Jesus Christ's name in early medieval west

dov1953

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 03:22 pm
Very Happy I've heard that the name "Jesus Christ" is Greek. What was he known by in the Western Roman Empire? I would think that since the western empire took such an independent course for nearly 500 years before the fall of Rome in 476 that it would have produced a Latin name for JC. My real middle name is Yoshua by the way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,760 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 03:35 pm
Iesvs is the Latin (Roman) version of the Hebrew name Yeshua (phonetic spelling). The Greek version of Kristos means 'the annointed one.' I doubt that another appelation was in use in the Western empire. Latin was the language of the upper classes in latter-day Rome. On the street, Greek was more commonly the Lingua Franca in all the Roman colonies, including Judea.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:05 pm
Latin: Ievsvs
Middle English: Jesu
Old French: Jhesu
Old High German: Isa
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:15 pm
In Old High German it is, as far as I know, "isais" (source: Lexikon des Althochdeutschen)

Do you ahve references for especially your Latin quote, hobitbob?
(I just know pre-medieval sources in Latin, where it always has been "Iesvs" [and this only reasoned by the fact that in Latin 'v' and 'u' is the same letter].)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 01:57 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
In Old High German it is, as far as I know, "isais" (source: Lexikon des Althochdeutschen)

Do you ahve references for especially your Latin quote, hobitbob?
(I just know pre-medieval sources in Latin, where it always has been "Iesvs" [and this only reasoned by the fact that in Latin 'v' and 'u' is the same letter].)

Other than the Vulgate, and various missals I had access to when writing my MA, not really. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:14 am
I had, fortunately (in this special case, at least) living in Europe/Germany :wink:
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:26 am
I am referring to the most common spellings I encountered. I had access to several 14th and 15th century documents, missals, wills, and and early printed versions of preyers. Most of these were in photocopy form. Included in these were several prayer books from Fulda. I am not arguing with you, merely pointing out that spelling wasn't standardized until much later.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:52 pm
Laughing Actually, when I asked the original question I was referring to I wanted to know what Jesus was commonly called in western Europe. I suppose if you hear a Greek talk about Christianity you will probably hear him say the words "Jesus Christ". I wonder what words you would have heard from a speaker of late antiquity. The only capital of Christianity for three centuries was Rome so I assume a Latin name would have evolved.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 09:10 pm
I believe you assume wrongly, Dov. A lot of Greek was used in everyday speech in Rome and Christianity had first taken hold in the Near East, where Greek was far more common than Latin, before the movement reached Rome. An appelation such as Cristos to the proper given name 'Jesus' would not have seemed strange to the Romans and there would have been no need to translate it into Latin. Don't forget, even the Latin Mass of the Roman Catholic Church uses some Greek. The [i[Kyrie Eleyson[/i] portion of the Mass, which is a plea for mercy and forgiveness, isn't Latin. It is Greek and was a standard legal formula of the time, in throwing oneself upon the mercy of the ruler.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 10:44 pm
Cool You know how it is when you hear a new word for the first time and then hear it a dozen times in the following weeks? Well, when I first asked this question of the group, I of course didn't know the answer, then I saw a bumper sticker with a Orthodox Christian cross. Next to that were the words, "Slava Isusu Christu". If that was Romanian then most likely that is what Jesus was known by in late antiquity. I assume "Slava" is a reference to the church or to the Slavic in some way. I may be wrong.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:42 pm
"Slava" or "Salva"?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 05:50 am
'Slava' is a Slavic word (still current in modern Russian) which means, roughly 'Glory.'
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 11:54 am
Thanks, I didn't know. Very Happy
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
'Slava' is a Slavic word (still current in modern Russian) which means, roughly 'Glory.'
Not roughly, this is an absolutely accurate meaning of the word in both modern and ancient Russian.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:25 pm
So I am assuming that the bumper sticker was written in a Romance language, which Romanian was. So the sticker said then, "Glory to Jesus Christ". It couldn't have derived from an "eastern" church because they would, I suppose, have used the name Jesus Christ.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:27 pm
The use of the word 'slava' would indicate the bumper sticker was written in a Slavic language, rather than Romance. Here's the rub, however: while Romanian is classified as a Romance language, it has been greatly influenced by Slavic languages due to the fact that virtually all the country's neighbors speak Slavic languages. There are many Slavic loan words which appear in no other Romance language. For example, the word for 'yes' in Romanian is 'da', not 'si', 'sim' or 'oui.' I'm not fluent in Romanian, but I assume the sticker means 'Glory to Jesus Christ' or some variation thereof.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 11:03 pm
Welcome back, Andrew!

"Slavă Domnului!" means "Thank God!", so the sticker could mean something in the mentioned direction as well.

[Nice and quite complete online dictionary here:English<> Romanian dictionary]
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 06:55 am
Hello, Walter, and thanks for the welcome. I have three weeks of e-mail to catch up on! A truly daunting task.

Your post admirably illustrates what I was saying about Romanian. That phrase is a mixture of Slavic and Romance roots. The Dominului part is obviously derived from the Latin (cf. dominus=Lord), while the slava is of Slavic derivation.
0 Replies