Can't Eat; Won't/Don't Eat

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:08 am
Those potatoes look GOOD.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:13 am
"I can't eat that...it gives me gas." Shocked

It never occurred to me to avoid certain foods because they gave me gas. I was way into adulthood before learning that many people do.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:31 am
eoe wrote:
"I can't eat that...it gives me gas." Shocked

It never occurred to me to avoid certain foods because they gave me gas. I was way into adulthood before learning that many people do.

Yes, that's my point ..about food allergies...sometimes it's a basic as that which gives you gas and makes it rumble a lot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I could live on goose/duck and sausages Cool

Goose-duck and sausages.... Is that some kind of weird German dish?

Sign me up for a platter, though; sounds good.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
Won't eat?

Grits.

With sugar or with salt. Ech.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:16 am
Yankee. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:18 am
Back on tapioca, I might eat tapioca pudding as an adult, indeed read about some new fangled tapioca cookery a few months ago, but I never run across it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 11:46 am
Can't drink milk...lactose.
can't eat magos...allergic...but I love them.

Won't eat lobster or crab...they are big cockroaches...repulsive.

Don't like
hazelnuts
ham
pears
brazil nuts
pancakes, waffles, crepes
caramel
maple
zuchinni
anise and licorice....bleech...bleech...bleech. I call it anus.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 11:59 am
eoe wrote:
Yankee. Rolling Eyes

Not hardly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:53 pm
Roberta wrote:
Live monkey brain???? Are you telling me that the monkey is alive and kicking while somebody is eating its brains?

exactly

Confused

I learned to skip that page in the cookbook.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:38 pm
dadpad, So you're a human garbage disposal. Handy to have around.

tico, Basil?! Never heard of this. Interesting. You mention tapioca. It occurred to me that I've never had it. Guess I'm not missing much. Thanks for the cumin suggestion. You might be onto something.

msolga, No brains or tripe. I'll make a note. Your comment about having to eat everything you were served reminded me of the battle of the titans--me (picky eater extraordinaire) and my grandmother (you'll eat what I give you). It was summer. My cousin and I were staying at his parents' summer house with my grandparents. I didn't like some fresh vegetables (now I eat them, no problem). My grandmother served a giant plate of fresh veggies. My cousin, the human vacuum cleaner (why bother chewing, just inhale the food) was done and out in a few minutes. I couldn't get through that plate of greenery. It was a combination of couldn't and wouldn't. Grandma told me I'd sit there until I finished. After the first hour, I thought I might spend the rest of my life in front of that plate. My cousin would come in, check on my progress (none) and run out to report to the kids. Two hours. Stalemate. Three hours. Did I nod off? About midway through the fourth hour, my grandfather returned from one of his mountain hikes. Saw and assessed the situation. Said to my grandmother, Gunug (enough). I went out to play. Thanks, grandpa.

phoenix, Halvah I can relate to. Like black olives though. I recently acquired a taste for the greenies. Bummer about the chocolate.

eoe, glad to find another beet-averse person. As for liver, I used to hate it. Then I tried cooking it myself (my mother wasn't one of the better cooks). It wasn't half bad. And I always loved chopped liver.

Ragman, Yes, sometimes it's a food allergy. And sometimes I just don't like something. Interesting about how subtle food allergies can be. If I like something, I'm inclined to eat it even if it doesn't agree with me, unless things get out of hand.

Joe, Glad you came over to the other side on carrots. Love them. One of the few things my grandmother put on that plate that I ate. Jello?? Go figure.

Drewdad, Had my first encounter with grits on a business trip to Tennessee. Not great. Not bad. But not with everything!!!

chai, No milk or mangos. Love lobster and crab. Never thought about them resembling cockroaches. I must erase that image from my brain somehow. Maybe hypnosis?

beth, Shocked Crying or Very sad Ov vey.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:41 pm
Roberta wrote:
dadpad, So you're a human garbage disposal. Handy to have around.

tico, Basil?! Never heard of this.

Basil? You've never heard of this spice?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
Ragman, No, I've heard of and love basil. Cook with it all the time. Never heard of it not agreeing with someone. I'm sure that there are all kinds of things that people can't eat that I never heard of.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:44 pm
It's just my opinion, but I think some people get taught to be picky eaters.
And some choose to be picky eaters because...I don't know! lots of possible reasons to do it.
And some freak themselves out with associations (chicken looks like my legs so can't eat it, sponge cake feels like cotton in my mouth when I was a kid and taking pills out with bits of cotton, as examples).
And some have constitutions where they can't tolerate as many foods as some other folks.

Me, I don't like puddings with any bread or raisins or tapioca or anything clumpy in it. The texture doesn't appeal to me at all.

I can't drink many hard liquors without getting sick, puking, acid, and other undesirable toilet trips.

Organ meats turn me off. Blood in foods that is still red only appeals to me when my hormones are at a certain peak.

Most else is a go.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
I've only recently come to understand that I really CAN'T eat broccoli. Crying or Very sad I looove broccoli! But even just one or two florets makes me throw up. *schniff*

That's the only "can't" I'm aware of-- there are lots of "won'ts"! Smile
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
cilantro smells like soap to me
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
It's funny, cilantro smells like soap to me as well-- but I still love it! Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:59 pm
I'll eat it mixed within salsa..but if I were to smell the cilantro container...it's a big turn-off

hey, cyyphercat: you're a cutie...(licking my eyebrows)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:37 pm
Cyphercat fan here, and the picture's fantastic. Such devilment and wisdom on that face....

Back to food. A little gassy indigestion won't deter me if I love something.
With the chinese food laden in grease-ola, I don't like grease-ola anyway.
Most memorable dish of the sort was called "ants on a tree".....

On being picky, I was a child of the forties. My mother boiled things to oooogly pulp. I was a famous-to-myself table sitter, re the weird carrots (which I actually like now, roasted, in a stew, or raw, or as soup or cake) and the ever present glass of whole, gag, milk. Can of tuna, split between us, carrots, milk. No wonder I'm such a gangbusters foodie now.

I drink a lot of milk now, whether or not it is better late than ever, and that's arguably way wrong, but I still never drink whole white milk in a glass. Turns out it was the fattiness that gagged me without a spoon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:52 pm
Can't -- probably nothing, but it's a convenient excuse sometimes.

Won't -- parsnips, cooked fruit (doesn't matter what kind of fruit or what type of heat), most organs, yellow mustard.

Don't -- hmmm, I eat just about everything else.
0 Replies