Can you pass the US citizenship test?

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
I came across this today and thought it might be fun to see how A2Kers stack up against the general population.

In hopes of keeping everybody honest (not looking up the answers) and not being embarrassed (by not scoring high) I set it up as a poll.

So take the test and see how you do!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19552808/

FYI: I missed two.

Happy Independence Day!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,315 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
I missed two as well; the one about which form you use for immigration, and the 'who selects supreme court justices' question; that one even has an explanation after it, so I think I was right on that as well.

Fun

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:48 pm
I missed that Supreme Court one too. Maybe we should get partial credit.

I also missed the one, and this is embarrassing, about when the Constitution was written.

Thanks for playing!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:49 pm
I only missed the immigration form one (which is one that everyone taking the test for real probably considers a softball question).

I think the Pilgrims question is wrong (but I correctly guessed the answer they wanted).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:51 pm
I got lucky in guessing that the "application for naturalization" was the form to apply for naturalization.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:57 pm
I missed that one too (the form).

Also stumbled on the Supreme Court one, for the same reason. (Has to go through the Senate before they become a justice, so in that sense the Senate makes the selection...)

I guessed on the amendment NOT having to do with voting and guessed wrong.

Got the rest (including some guesses).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:01 pm
Yeah the who appoints Supreme's is a little misleading. I missed that one, too.

And... I doubt many natural born citizens know which form to use to become a citizen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:06 pm
Missed the Supreme Court justices one. Oh well.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:10 pm
I missed one... the Supreme Court one. I guess correctly on the Form.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
I got them all, but only because I read a rant in the paper today over Immigration, and somehow remembered the form number.

Oh, and there isn't any solid evidence that Patrick Henry ever said "give me liberty, or give me death", but I knew what answer they wanted... Wink
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:17 pm
I missed 4. Didn't know the immigration form, misread one about members of congress (thought it was senators), and I clearly don't know my amendments without looking them up.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:53 pm
80%, not bad for a non-citizen.
I missed two about the amendments, the Patrick Henry phrase and the year of the Constitution.
(The immigration form was a cinch: "application", being the very American key word)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:07 pm
Thanks everyone for participating in my experiment. Especially you, fbaezer. I was hoping some non-US-citizens would give it a try.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
Embarrassed
I missed 11
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:20 pm
70%. I'll be over next week. My wife, kids and grandparents and some assorted hangers-on will follow.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:20 pm
Got the Patrick Henry phrase wrong, too. Had to guess on the voting rights amendments, and guessed wrong; and missed another amendments question, too.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
I missed 10. Few just out of stupidity (thinking senate instead of congress), few because i really didn't know. (Patrick who?)
Oh well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:48 pm
Quote:
You answered 85% of questions correctly. Here's your rating:

85-100%: Welcome to the United States! (And, truth be told, you know more about this great land than most Americans.)

Yay! I can become an American!

I was lucky though. And clever rather than knowledgeable, also.

Eg:

Question 1. How many stripes are there on the U.S. flag?

I didnt know whether it was 10 or 13. But lo and behold, question 10 asks, "What do the stripes on the U.S. flag mean?", and I knew that they represented the original states - and what does the answer say? "They represent the 13 original states." OK - so 13 stripes it is! Bonus point.

Question 3. In what year was the Constitution written?

Umm, so I didnt know whether it was 1776 or 1787. But hey, then Question 7 asks, "When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?", and offers the same years. Allright, I assume they declared Independence first and only drew up a Constitution after that, so the Constitution must then be 1787. Bonus point 2.

6. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called?

I so wanted to choose, "The first 10 amendments." I so did. Not just cause its funny. But then question 20 asked, "Which of these contains three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights?" - Ah. So it is the Bill of Rights. Freebie point 3.

9. What are the 13 original states?

OK, this one I knew anyway. But still, it helps that one of the answer options includes New Zealand (heh), and another lists.. 14 states (tricky tricky!)

19. What INS form is used to apply to become a naturalized citizen?

I totally guessed this one..

So in short - you dont really have to be very knowledgeable to pass - you just need to be good in picking up hints Razz

-------

Ones I got wrong: 8 ("Which of the following amendments to the Constitution does NOT address or guarantee voting rights?"), 12 ("How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution?"), and 16 ("Give me liberty or give me death")
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 08:22 pm
"You answered 100% of questions correctly"

I got all of them right. It almost sounds like bragging. If it were not multiple choice I would not have been
correct on all. The original states I could not tell anyone off the top of my head the 13 (I would have to guess).
I could not tell you who is chief justice of the supreme court.

I could think of more important questions that should be on a test for citizenship.

I am not a english major but shouldn't the above quote read - You answered 100% of the questions correctly?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:16 pm
TTH wrote:
"You answered 100% of questions correctly"

I got all of them right. It almost sounds like bragging. If it were not multiple choice I would not have been
correct on all. The original states I could not tell anyone off the top of my head the 13 (I would have to guess).
I could not tell you who is chief justice of the supreme court.

I could think of more important questions that should be on a test for citizenship.

I am not a english major but shouldn't the above quote read - You answered 100% of the questions correctly?

The test was written by a US citizen. Only immigrants are required to speak English properly. :wink:
0 Replies