Another question....

Bohne

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:45 am
I have not read your previous thread, yet, but I have to say I would expect my husband to be OK with all these things...

sounds all very innocent to me!
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:11 am
irishhusband, i'm glad things have worked out...it's great that you have identified your weaknesse/insecurities and you're trying to work on them...

I don't mean to be discouraging but i'm still not comfortable with so much explanation from her to you for these things.

irishhusband wrote:

that's something she thought about for about half an hour, the length of time her friend was sitting up on the same guy's shoulders before her:

She thought for half an hour abt it?...sounds strange to me.

irishhusband wrote:

she admitted that she could have been more proactive in keeping me informed and maybe even asking my advice.

Why should she always ask you for advice? I dunno irishhusband, taking advice from your spouse must come naturally...it shouldn't be like a "deal" or something...

irishhusband wrote:

She says when I pick them up at the airport next week I should ask her friend how much she talked about me - it became a running joke among the group it seems.

You're hanging on to her every word that makes you feel that "you are the most important person" in her life....aren't you? Seems that way to me.
I still feel you are asking too many questions that you should not be asking (like how many times she said NO to something) and she ends up giving explanations for everything...
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:24 am
Good for you irish; I'm glad you had "the talk" with her, and you feel better.

I'm just curious as to how she would feel if the situation was reversed; if you were at a really great concert with a strange girl on your shoulders, or traveling other countries with a friend that gets too wasted.

However, regardless of her explanations and your proclaimations of trust, I still think it bothers you, and the next time she decides to go off on a singles vacation with her friend your stomach will do an uncomfortable flip-flop.

jmho
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:09 am
That all sounds good, irishhusband!

Great that you can talk about it. It sounds like you kept it more about you and your insecurities than about accusations, which was a good way to handle it.

How long until they get home?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:44 am
(Oh, and very good posts from sakhi.)
0 Replies

irishhusband

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:25 am
Yes I appreciate every comment - you guys have helped me more in the only major problems I've ever encountered in my marriage than anyone else, and, as you can see, they're fairly minor problems compared to much of what we see on here. So thank you all.

I don't think some of the recent concerns here are founded - I know my wife well enough to be absolutely certain of her honesty and up-frontness on this. I agree with happycat that if the situation were reversed she wouldn't be happy, and that's something that'll come up in conversations over the next few weeks I'm sure. I also think you're right that my stomach will do the backflip when she decides to go again, but I think attempting to keep her home would be a much much worse decision. Out of interest, she says (perhaps prematurely) that she's totally done! She says she can't ever see herself wanting to do this again - maybe for a weekend but not a major trip like this. She knows she would have regretting not doing this trip given the chance, but she also loves married life and says she can't ever see herself wanting to do it again - it's a one time thing for her I think.

Sakhi- When I said half an hour I meant that that's how long her friend was on the guy's shoulders before her, so it means it wasn't like she had only a split second to decide whether to turn him down or accept his offer, she had already decided that it would be okay by the time she was asked. I think you're right that I hang on every word that makes me feel important to her; those are my own demons that I have to deal with stemming from my own insecurity - she knows that and is very caring about it.

I feel that everytime we go through this kind of thing, the boundaries are set by what people's own subculture says about it. A traditional Christian household isn't going to even accept going to bars in many cases, whereas a more crazy postmodern kind of arrangement is going to yield a different standard, and I feel that we're somewhere in between - our lives are fairly non-partying compared with a lot of people and maybe that's why I find this particular situation so threatening at times. Incidentally, Rob doesn't feel as happy about all this as he tries to appear; he's just deathly scared of losing his wife to one of her vast malcontented swings and thinks if he puts up with her doing whatever she likes, married or not, he'll stand a better chance of keeping her. What an awful feeling to have about your own wife. I'm so glad to have mine.

I'll share an excerpt of her email to me this morning:

Quote:
I am very satisfied with this trip and everything we were able to do. It is an experience I will never forget and I am forever grateful to you for giving me this chance. I can't tell you how much this has meant to me. I think I will return a bit of a new woman. Returning home is very needed now and I am very excited to see you. I think of you constantly and can't wait to tell you everything.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:52 pm
irish - I wish the best for both of you. Sorry if I was sounding like the devil's advocate. Keep the communication going because that's the basis of a good marriage. Smile
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 01:51 am
happycat wrote:
irish - I wish the best for both of you. Sorry if I was sounding like the devil's advocate. Keep the communication going because that's the basis of a good marriage. Smile

Same here.

(Thanks, Soz.)
0 Replies