Christian influence on Islam pre-630 CE?

dov1953

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 03:41 pm
Question Since the area that we now know as arab and Islamic was mostly, at one time, part of the Roman Empire and many parts, Christian for centuries, I wonder what influence the early Church had on Islamic philosophy and, for lack of a better word, morals and folklore and similar things. I know the 2 religions share many stories but I am not referring to that. Centuries of one religion must have great impact on the development of another. Or not.....Does anyone know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,509 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 07:27 pm
Several Byzantine chroniclers (and I will have to dig through my library for their names) considered Islam to be a Christian Heresy in the early Eighth Century. It also ahs a great deal in common with early Rabbinic Judaism.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:29 pm
What exactly was it that was similar to Rabbinic Judaism? Also, how could Islam be a schism of Christianity? It doesn't even consider a combination of divinity and Jesus. I don't know, I'm just asking.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:32 pm
the linking thread of judaism>christianity>islam is Abraham, the personage of jesus is considered an apostle in Islam (perhaps not the right label) actually i think the term used in the koran for jesus is prophet
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 02:03 am
From what I've read (and Medieval Islam is only a minor field, my major field is Western Medieval religious and Intelellectual) the similarities in legalities quoted in the Koran to Jewish orthopraxis in late antiquity lend credence to the theory that Islam may have been heavily influenced by Judaism. Bear in mind the prevalence of Jewish merchants and Jewish settlements in coastal Arabia at the time.
One would think that the reason Byzantines would assume Islam was a Christian Heresy would have been the lack of cognitive models for anything else.
0 Replies