Can't Eat; Won't/Don't Eat

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:59 pm
MP, I think you're right to an extent. Some associations make people avoid certain foods. (Chai with the association between lobsters and cockroaches--can't get that out of my head.)

Hey, cyphercat. Is that you? Very Happy Too bad about the broccoli. I didn't like broccoli when I was a kid. Now I like it a lot.

ragman, Trying to remember what cilantro smells like. It's not coming to me. Speaking of soap, walnuts taste like soap to me. How do I know what soap tastes like? I'm sure I must have given it a try when I was a kid. Didn't want lettuce, but soap was worth checking out.

osso, I'm with you. A gassy indigestion or even a mild case of the runs won't deter me if I really like something. Problem is, if I keep eating something that does this to me, the problems escalate. Sigh. I also grew up with lots of boiled veggies. Strangely, they were more palatable to me than raw ones. And I also drink a lot of milk. I used to have a glass or two every night. I've now switched to egg creams. Mmmmm. Less milk.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:17 pm
I was also expected to eat everything as a child and I still feel very rebellious if I don't eat all that is on my plate.

But I do like almost everything, too... Even tripe... Or liver... I guess I'm also a garbage disposal!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:01 pm
Well, I figured out decades later that I like liver not-well-done-unto-shoe-leather. It can be slightly pink inside. (Sorry to put anyone off...). Even near tender. That plus well sauteed onions..., um, and some mashed potatoes, and a crisp salad, I could deal with it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
Jalepanos, chipotle...any hot peppers.

can't see how slices of it enhance the food. It's ok if it's diced really really small and only a little bit in a dish for flavor.

Otherwise, you can't taste anything, your mouth is on fire.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:37 pm
osso, Yup. Slightly pinkish liver, sweet sauted onions, smashed potatoes. My mother made liver that you could eat or wear on your feet. Feh.

chai, I'm with you. Flames shooting out of your mouth is definitely a deterrant to culinary enjoyment--except for dragons maybe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:11 pm
As Diane and Dys and Ann and I were talking, the day I made all the pizzas, hotness matters.

I am very used to using hot italian sausage on pizza, but never before had I had such HOT ital sausage as that from Keller's - too overwhelming, though they are primo meat purveyors. This from a person who has used hot ital sausage in foods for, oh, 30 years. So, I mixed them, one to one, with sweet italian sausage. Pardon me, for me for sausage talk, Roberta.

So we had the philosophic discussion with all agreeing that overwhelming is too much. Dys was saying, yes, yes, that's true, but my idea of overwhelming is different than yours.

Reminds me of my friend from eritrea who could eat a sandwich of wonderbread and habaneros when he first came to the US. That passed...

Me, I like piquance, plus other flavoring. But my piquance may be hotter than the person's sitting next to me.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:11 pm
Sometimes it's the color and texture of the food that turns people off. My teenage daughter has never been able to eat yogurt. She can't even watch someone else eat yogurt! It literally makes her gag to even see the stuff.
The same with chewing gum. She can't even watch me put a stick of gum in my mouth; she has to look away! lol!

I've eaten all kinds of seafood all my life, but about eight years ago I had a shrimp salad sandwich for lunch and afterward my tongue swelled up to where I couldn't talk! I ended up in the ER and was told that apparently I'd developed an allergy to shellfish. I was stunned. I had to give up shrimp and lobster - two of my favorite foods - because they could kill me!

Thank goodness it wasn't chocolate!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:33 pm
Aren't food preferences related to what we were fed as children - to some degree, at least? I mean aside from intolerances and allergies.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:40 pm
Somewhat, but I can remember my mother making PB&J for everyone but me (hold the J, please) and pulling my potato salad out before adding the onions, etc.

Maybe if she had been more forceful in giving me what everyone else ate then I wouldn't have been so picky. Actually, I was strong-willed enough that I probably would have gone hungry rather than eat things that weren't on my approved list.

I tend to do the same with my kids. A classic example is boiled potatoes. I cook the potatoes, drain, and add butter. Then I take out K's portion. I add lemon juice and take out M's portion. Then I add chopped rosemary or tarragon for Mr B and me.

Yes - we're all spoiled!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:41 pm
Some of mine may be, but most are in opposition to or at least venturing far from my childhood foods.

But - I ventured into different foods as I aged and I'm decades older than some here, and lived in a city of vast food resources. Maybe I do see most sticking with what they know, now that I don't live in venture ville anymore.

I seem to relate to people in Toronto and NYC with the plethora of food experiences...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:45 pm
True, there were things that we wouldn't touch as kids - all different things, too. We had to eat them anyway. But, now, we all have various likes and dislikes and my mother can't control dinner anymore. During family holidays the table is a riot of foods because I won't eat green beans, my sister won't eat cooked spinach, my father is on a heart healthy diet, my brother loves cream and cheese........... etc. We were asked to start a list for my mother of the things we loved and hated. She wants a list of things we'll accept as well. Has anyone tried to do this? It's not easy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:48 pm
Mostly, people think they are adventurous, when they are just wiggling their little toe. This could be said about me as well, of course, but I've been nosing around food for many decades. Sometimes I just have to blink at various comments.

Vincent, now there is a guy I miss. (Abuzz).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:00 pm
I'd never profess to being an adventurous eater!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:01 pm
I cannot understand not being....

sigh.

Where is ehBeth when I need her?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:02 pm
Heh!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:32 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Where is ehBeth when I need her?

I was in Kensington Market having Chilean Cheese Empanadas with the most marvellous cilantro-ey fresh salsa. <sigh>

wcities - best street food winner

I'm trying the humitas the next time I go

Quote:
corn mixed with onion and basil, rolled in cornmeal and placed in a cornhusk shell

Love the beef empanadas ...

Quote:

he!!, I love everything there

I love everything in the market

Martiniboys review ...

this was fantastic tonight

Quote:
The Chilean salad, made with lettuce, avocado, onion and broccoli, topped with a cilantro and olive oil dressing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:47 pm
Of course that all sounds great, and I will try to remember that salad with the avocado and broccoli, lettuce and cilantro... (repeating to self).

About the time I left LA, there was a new empanada stand, freeway adjacent..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 08:01 pm
The broccoli was in little tiny slivered bits - everything perfectly dressed in the cilantro/oo - light and so tasty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:51 pm
Well, whatever cuisine, I keep my tastebuds atwitter for dishes that make a great blend but also have ingredients spark aside from the blend.

This sounds easy enough, but isn't, really. Truly delicious tosses are few and far between. And this one sounds good to me.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:08 pm
I have enjoyed foods from many cuisines & regions. Like most of us I've seen good and bad from each, but generally have found things to relish everywhere from Central & South America, the Mediterranean region, Norther Europe, Japan and South Asia. I have only a little experience with Indian cuisine but so far haven't found much I like.

The only food I consistently avoid is beef or calves liver. I've tried many times and have had it with marvelous sauces & other distractions, but each time one finally gets to the taste of LIVER (ugh!).

Finally, I can do without the super hot peppers one can find in several cuisines. I find they put all the taste receptors in full alarm and destroy one's ability to enjoy anything else.

Apart from that, food, wine, beer, whiskey and even tequilla are all among life's real pleasures.
0 Replies