Post have both defended these markets in their op-ed pages. The New York Times article will become unfree soon, so I'll quote it in full length here. The Washington post is similar in spirit. There's also an article on Tech Central Station that addresses the concerns raised by the senators in somewhat more detail.

The New York Times wrote:

Are you still saying, au, that it takes a Bush groupie to support such an idea?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:18 am
Oops .... Tartarin, I didn't see you already posted the New York Times article. Sorry!
0 Replies