Marriage Amendment, My Ass!

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 01:12 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

The "anything goes" attitude of you and Cycle goes against many principles created by the founding fathers of this great society that we helped build.

You are 100% incorrect about this. Our Constitution was specifically designed and crafted to preserve individual freedoms from Governmental control.

Quote:
So if "anything goes" is the excepted norn, then Polygamy should be accepted, etc...

Sure. I don't have a problem with polygamy at all.

Cycloptichorn

Then you should have a ball with incest. How about marrying your Dog for medical benefits (for the Doggie that is).

Anything goes...right?

red herring.

polygamy causes no harm beyond those crazy enough to think it's gonna work for them.

incest. i always love it when this one comes up; 1) it's generally accepted that, like rape, it has more to do with dysfunction than with love. and 2) the religious right brings it up all of the time as a bad thing.. yet fervently embraces a religious myth that god created adam and eve in a singular way, and they had children. the fount of all humanity.

so, let's see.. hmm adam and eve. their children. nobody else.... and now here we all are.

dogs ? for medical benefits ? right... it's hard enough keeping those for myself. let poochies get their own. l'il gold diggers.

it's amazing how people can jump from socially imposed taboos to the most extreme and bizarre conclusions and lump them all in the same pile.

i mean, there is a difference between the concepts of consenting adults and acts forced upon another, isn't there?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 04:56 pm
You mean Adam and Eve weren't married? Shocked
You mean Cain's wife was begot by incest? Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
Re: Marriage Amendment, My Ass!
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I had just been cutting back my crepe myrtle tree in 90 plus weather, and I was feeling a bit pooped. I didn't like how I was feeling so I slapped on my blood pressure cuff.

I had not hit the start button, when my phone rang. It was some organization touting a petition that would put a "Marriage Amendment" before the Florida voters. In short, the amendment would define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Apparently, they needed 21,000 more votes to get the amendment on the ballot.

I wanted to scream at the person at the other end of the phone. Problem is, the "person" was a robot. I was so mad that I could spit.

My blood pressure was fine, but my pulse was up the roof.

Just how do we stop these jokers from attempting to deprive every committed couple the right to be legally joined?

http://www.florida4marriage.org/

Looks like they got more petitions since they made the recording. Ugh!

Who should decide the social makeup of our society?

Each individual has the right to do so for themselves, within the boundaries of negatively affecting others.

Cycloptichorn

You did not answer the question. Why would I expect you would?

Wanna try again?

He did answer the question; I think you just don't have a reasonable reply.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:12 pm
And I again dare anyone to explain how two men marrying each other in Hawaii would have any effect on my quality of life here in Texas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:12 pm
woiyo wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Woiyo, I think it's a shame that you've not chosen to follow native traditions. They had/have much in their societies that I respect. Their attitude toward the two-spirited has always impressed me.

Who said I do not follow my "Native traditions"?

You don't seem particularly comfortable with the two-spirited who live with, and among, us.

(didja ever figger out who the Reverend was?)
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:17 pm
DrewDad wrote:
And I again dare anyone to explain how two men marrying each other in Hawaii would have any effect on my quality of life here in Texas.

I don't believe anyone has argued that it would affect your quality of life, so why should he have to explain anything of the sort?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:19 pm
That has been one of the key arguments in the "defense of marriage" movement. That somehow gay people marrying each other devalues "traditional" marriages.

And it is a general challenge, not specifically aimed at woiyo.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
My heterosexual marriage has been deeply wounded by gay marriage in Massachusetts. I... mean... how can I value my marriage with my wife when they are doing that...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:38 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You mean Adam and Eve weren't married? Shocked
You mean Cain's wife was begot by incest? Shocked

Laughing

don't even get me started on Noah's Ark.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 05:44 pm
Didn't they just release the real story of Noah's Ark? It was a flop, too.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:15 pm
DrewDad wrote:
That has been one of the key arguments in the "defense of marriage" movement. That somehow gay people marrying each other devalues "traditional" marriages.....

you'd think that spousal abuse and divorce or whatever would head the list of what devalues marriage.

it's humorously ironic to me that in light of the way that the christian right has treated not only gays, but unwed mothers and woman who choose to terminate a pregnancy as being "unworthy of god's love" that the pope just released a document stating that any church other than the catholic church is not a real church, but merely an ecclesiastic community.

so i guess in the interest of promoting the sanctity of religion, he "passes a bill" denying non-catholics full salvation.

of course, protestant leaders are outraged and wonder just who the hell does he think he is, telling them who's got a real church and who doesn't.

Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:24 pm
So, isn't anyone else worried about Phoenix?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:29 pm
Yes and I hope her blood pressure has normalized. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:33 pm
<grin> ok, then.

I am firmly in the civil rights camp on this issue (Do I need to explain further? Pro-gay-marriage).

Since I can't engage with certain members without my own blood doing odd things inside my body, I'll leave now.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:34 am
littlek wrote:
So, isn't anyone else worried about Phoenix?

Thanks for thinking about me, littlek. I have calmed down, but you should get a look at my crepe myrtle. I cut the hell out of it.

Now I know why I am not an artist! Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:41 am
oops!
0 Replies

epenthesis

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:57 am
I concur, cutting down the crepe myrtle makes for a risible blood pressure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:21 am
I think Phoenix was only pruning her myrtle, something we all do when we get older. Next blooming season, the tree will be thicker with more blossoms to screw up your allergies. I get rid of frustration and anger by pruning back the bougainvillea which can be dangerous (since it's trained into a tree on the wall of the garage as barbed wire for would-be burglars).
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 02:23 am
woiyo wrote:
Setanta wrote:
So then, as usual, you are just making sh*t up to support a brain-dead, reactionary agenda when you write: I accepted the rules this society has developed over it's 200+ years of existance, all of which have been determined by the people and their elected officials--because until the Defense of Marriage Act was passed during the Clinton administration, no one had an ax to grind on this subject.

What's the matter, Woiyo, did the Reverend Lovejoy play with your wee-wee when you were just a lad? Is that why you hate homosexuals?

Who is Rev Lovejoy? Where does it say I hate homosexuals?

You don't have to say it. Very few homophobes admit their affliction or that they are latent homosexuals.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 06:02 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Setanta wrote:
So then, as usual, you are just making sh*t up to support a brain-dead, reactionary agenda when you write: I accepted the rules this society has developed over it's 200+ years of existance, all of which have been determined by the people and their elected officials--because until the Defense of Marriage Act was passed during the Clinton administration, no one had an ax to grind on this subject.

What's the matter, Woiyo, did the Reverend Lovejoy play with your wee-wee when you were just a lad? Is that why you hate homosexuals?

Who is Rev Lovejoy? Where does it say I hate homosexuals?

You don't have to say it. Very few homophobes admit their affliction or that they are latent homosexuals.

That whole "latent homosexual" thing makes me laugh. What better way to think you are normal then to think everyone around you wants to be just like you. It's amazing how the human brain can can really mess one up.
0 Replies