Virginity rare, drug use common with US-adults

Thomas

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:02 pm
martybarker wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Humans reach sexual maturity at the age of 12. So they'll start wanting to sleep with one another when they're 12, period.

And where does this information come from?

A very valid question. After you asked, I looked it up in my old textbook, Biologie des Menschen. It gives a range between 10 and 12 years for girls, and between 12 and 15 for boys. Admittedly I have no source for my claim that humans acquire a sex drive when they reach sexual maturity. It just seemed like a common-sense inferrence to me. With this in mind, I revise my sentence as follows: "Humans reach sexual maturity between the ages of 10 and 15. So I presume they'll start wanting to sleep with one another when they're between 10 and 15. Period."

Better?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:15 pm
SEXUAL MATURITY RATINGS

the above linked article gives a good deal of researched information about the sexual development of american adolescents .
well worth a few minutes of reading .
hbg

from the article :
Quote:
Male sexual development generally begins with the attainment of stage G2, at an average age of 11.6 years (range 9.5-13.5 years). The first physical sign of puberty in 98% of males is testicular enlargement. Ejaculation often occurs during SMR3 while SMR4 is often associated with fertility but may occur during SMR3. Puberty takes about 3 years to complete but may range from 2 to 5 years. The typical sequence of pubertal events in males is seen below which demonstrates the usual late occurrence of peak height velocity at an average SMR of 4. The typical sequence is adrenarche, beginning of growth spurt, testicular development, beginning of pubic hair, peak height velocity

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:16 pm
martybarker wrote:
Remind me to never introduce you to my kids Crying or Very sad This thread has become quite disturbing and I'm going to sign out.

Yes -- evidently you have to get personal because you don't like the facts I present and disagree with the opinions I hold. It's probably best, then, if you take a deep breath and a break. Enjoy!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:53 pm
martybarker wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Humans reach sexual maturity at the age of 12. So they'll start wanting to sleep with one another when they're 12, period.

And where does this information come from?

That's human biology, a fact. (And scan indeed be found in any biology book, what Thomas said.)

I don't think that someone really suggests, kids MUST have sex at that age (boys have to be older, Thomas' age is correct).

JPB wrote:
If I were to pick an age for when I think today's youth are ready to take on the responsibilities of parenthood I would say 28(ish). That doesn't mean that biology hasn't been filling their heads with desires and needs for many years already. If we, as parents, don't give them adequate information to prevent unwanted pregnancies then we don't give them proper tools to make smart decisions toward preventing unwanted pregnancies. Abstinence only curricula, IMHO, does a disservice to our youth toward that end.

Responsibility about parenthood can't be "generally generalised", I think. I do know a few parents below 20, who are more responsible than many above 30 :wink: .... but otherwise I can agree with that.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 07:09 pm
Yes, me again....I'm not at all disagreeing about the age that a young person reaches sexual maturity. What I am saying is that children at the age of 12- 15 are not necessarily ready for sex. Maybe this explains why some adults prey on young people, because they think its normal.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:30 pm
marty :
i hope you will read the article on "sexual maturiy rating" i linked earlier .
its all rather clinical but provides information that we all should be aware of .
why not give it a try , it costs only a few minutes .
hbg
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:37 pm
I read it and I'm not sure what I was supposed to understand from it any differently than what I already know. Nowhere does it state my opposition that a 12-15 year old is ready to have sexual intercourse.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:57 pm
martybarker wrote:
Yes, me again....I'm not at all disagreeing about the age that a young person reaches sexual maturity. What I am saying is that children at the age of 12- 15 are not necessarily ready for sex.

I agree with this -- and neither are people at the age of 16-116.

martybarker wrote:
Maybe this explains why some adults prey on young people, because they think its normal.

Thanks for repeating your thought without suggesting I might be one of those adults.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:06 am
Thomas wrote:
Miller, are you aware that the authority you're quoting is a letter to the editor of the New Scientist, not an article in it. Are you aware that this letter to the editor quotes no research to support itself at all?

From Facts on Condoms
Quote:
two pregnancies arising from an estimated 8,300 acts of sexual intercourse, for a 0.02 percent per-condom pregnancy rate.[3]
* In one year with perfect use (meaning couples use condoms consistently and correctly at every act of sex), 98 percent of women relying on male condoms will remain pregnancy free. With typical use, 85 percent relying on male condoms will remain pregnancy free.[3]
* In one year with perfect use, 95 percent of women relying on the female condom will remain pregnancy free. With typical use, 79 percent relying on female condoms will remain pregnancy free.[3]
* By comparison, only 15 percent of women using no method of contraception in a year will remain pregnancy free.[3]

Reference 3: # Hatcher RA et al. Contraceptive Technology, 18th rev. ed. New York: Ardent Media, 2004.

BTW - I calculated the 95% confidence interval of the 2/8300 failures which is 0 to 9 pregnancies per 8300 sex acts. I hate it when data is presented without confidence intervals. I'd have to dig into the original article to get the numbers that were used to derive the 15% failure rate in typical use in order to calculate the CI.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:11 am
perhaps this is a somewhat crude way of trying to explain it in simple terms :

when chickens are ready to lay eggs , they are going to lay eggs .

imo , biologically speaking , the "human animal" can't be expected to be that much different .

of course , parents and teachers can have an influence - hopefully a moderating one , but in the end it's a biological function of the body .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:33 am
re condoms ... and from the anedotical experience of presenting the use of such to kids and youth 8and adults (sic!):
most failures only happen because condoms are used not properly.

female condoms aren't - at least as far as I consider this - a good advice for younger girls/women since you really need to know not only how to use them but your body .... and mind as well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:57 am
I've been looking and thinking about the chart Thomas added earlier on and I am truly curious to know what is being taught in sex ed in Germany and other countries with low rates.
I believe in doing what works and obviously Germany and some others are doing something right and the US looks to be a sinking ship as far as this subject is concerned.
I bet I wouldn't feel the way I do about sex ed in schools if it were taught properly and without crossing the line.

Knowing Walter all these years, I bet if we sat down and he told me all about the sex ed in Germany, I could easily change my mind about sex ed in schools.
The experiences I had in Massachusetts completely disgusted me, which obviously has an impact on my thoughts about sex ed.

My feelings are based strictly on my experience with the US schools, but I don't want to close my mind to this because it's clear that other countries in the lower rates are doing something right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:06 am
hamburger wrote:
perhaps this is a somewhat crude way of trying to explain it in simple terms :

when chickens are ready to lay eggs , they are going to lay eggs .

imo , biologically speaking , the "human animal" can't be expected to be that much different .

A hen doesn't need a rooster to lay eggs hamburger. They will lay those eggs even if they've never seen a rooster.

female humans lay an egg every month (or so) too.

As far as biology, isn't the reason for sex reproduction?

Just because a female is producing eggs does not mean she is ready to reproduce.

Parts of her body are just too immature, small, to safely carry a child to term, or ensure her own safety during pregnancy and delivery.

What of the 8 or 9 year old that starts to produce eggs? She is physically not ready for sex.

There seems to be this assumption that all a females organs grow at the same pace. They do not. Anyone watching a young person/teenager can see different parts growing at different rates, just like any maturing young animal.

We are a thinking animal, so are not commited to physically having sex as soon as just one part of our bodies are ready to.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:23 am
Montana wrote:

Knowing Walter all these years, I bet if we sat down and he told me all about the sex ed in Germany, I could easily change my mind about sex ed in schools.
The experiences I had in Massachusetts completely disgusted me, which obviously has an impact on my thoughts about sex ed.

Well, I could still give you some privat lessons ... :wink:

Actually, at school, with older pupils it was .... nerving.
Doing it (in and out school) with the younger kids (and out of school with the older youth as well) was really fun.
For all ... (quite a few still remember me ... and hopefully, what I tried to tech them).
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
Thomas wrote:
martybarker wrote:
Is it also OK for a 30 year old man to have sex with a 14 year old girl as long as both people say its OK??

As far as I am concerned, yes..

What the hell is wrong with you?

Thomas, next time you visit the US, maybe you'll be a star on the TV show, "To Catch a Predator."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:29 am
I trust you Walter, and I'm quite sure you're a fine teacher ;-)

I can only imagine how tough it might be to teach in such a sensative subject.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
Montana wrote:

Especially, when introducing the topic at a parent-teacher conference.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:41 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Thomas wrote:
martybarker wrote:
Is it also OK for a 30 year old man to have sex with a 14 year old girl as long as both people say its OK??

As far as I am concerned, yes..

What the hell is wrong with you?

Thomas, next time you visit the US, maybe you'll be a star on the TV show, "To Catch a Predator."

After finally paying some attention to Thomas posts, it seems that he likes to consider himself avant garde and bohemian, not on the same plane with us mere mortals with a sense of morals.

He's just a free spirit living outside the confines of society.

Not unlike Alleistar Crowley or the Marquis de Sade.

Then, I quickly stopped paying attention to his posts again, since for me, it was a bore.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Montana wrote:

Especially, when introducing the topic at a parent-teacher conference.

Shocked
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:13 am
Because the parents (that was only with church groups, outside school!) wanted to know en detail what I was going to tell and why and how and how I would react if ...

At school, neither teachers nor parents bothered but were glad that someone else did the job.
0 Replies