Saying goodby to the garbage man and other stories.

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:25 pm
I have a similar kitchen. All from good old

IKEA
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:28 pm
My bedroom is also entirely IKEA. Billy bookcases and bed. When I was moving and had to take them apart, I found out they were all made in Slovakia. Me and my bedroom are a total Slovak island here in Cambridge.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:33 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
you do of course realize that in his teenage years, Mo will be climbing out of that balcony to escape for night adventures...

Maybe. Maybe not. SonofEva has a bedroom with a balcony on the front of the house. We notified all our neighbors that if they see anything funny going on, they should tell us. If he does anything out there, the entire neighborhood will see it. It's the least private space we have.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:39 pm
Good point Eva!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:30 pm
That Ikea kitchen site is soooo cool!

I think the Ikea here opened yesterday......

Things are getting hot hot hot on the house. Decision time is here. Mr. B called this morning stressed out beyond compare -- worried about Mo since Mo is currently in "I'm not moving" mode. The trust that owns the house might not be able to do whatever tax deal they were hoping for so the moving date could be pushed up (fingers crossed).

I'm thinking that suggesting the house comes with Mo's own personal puppy (since we've been thinking about getting one anyway) might cinch the deal.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:32 pm
And you get 10 years warrant with IKEA kitchens!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
I'm not against bribery in these cases. Duckie got a brand new Nintendo DS to make changing schools a little more palatable. God I hate that thing, but it brings him pleasure.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
Quote:
Breed: German Wirehaired Pointer/Labrador Mix
Sex: Female
Weight: 5 lbs
I am an adorable German Wirehaired Pointer/ Labrador Retriever mix, only 8 weeks old and I am destined to be a high achiever! Now that I am here in the shelter I am hoping to find a home of my own right away! My mom was small German Wirehaired Pointer so I am probably not going to be all that big. If you and your family are ready to raise a youngster than I would love to meet you- we can have a life long relationship! 8 weeks old-5lb. My adoption fee is $250 and includes; current shots, reduced cost spay and $25 spay rebate, 1 month pet health insurance, Free veterinary exam (SE Portland/Milwaukie area) , 5 week training class, leash/collar, toy & treat packet, food sample.

http://familydogsnewlife.org/dogImages/thumbnails/yale027-13.9.24.29.jpg

I know we've been talking about one of our neighbor's dogs but if things happen fast this little beauty is up for grabs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:28 pm
aaawwww, what a cutie. I'd move in a heartbeat, if I were Mo Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:32 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Really? My IKEA kitchen is about 10 years old now, but I never had
any problems, so nothing to warrant yet. What I liked a lot about the
IKEA kitchen is that I could regulate the counter height to 37 inches, and since I am tall, it was such a relief to not have to bend down, as most counters are too low for me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:36 pm
oooh, boomer, that puppy is too cute. I'd move anywhere if I were promised such. And what a good package it comes with. Are you thinking of this one? I already formed an attachment to this particular one (i can't look at shelter dogs and cats online, it kills me. i want every last one of them).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:51 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Really? My IKEA kitchen is about 10 years old now, but I never had
any problems, so nothing to warrant yet. What I liked a lot about the
IKEA kitchen is that I could regulate the counter height to 37 inches, and since I am tall, it was such a relief to not have to bend down, as most counters are too low for me.

Yes. http://i7.tinypic.com/6c4ugww.jpg

Various heighs in kitchens are common since ages: you get at least three different choices (the more expensive brands even offer more - and smaller - steps).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 04:20 pm
It is a cute puppy, isn't it?

I just sent an email to Mr. B --

Subject line: It might make it easier for Mo to move....

Text: ...if the house came already equipped with a friend.

Followed by photo, description and contact info. We'll see where things go from there.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 04:41 pm
He's got to say yes! Who could resist such an adorable puppy.
Although I would wait until you're moved into the new house to take the
pup.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 04:47 pm
Oh yes, I agree. It needs to be a that house puppy.

The shelter where this puppy is typically doesn't have a lot of baby dogs but I'm thinking maybe we could adopt it and pay for boarding it there for a month or so.

The other shelters don't have any puppies under six months and as I've discussed on other threads, I really want a baby dog for Mo.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:51 am
It's settled. We're moving.

It's funny. Over the last year, long before we ever started talking about moving, I started paring down our possessions, organizing things, making order out of chaos. Maybe it was having the adoption final after four long and confusing years. Maybe it was seeing Mr. B's business really take off. Maybe I just needed a purge. I don't know what sparked it but I'm glad because now everything seems really managable.

Except for the garage.

I started on the garage yesterday afternoon. We have six hammers (so far). How in the world did we end up with six hammers? I think we must sleepwalk around the neighborhood stealing hammers. Strange.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:53 am
Congratulations, boomer!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:55 am
It's settled?!

Wow!

Congratulations.

I can't wait to follow the saga of the house, if you're willing to keep posting updates/ photos. It's really a stunner and I bet you guys are going to do amazing things with it.

How's Mo feel about the whole shebang?

I think I already mentioned but in case I didn't, sozlet went back and forth a lot too before we moved. That's where the validation stuff comes in -- agreeing there is a lot that sucky about it, making photo albums of old house/ old neighborhood, etc. -- allowing that process to happen. While also pointing out super-cool things about moving to the new place, and encouraging anticipation there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
Thanks!

Yes, it's settled. At least I can now start talking about moving without the maybe part attached. I think that will really help. I haven't broken the actual fact moving news to Mo yet -- he just now got out of bed. I might wait a few days until Mr. B can be here before dinner time so we can all talk about it together when we won't be pushed for time. There is a really cool nature park that runs along a pretty creek very near the house. I'm thinking that might be a great place to talk about it.

We are hoping to push the closing date up a few weeks and that would be great -- giving us time to visit the school and settle in a little.

I know sozlet bounce back from the move just fine so knowing she did the sway beforehand helps a lot.

We have a lot of photos of all of his friends, including Larry and Curly who moved away. I'll try to get those organized for him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:14 am
That sounds good.

There seemed to be something helpful about explicitly taking new photos for that reason, too -- everyone seemed to hug a little tighter, and the picture-taking became part of the process as well as the resulting photos being their own thing.

The park sounds great, I'll bet he'll be spending a lot of time there.
0 Replies