MEDICAL TERRORISTS ??

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 04:28 pm
From CBS News' Katie Couric:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Our top story tonight is the U.K. terror plot,
which is being investigated on both sides of the Atlantic .
We have a trio of correspondents working on the story from London ,
Glasgow and here in the United States .

Mark Phillips will have the very latest on the investigation
into the London and Glasgow attacks as authorities have raised their
threat alert to its highest level - "critical." The British government has
linked the attempted car bombings to al Qaeda, and several suspects, including three doctors,
have been arrested in connection with the plots. ..

Is the medical profession DISPROPORTIONATELY well represented among terrorists ?

Y ?

or Y not ?

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,655 • Replies: 24
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:57 pm
I don't know, but I think the fact that they made such an issue of specifically stating that there were three doctors included this time, would indicate that this is something out of the ordinary, or an anomaly worth mentioning.

It would seem fairly easy to discern whether doctors were disproportionately represented among at least the KNOWN terrorists and terrorist suspects that have been targeted by categorizing them by profession. But I've never read or heard anything that points to the fact that there seem to be more doctors among terrorists.

Have you? Have you ever read about any other of these people who have had medical degrees?

In fact, what profession do you think would be more likely to produce terrorists? Law- maybe? Just kidding- but that's an interesting question- what do or are these people doing with their lives in addition to planning and carrying out terrorist plots and wreaking havoc?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:15 am
This has made me so sad.....

I have worked with doctors for years.

I know they can be spectacular arseholes; mad, bad and dangerous to know.

As stupid, bigoted, cruel and demented as any human.

I did not think I had an illusion left.

But...DOCTORS as terrorists?

I am so sad.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:48 am
dlowan wrote:
Quote:
I have worked with doctors for years.

I know they can be spectacular arseholes; mad, bad and dangerous to know.

As stupid, bigoted, cruel and demented as any human.

I did not think I had an illusion left.

I hate to quibble, but these descriptors (color added) hardly indicate any illusions- at least not positive ones. These would indicate to me that you'd see them as stereotypically evil as much of the general public seems to at this point in time- and whether that view is deserved or not is open to question or debate (at least in my mind- but my mind is rarely ever closed).

But if you think about it, the personality characteristics that it takes to become a doctor- specifically the single minded dedication and perception of purpose to an almost obsessional degree- would lend themselves pretty easily to terrorism. Most people would not make the sacrifice it entails to become a doctor- there's too much normalcy they'd have to be willing to give up. The same is true for terrorists.

What I do find sad is that people expect doctors to somehow be better humans and exempt from the negativity "normal" people are, while at the same time they are villianized and demonized by "normal" people. That doesn't make sense to me. Doctors are "normal" people too- with all the attendant inconsistencies.

This whole terrorism deal has nothing to do with profession. It has everything to do with an innate core belief and a willingness to sacrifice everything to make a point- however misguided that point and the methodlogy with which it's made, may be.

But I don't find this any sadder than teachers or counselors or cops as predators. And I daresay the instances in which that happens are far more numerous to the point in fact that they have become so run of the mill that they are almost not even worthy of comment anymore.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:29 am
There's been one arrested in Brisbane today (a muslim doctor). From all reports the devices discovered and used in Britain in recent days were rather amateurish. You'd think with their innate ability to absorb technical knowledge, terrorist doctors would do a better job.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:35 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:
I don't know, but I think the fact that they made such an issue of specifically stating that there were three doctors included this time, would indicate that this is something out of the ordinary, or an anomaly worth mentioning.

It would seem fairly easy to discern whether doctors were disproportionately represented among at least the KNOWN terrorists and terrorist suspects that have been targeted by categorizing them by profession. But I've never read or heard anything that points to the fact that there seem to be more doctors among terrorists.

Have you? Have you ever read about any other of these people who have had medical degrees?

I understand that Ladin 's 2nd in command is an M.D.

Quote:
In fact, what profession do you think would be more likely to produce terrorists? Law- maybe? Just kidding- but that's an interesting question- what do or are these people doing with their lives in addition to planning and carrying out terrorist plots and wreaking havoc?

It seems to me that when Atta
and the others drove their stolen planes into the WTC
thay were nuts; that is not a rational act.

Does that assert a negative statement
of the relationship between inteligence and sound mental health ?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:37 am
*This post was in answer to Wilso's:

Maybe their feelings were divided between their vow to do no harm (hippocratic oath) and their allegiance to their cause, cell, religion, ideology- whatever you want to call it.

It's a mad, mad world we're living in-when people even expect doctors to be better at blowing people up- just because they're doctors.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:42 am
aidan wrote:

Maybe their feelings were divided between their vow to do no harm (hippocratic oath) and their allegiance to their cause, cell, religion, ideology- whatever you want to call it.

It's a mad, mad world we're living in-when people even expect doctors to be better at blowing people up- just because they're doctors.

It does not appear that their superior intelligence
was sufficient to stop them from mentally deranged acts.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:45 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
aidan wrote:
Quote:

I understand that Ladin 's 2nd in command is an M.D.

Quote:

It seems to me that when Atta
and the others drove their stolen planes into the WTC
thay were nuts; that is not a rational act.

Does that assert a negative statement
of the relationship between inteligence and sound mental health ?

I don't think so, but I haven't actually studied those statistics. My first thought would be that intelligence would correlate with more sound mental health (except for maybe a higher incidence of narcissicism and delusions of grandeur) in that it would confer upon that individual the ability to function more successfully in society and bring into their lives all the benefits that would extend from that enhanced ability to function appropriately.

I really hate making gross generalizations based on things like levels intelligence or choice of profession- because people choose their profession based on all sorts of criteria- one of which is definitely their level of intelligence.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:48 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
aidan wrote:

Maybe because intelligence had very little to do with it- as I've stated.
That would be my first thought.

How many of your fellow mensans would you say would do something like this solely because they were smart David?

I think there are other overriding influences and personality characteristics- obsessiveness for one.

*Are you angry at me- you used to be so much more friendly to me...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:12 am
aidan wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Maybe because intelligence had very little to do with it- as I've stated.
That would be my first thought.

How many of your fellow mensans would you say would do something like this
solely because they were smart David?

None of them whom I have met;
however, one of us was convicted of murder.
( I don 't remember the circumstances. )

I had an intelligent legal secretary, with a degree
in computer sciences, who murdered her grandparents
out of religious considerations.

Quote:
I think there are other overriding influences
and personality characteristics- obsessiveness for one.

Yes.
Well, it depends on with what u r obsessed.

Quote:

Certainly not.
There is no reason for anger.

( At what time of the evening shall we meet ? )
David

P.S.:
It was never my intention to have been unfriendly.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 05:47 am
aidan wrote:

I'm simply observing the fact that physicians are intelligent people. If someone gave the same project to a dock worker and a physician-to build a bomb, I'd expect the one better at absorbing new knowledge could do a better job. Assuming that neither had previous knowledge or training in the field. I'm not making any observation of predisposition to specific acts based on field of work.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 06:58 am
In all seriousness, without a trace of facetiousness, when I think of the most intelligent people I've known, (some, but definitely not all of whom have worked in the medical profession), and I try to picture them creating this type of device and using it to its utmost efficiency, I have to say that I can picture a group of dockworkers doing a better job with it.
(And that's not to say I'm casting aspersions on the intelligence of dockworkers- I'm not-my point is there are many different types of intelligence which will confer many differing levels of competence in many different types of activities)

Never having made a bomb, I'm not sure, but I'd think that the type of expertise it would call for would not be remotely similar to anything anyone that I know in the medical profession does on a daily basis (except for perhaps a pharmacist).

And in terms of absorbing information- isn't it about as simple as taking some of this and adding some of that, supplying a source of detonation and pointing it into a crowd?

Focusing on anything but their overriding destructive obsession gives them too much credit, in my book. I don't really care how smart they think they are or were- they made an idiot's decision.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:07 am
David said:
Quote:
out of religious considerations. [/b]

That sounds kind of curious- murder of your grandparents out of religious considerations. Do you remember the details of her reasoning there?

Quote:
Certainly not.

Well, I wasn't aware of any, but so often it seems I do spend my time on this forum totally unaware of most of the little nuances....

Quote:
David

You'll have to tell me- you know the restaurant- etc.- and I'm always flexible. I'll call you closer to the date, okay?

Quote:
P.S.:
It was never my intention to have been unfriendly.[/b]

I'm glad to hear that-I was worried I had offended you in some way.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 08:09 am
aidan wrote:
David said:
Quote:
out of religious considerations.

Quote:
That sounds kind of curious- murder of your grandparents out of religious considerations.
Do you remember the details of her reasoning there?

I spoke in error.

That was not among her religious statements.
She deemed them to be in cahoots with the government against her.
She 's a sweet girl; pretty too.
She was a good secretary, in her early years of service.

Quote:
Certainly not.

Quote:
Well, I wasn't aware of any, but so often it seems I do spend my time on this forum
totally unaware of most of the little nuances....

I am equally unaware of them.

Quote:
David

Quote:
You'll have to tell me- you know the restaurant- etc.- and I'm always flexible.

6:30ish ?
Subject to the viscisitudes of NYC traffic ?

Quote:

I'll call you closer to the date, okay?

Yes.
I FORGOT that I gave u my fone number.

Quote:
P.S.:
It was never my intention to have been unfriendly.[/b]

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that-I was worried I had offended you in some way.

I remain 100% unoffended.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 08:31 am
David said:
Quote:
I remain 100% unoffended.

Laughing Yeah! I would have hated to have offended you, even inadvertantly.
Quote:
Yes.

Yep- you gave it to me, and I've written it safely in my address book, so I'll call you when I hit the US (mid -August) just to confirm everything- I'll be taking the train in from NJ or down from wherever the station is around where I'll be living in NY (which is still up in the air at this point) so if you give me the address of the restaurant, I'll get my dad to help me work out the train schedule, etc. so I can get there promptly at 6:30.
Oh wait, it wasn't you, it was your girfriend who got all bent out of shape about lateness- but you won't be late and leave me hanging will you? Just kidding, don't worry about it- I'll just walk around the block a couple of times or something- check out the neighborhood....I'm very good at occupying myself....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:12 am
aidan wrote:
David said:

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Yep- you gave it to me, and I've written it safely in my address book,
so I'll call you when I hit the US (mid -August) just to confirm everything-

It has been my long established practice to tell people
to " keep calling " in that I 'm in and out a lot;
unless we select a particular time for the call.

Quote:
I'll be taking the train in from NJ or down from wherever the station is
around where I'll be living in NY (which is still up in the air at this point)
so if you give me the address of the restaurant,
I'll get my dad to help me work out the train schedule, etc. so I can get there promptly at 6:30.

17 Barrow Street, NY, NY, NY; just a few steps east of 7th Ave,
on the south ( downtown ) side of Barrow Street.
It now goes by the name of " One if By Land, Two if By Sea ".

Quote:
Oh wait, it wasn't you, it was your girfriend who got all bent out of shape about lateness-
but you won't be late and leave me hanging will you?

Probably not; chances of that happening : c.15%,
subject to the uncertainties of traffic, but I can 't deny that it has happened b4 over the last 50 years.

I 'll probably be there first.

Quote:
Just kidding, don't worry about it- I'll just walk around the block a couple of times
or something- check out the neighborhood....
I'm very good at occupying myself....

It has a bar, and comfortable seating,
tho I remember that u said that u like to walk.
Perhaps u can explain that to me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
two Pakistanis meet casually in the street

Allah be praised I've not seen you for 15 years!

Indeed, how is your eldest boy

Oh he's studying to be an architect in London

And how is your son?

He's a doctor in Glasgow now

Goodness don't they blow up quickly these days?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 10:15 am
you have to laugh or go mad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6265500.stm
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:53 pm
Sometimes it DOES get me mad
about the annoyances that we have to go thru
because of these head cases that try to burn their shoes on planes.

special little cans of shaving cream !
0 Replies