Saying goodby to the garbage man and other stories.

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:10 am
It was that time again.

Every month, I gathered articles for the small community newsletter I published. I had volunteered as editor seven or eight years before. I loved doing it. It was the best volunteer job I'd ever had. Mostly because of the people I'd recruited to help me.

These were no ordinary volunteers. For example, the Chamber of Commerce's graphic artist did my layout. The guy who, one year later, would become executive editor for the Oil & Gas Journal (a major national magazine) did my copyediting. We had a waiting list for advertising. The city's leading authority on organic gardening wrote a regular column.

And then there was this other guy.

Seven years before, when I was just starting to reinvent this little paper, I had quickly run out of ideas for a remodeling column. So I went to the nearest locally-owned hardware store and asked if they'd like to write the column for the publicity. The man in charge said, "We have a guy back here who'd be perfect for that. He loves to write. Let me get him."

And that's how I met Joe Nation.

Every month, I'd call him and remind him when his article was due. And every month, rain or shine, he came up with another article. Just two or three paragraphs, but always good. People loved Joe's column. It had that rare mixture of practicality and warmth that attracts regular readers.

Joe was my most dependable volunteer. It became a comfortable routine. I'd call Joe to see if his article was ready, then I'd go pick it up at the store. And stand around and talk to Joe for a while if he had time. That was the best part. He always made me laugh. He seemed to have a limitless range of interests and knowledge. We had common political views. And he was a GREAT writer. What was he doing working in a hardware store, I wondered. I decided not to ask. I just considered myself extremely fortunate to have found him.

So on we went, month after month, year after year….

Then suddenly one Tuesday morning, Joe appeared on my doorstep with his article. He'd dropped it by my house on occasion before, but something was different about him this time. He wasn't himself. He was nervous and out of breath. His hands were even shaking a little.

"This is my last column," he said. "I just turned in my keys to the store."

Before I had time to react, he continued. "I'm moving to New York City. We just decided this weekend. We're selling all our stuff, and L. is leaving in a couple of days. I just have to sell the car. We'll be there next weekend."

I was stunned! "B-b-but…so fast?!"

"Yeah. We finally got up the nerve, and if we don't do it fast, I'm afraid we'll chicken out."

"B-b-but, Joe…New York City?!?!?"

"I have family back there. Besides, the kids are gone now, there's no reason for us to stay in Tulsa any more."

There was no use in arguing with him. He was really going.

We talked for a good while. I thanked him for all his work, and he complimented me on mine. We promised to stay in touch. I wished him luck. We hugged. He left.

I looked down at the article he'd handed me when he arrived. It was longer than usual. There was a postscript at the end.

"P.S. This will be my last column. I was on my way to New York City when I stopped in Tulsa for a summer job writing audio scripts for schoolchildren.

That was 24 years ago.

Tulsans have been the best people I have ever known, but now I'm moving to New York City to be a scriptwriter. Again.

Yes, I'll miss you all. Yes, you will all be in the movies.

Thanks for a wonderful summer.

--J"

That was the last time I saw Joe. The article and postscript were published on page 3 of the September 1995 issue.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
What a great story!!!!!

Really wonderful.

Is that connection relevent to how you both ended up here, on A2K?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:24 am
We did keep in touch. First through Christmas cards and then by e-mail. Wonderful e-mails. Then one day Joe wrote to me about a new site called "A2K" and suggested I check it out. Of course I couldn't resist. Joe always found the most interesting stuff.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:45 am
Excellent story, Eva (and Joe). And I believe that makes 12 years the official count.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:41 pm
Good. That makes me one year younger.

Wait a minute. I said 13 years this Labor Day.... .

Joe( These are the days of miracles and wonder.)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:09 pm
<squints> Is that some kinda New York math, Joe? Laughing

It's 12 years. (Maybe it just FEELS like 13.)

Anyway, it's been too long, ya big lug. And I still can't pass Elmer's BBQ without thinking of you. When BEST put up their new (even larger) sign that is almost the size of Blockbuster's, I swore I could hear you laughing all the way from NYC.

How's that for miracles and wonder...(((HUGS)))
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:19 am
It is really fun to read about the history you two share. I would have never guessed that there was a connection beyond A2K.

I have often wondered if there are people I know posting on here but I just don't know that it's them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:15 pm
<taptaptaptaptap>

We should hear something tomorrow on the house.

<taptaptap>

There were 10 offers, all at full price, minimum, on the house when they shut it down to review what they had.

<taptaptap>

Mr. B is saying.... if we don't get this one, we might wait a year, until next summer to move.

<taptaptap>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:38 pm
Oh wow...

I'll set up my li'l A2K alter for you and commence omming...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:46 pm
Great story, eva (and Joe).

ommmmmmmm, for boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:00 pm
I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Mr. B is sounding doubtful.

Ours was the first offer in -- within hours of it going on the market -- so maybe that will count for something.

Houses here can sell really fast. My neighbors sold at full price in under two hours. The housing market here is crazy.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:52 pm
Good luck, boomer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:14 pm
Crossing my fingers for y'all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:11 pm
Hoping, you'll get it ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 11:18 am
Me too.

Also, sometimes people's bids fall apart, even if they seem good on the surface.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:45 pm
We got it!!!!!

There are still a few t's to cross and i's to dot but we got it!

Mr. B was stunned. He didn't think we would.

I haven't even seen it yet so neither has Mo. We're going over to prowl around tomorrow.

I'm so excited.

And the garbage man was wearing his hat today!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:46 pm
Wow! Congrats!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 02:49 pm
Oh wow!

Have I mentioned that A2K mojo is mighty?

Congratulations!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:00 pm
Woot!!! How very cool is that?

[size=7]<I sure hope you and Mo like it>[/size]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:10 pm
Fantastic, that is terrific!
0 Replies