Marriage Amendment, My Ass!

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

The "anything goes" attitude of you and Cycle goes against many principles created by the founding fathers of this great society that we helped build.

You are 100% incorrect about this. Our Constitution was specifically designed and crafted to preserve individual freedoms from Governmental control.

Quote:
So if "anything goes" is the excepted norn, then Polygamy should be accepted, etc...

Sure. I don't have a problem with polygamy at all.

Cycloptichorn

Then you should have a ball with incest. How about marrying your Dog for medical benefits (for the Doggie that is).

Anything goes...right?

You are Appealing to Extremes, which is a logical fallacy.

My original comment:

Quote:

Who should decide the social makeup of our society?

Each individual has the right to do so for themselves, within the boundaries of negatively affecting others.

First, Incest amongst consenting adults is not illegal.

If you are talking about Incest amongst adults and children, this does not fall within the boundaries of 'not negatively affecting others.'

Marrying a dog is the same way; the dog is not an adult human, with rights and responsibilities and the ability to judge situations for itself. It can easily be argued that the dog would be taken advantage of in such a situation, and therefore this does not meet the 'not negatively affecting others' standard either.

Though, you are making a ridiculous argument anyways, so I don't know why I'm bothering to correct your poor logic.

Cycloptichorn

OK, the Dog was a reach.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:03 pm
Well, if it's involving gays, the social makeup controversy could be over Max Factor or Estee Lauder.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:03 pm
You bolded my comment:

Quote:

But didn't comment on the comment. Do you disagree with this notion?

Let me add that while I personally don't agree with the practice, I don't see why it should be illegal, as it doesn't affect my life one way or the other.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:05 pm
Gays should have just as much rights as the rest of us and I personally think anyone who has a problem with that, has a serious problem, which might require some time in those special rubber rooms!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:06 pm
Oh, I forgot, you're all trying to be serious here. The only serious issue here is consenting adults, unless one wants to take another small step towards a George Orwell world.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You bolded my comment:

Quote:

Let me add that while I personally don't agree with the practice, I don't see why it should be illegal, as it doesn't affect my life one way or the other.

Cycloptichorn

In some societies, it is NOT illegal. In some it is.

In some societies, polygamy is legal, and in some, it is not.

What makes those societies different?

In the USA, the PEOPLE and their elected officials create rules that shape the norms.

Yet, you feel differently, specific to marriage, that anything goes and the people should not decide what the norm is.

I disagree. I would like to see this on a ballot and let the voters decide if homosexuals relationships can fall into the "marriage" catagory.

Even if the voters decide no, that does not mean IMO, they should be discriminated against relative to property ownership, etc...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You bolded my comment:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

In some societies, it is NOT illegal. In some it is.

In some societies, polygamy is legal, and in some, it is not.

What makes those societies different?

In the USA, the PEOPLE and their elected officials create rules that shape the norms.

Yet, you feel differently, specific to marriage, that anything goes and the people should not decide what the norm is.

I disagree. I would like to see this on a ballot and let the voters decide if homosexuals relationships can fall into the "marriage" catagory.

Even if the voters decide no, that does not mean IMO, they should be discriminated against relative to property ownership, etc...

It's not an issue of people's opinions, but a Constitutional issue of Equal Rights. You are employing the exact same arguments that those who didn't want to give women the right to vote, or give Blacks the right to vote, used.

That's why you see courts legalizing it around the country; when push comes to shove, there's no basis for denying other then the fact that two guys getting married either scares or offends you in some way. If you can't show substantial harm that is done from something, it shouldn't be illegal - whether or not the morals of the society wish that or not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you don't hate homosexuals, why would care if they got married?

Anything goes girlfriend.

How about you answer my questions for a change! Are you capable?

Who is Dr. Lovejoy?

Where did I say I hate homosexuals?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:06 pm
Re: Marriage Amendment, My Ass!
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Just how do we stop these jokers from attempting to deprive every committed couple the right to be legally joined?]

Aren't there local/regional groups that are attempting to counter these folks? Join. Make noise. Sign petitions that express your view.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:07 pm
woiyo wrote:
However, I am Native American and I accepted the rules this society has developed over it's 200+ years of existance, all of which have been determined by the people and their elected officials.

That is truly a shame. I mean that most sincerely.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:
woiyo wrote:
However, I am Native American and I accepted the rules this society has developed over it's 200+ years of existance, all of which have been determined by the people and their elected officials.

That is truly a shame. I mean that most sincerely.

Explain. What is a shame?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:14 pm
Woiyo, I think it's a shame that you've not chosen to follow native traditions. They had/have much in their societies that I respect. Their attitude toward the two-spirited has always impressed me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
woiyo wrote:
Who is Dr. Lovejoy?

I've never heard of Dr. Lovejoy.

Quote:

It's an inference. If you don't hate homosexuals, why do you care if they get married?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:08 am
ehBeth wrote:
Woiyo, I think it's a shame that you've not chosen to follow native traditions. They had/have much in their societies that I respect. Their attitude toward the two-spirited has always impressed me.

Who said I do not follow my "Native traditions"?

I said I accepted the rules of THIS society and my family has assimilated into it. As a Native American, whose mother grew up on a reservation, I can not be considered an immigrant, but my parents wanted their children to be Americans.

This is one reason I resent how the Govt is handeling this illegal immigration issue. These people only want to be IN AMERICA, take from it, abuse the priviliages and give nothing back.

As Americans, we should expect those who want to come to America, to want to BE AMERICANS, retain their heritage, but assimilate into the American culture.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 06:09 am
Setanta wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Who is Dr. Lovejoy?

I've never heard of Dr. Lovejoy.

Quote:

It's an inference. If you don't hate homosexuals, why do you care if they get married?

Well you assumed wrong again, nitwit! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 07:04 am
Then why are you so vehemently opposed to homosexual marriage, pea-brain?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 07:36 am
And why does being against gay marriage lead to a conclusion that a person hates homosexuals?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 07:41 am
Actually, we hadn't progressed through the entire catalogue of possible explanations. If someone doesn't hate homosexuals, but is opposed to homosexual marriages, then he or she might be opposed because he or she fears homosexuals. Or, he or she might be opposed because he or she considers homosexuality perverse and unnatural. I'm attempting (probably futilely), to arrive at a conclusion about why the boy opposes homosexual marriage. Of course, it could also arise from a dedication to an idiotic scripture based on the bigotry of nomadic herders thousands of years ago--you never know.

My experience of Woiyo is that he either does not comprehend English well, or willfully distorts the meanings of what people write. So i have found it best to proceed one step at a time, asking one question at a time.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 07:48 am
Ah well, then, by all means carry on. Because of the way you phrased things, I got the impression you were assigning a cause and effect link between gay marriage opponents and hatred of homosexuals.

(the clown now bows out gracefully)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
That would be only one of several possible cause/effect relationships.
0 Replies