The street goes both ways.....doesn't it?

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:57 am
Just read a news blurb that Salman Rushdie and his wife Padma Lakshmi the host of a popular cooking show, are divorcing. Apparantly they've been separated quite some time.

Now, I really don't care about any of that, their marriage troubles, or their personal life, but the picture of them that's copied below, made me think....

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/08/rushdieR180806_600x460.jpg

Can anyone post an example of a couple where the woman would be considered less than top model attractive, but the husband was really quite handsome?

I'm not really concerned with the Donald Trumps (yawn), but look at, for instance Alan Greenspan and Andrea Mitchell. Both accomplished in their own right, and although I'm sure Alan is facinating to talk to, one could not say he was better looking than Andrea.

I remember years back people making references to Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman....not that she's unattractive, but not in the same league with blue eyed Paul. Like it was so odd they would fall in love.

Now, the power/wealth issues aside, older rich guy, young beautiful wife...are we mere mortals just giving lip service to love being blind?

Can we hope to see Jude Law hook up with someone of this world?

BTW, I notice the scar on her arm...I like it. Adds to her being human.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,015 • Replies: 34
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
The scar featured prominently in his love ode to her (car accident, I forget though).

There was some study of what turns women on that found that a powerful man speaking powerfully to a group is as strong of an aphrodisiac for women as a picture of a nekkid lady was for men. I don't think there's really an analogue for men, where that powerful woman up on the podium gets 'em hot.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
You can see her nipples.

I mean, really see her nipples.

Shocked

Like, the areola part.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
That said there are some rich-but-not-that-beautiful women with pretty-boy husband.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
You can see her nipples.

I mean, really see her nipples.

Shocked

Like, the areola part.

Wait, maybe that's a shadow or my eyes are funky.

can anyone else see it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:03 pm
Nevermind, I think it's the drugs.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
sozobe wrote:
That said there are some rich-but-not-that-beautiful women with pretty-boy husband.

Like who?

Or, not even rich powerful people...do you know anyone at all where the husband can be said to be significantly more attractive?

I see plenty of woman with either not physically attractive or significantly overweight men/husbands, where they are just average people, lifestyle wise.

When was the last time you saw a handsome, well built man with a wife that was 50 pounds overweight? Or with bad skin?

Also, women who are dressed, not fancy, but decently, as in nice...with a husband wearing knockarounds and bad haircut....you don't see men wearing nice cloths with the woman dressed in dowdy stuff....in the case where you can tell one of them just ran out of the house dressed like that because they were in a rush...you can tell they don't normally look like that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
They aren't streets! Them's beauts - not too big, and not too small. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
Chai wrote:
When was the last time you saw a handsome, well built man with a wife that was 50 pounds overweight? Or with bad skin?

every year at the office Christmas party

every weekend down at The Beach

every day when I look at a few of my neighbours
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:19 pm
Personally, I don't think she's that beautiful at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
Bella Dea, That's the reason beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that's a good thing. Wink
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:30 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Chai wrote:

every year at the office Christmas party

every weekend down at The Beach

every day when I look at a few of my neighbours

Interesting.

Attractive to the point where the man turns heads? Or where one would take such note of it as to comment on it?

I don't doubt you at all, I just don't know of anyone like that. Thinking of my neighbors, friends, people walking down the street....Most people are on the same level of attractiveness, or the woman quite a bit better looking.

Bella...she wouldn't be "my type" either, but I know she'd be viewed as attractive by many. If she was married to a handsome man, they'd look like a nice couple. Of course Rushie is a great mind, and that made him attrative to her....How many men would say...I feel in love with her genius, her looks were secondary?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:32 pm
Star Jones and Al Reynolds

Elizabeth Taylor and Larry Fortensky -- it's not like he was so hot but there was definitely a disparity.

I think Padma's beautiful but I think Rushdie has a lot going on too actually. And that's not just because he's pretty much my favorite author (no qualifiers 5 years ago or so, but his latest work has been eh -- I hold that against Padma).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:32 pm
Hot guy, ugly girl. Hmmm...nope, I don't understand the premise.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
Chai wrote:
Attractive to the point where the man turns heads? Or where one would take such note of it as to comment on it?

Yup - and definitely yes at the Christmas Party (alcohol really helps to get people talking about that sort of thing).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:48 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bella Dea, That's the reason beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that's a good thing. Wink

True, dat.

But the point I am making is that she might find him very handsome and to her their looks might not seem so "off".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:55 pm
There's Jon Bon Govi and his wife. He's tres hubba hubba and she's pretty in the regular girl sense of pretty;

http://allbonjovi.tripod.com/j-d-031405-3.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Chai wrote:

Yup - and definitely yes at the Christmas Party (alcohol really helps to get people talking about that sort of thing).

You got me thinking about an ex-boyfriend, one I had from, oh, about 21 to 28 or 29.

I'm not a bad looking person...and I was really, if I may say so, pretty good looking in my younger years. However, as you can guess, I was not the type of person that put up with a lot of nonsense flirting. I was more the type a guy noticed after (or if) he got tired of talking to bubble heads. Suited me fine because that showed he had a brain.

This BF happened to be really good looking. The type women would slow down in their cars and take a picture of while he was cruising on his bike. Of course, after being together awhile, his looks really didn't mean that much to me.

I took him to a Christmas party where I was working, and where he didn't know anyone. The people I worked with and knew well just said hello when introduced, no big deal, we looked like we belonged together. But.....this one man who worked there (was pretty handsome himself), who DIDN'T know me well, and only saw my no nonsense demeanor, actually did a double take when he asked me where my boyfriend was, and I pointed him out across the room.

THAT's your boyfriend?!!!??

me: yeah, why...do you know him?

him: No...but....he's just really handsome and...(realized just then what he was saying to me and shut up)

me: and you don't know why a handsome guy like that would be with me, right?

him....oh, noooo....that's not it......uh....

ok, so he'd probably had a drink or two...but in vino veritas.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:19 pm
money and power.. any man with money and power is attractive to a woman, at least until she has gotten as much gain from him as possible.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
Yikes, Bella! She's a true beauty...almost off the charts (and nice headlights too)! Beauty is so subjective. I like darker ethnic look. I think Salma Hayek is a true beauty too.
0 Replies