Can you pass the US citizenship test?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:51 am
Well, if the question had been about John Adams or so ... :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:53 am
John Adams never said anything interesting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Except for the 15th, I have no idea what those other Amendments are about.

Shame, shame . . . the 19th Amendment gave women the vote, and the 24th Amendment outlaws the poll tax.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:56 am
I aced the test...100%

It wasnt all that difficult.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:23 am
Re: Can you pass the US citizenship test?
boomerang wrote:
So take the test and see how you do!

20 for 20.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:24 am
Re: Can you pass the US citizenship test?
Thomas wrote:
20 for 20.

As you should, Thomas. I mean, the rest of us, we're just funnin' around....
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:58 am
Why should Thomas have gotten all of them right? If you don't mind me asking, Thomas are you a retired judge? I realize that is a personal question so if you don't answer I won't be offended.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:10 am
TTH wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, Thomas are you a retired judge?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thomas is a nice young man (well, in his thirties).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
TTH wrote:
Thomas are you a retired judge?

No, but perhaps a future one.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:15 am
Nice or not, I am not a judge, and not retired.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:18 am
Thomas wrote:

Definitely not!

Hope everything goes well for you my friend

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:19 am
JPB wrote:
No, but perhaps a future one.

Interesting thought. I always wanted to press unwarranted fraud charges against politicians I don't like. It's a pity the citizenship test doesn't ask about these practical civics matters.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hope everything goes well for you my friend

Pretty good -- thanks for asking! Smile You're doing fine too, I hope?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
Thomas wrote:
Thanks
I was just curious why you were expected to get 100% correct. No need to explain further.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:24 am
TTH wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Thanks
I was just curious why you were expected to get 100% correct. No need to explain further.

Sure, no problem.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:21 pm
Thomas wrote:
TTH wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Thanks

Sure, no problem.

If I were to guess, I'd say he has, or is in the process of, emigrating to the United States. If true, let me be the first (or second or thousandth) to welcome you.

If it were up to me, I'd include three more questions on the "test" - (courtesy of Victor Davis Hanson):

1. Does any nation have a constitution comparable to ours?

2. Does merit -- or religion, tribe or class -- mostly gauge success or failure in America?

3. What nation is as free, stable and transparent as the U.S.?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
HokieBird wrote:
If it were up to me, I'd include three more questions on the "test" - (courtesy of Victor Davis Hanson):

Hhmm.. but those questions bring all kinds of methodological problems..

I mean, for example:

1. Does any nation have a constitution comparable to ours?

Well, every constitution is different, so that would be a "no". But a lot of countries have constitutions that guarantee the basic stuff: freedom of religion, freedom of speech, separation of powers, etc... so it could also be a "yes". You'd first have to define "comparable", etc..

2. Does merit -- or religion, tribe or class -- mostly gauge success or failure in America?

That would be a bit of a problem too, since recent research shows that social mobility in the US now is lower than it was a generation ago - and that it is (in two separate pieces of research I've seen quoted recently), respectively almost as low as it is in Europe, or in fact (to add insult to injury) even lower than in Europe.

So the idea that merit rather than class determines an individual's success or failure is more ideology than fact.

Of course, you may just be wanting to test the new citizen's ideological fealty. In that case, this question would work. As in: only those who subscribe to the myths that Americans hold dear, are allowed to become Americans too.

3. What nation is as free, stable and transparent as the U.S.?

That would necessitate a drop down menu of sorts, where people could select a number of states ... you know, Sweden, Canada, Australia, etc..

Really, somehow I get the feeling you havent really thought this through.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:40 pm
The first two are simple yes or no questions, with yours answers being 1) yes and 2) no.

The third requires more and your answer would be Canada, Sweden, Australia, etc.

Simple.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:46 pm
HokieBird wrote:
The first two are simple yes or no questions, with yours answers being 1) yes and 2) no.

The third requires more and your answer would be Canada, Sweden, Australia, etc.

Simple.

So, what are the correct answers to questions 1 and 2?

And could you give us a full answer to your third question? I mean, how are we supposed to know whether or not you would pass your own test?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:53 pm
It is really interesting to see how well the non-Americans did on the test. I can guarantee you I would not do nearly so well on a test about your country, whatever your country might be.

Reading through this, I'm reminded of a scene from the show The Simpson's where Apu, the quickie-mart clerk, takes the citizenship test:

Quote:

Proctor: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?

Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious
schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists,there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--

Proctor: Wait, wait... just say slavery.

Apu: Slavery it is, sir.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:57 pm
boomerang wrote:
It is really interesting to see how well the non-Americans did on the test. I can guarantee you I would not do nearly so well on a test about your country, whatever your country might be.

If yiu had studied Constitutional Law at the law faculty as well at the history department the history of those ... :wink:
0 Replies