Holy ****! Congressional Approval @ 14%

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Ash is one of the most respected and thoughtful posters on A2K. For you to trash him is just another example of how far the left has sunk.

By the right-wingers here, yes, he is.

I'm really not interested in your opinion on anything, Cj, other then for purely comedic value.

Cycloptichorn

Then go away. Hide your ugly existence under a rock where it belongs.

Pathetic, but funny. The comedic value angle holds up..

You're my favorite quasi-troll here, man

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:21 pm
At least I have relevance - something you throw out the window when you live in Berkeley.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:18 pm
So, I finally went back and read the link and followed its links and I find it all quite interesting. The 14% number isn't the percentage of people who approve of Congress, it's the percentage of people who express strong confidence in them. And while 14% is low, it was only 19% last year. Apparently, we've never had much faith in Congress.

Quote:
The percentage of Americans with a "great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in Congress is at 14%, the lowest in Gallup's history of this measure -- and the lowest of any of the 16 institutions tested in this year's Confidence in Institutions survey. It is also one of the lowest confidence ratings for any institution tested over the last three decades.

But there's more. While it's certainly a sign of the times that Congress gets such low confidence marks at this time, the study actually appears to show that we have low confidence in just about everything right now.

Quote:
Gallup's annual update on Americans' confidence in institutions shows that confidence ratings are generally down across the board compared with last year. The public's confidence ratings in several institutions, including Congress, are now at all-time low points in Gallup's history of this measure. These low ratings reflect the generally sour mood of the public at this time.

As for our confidence in the three branches of the federal government:

Quote:
Confidence in the three branches of government -- executive (the presidency), legislative (Congress), and judicial (the Supreme Court) -- has been drifting downward over the past several years, following historically high ratings in the years immediately after 9/11.

http://media.gallup.com/POLL/Releases/pr070621ii.gif
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:23 pm
1 a : relation to the matter at hand b : practical and especially social applicability : PERTINENCE <giving relevance to college courses>
2 : the ability (as of an information retrieval system) to retrieve material that satisfies the needs of the user
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:34 am
Asherman wrote:
... or just maybe, the people aren't as disenchanted with the Administration's policies as some might like to think.

Yeah, that must be why in the same poll, confidence in the Presidency is ... <drumroll> ... 25%.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:46 am
Mind you, it's important to distinguish between the question in this poll - do you have confidence in Congress - and the that of the running poll you see quoted regularly - do you approve of the job Congress is doing.

Confidence in Congress, per Gallup, is at 14%; approval of the job it is doing, also per Gallup, is 24%. Both in the shitter, obviously, but still a difference worth mentioning (just in case you were wondering why Congress's numbers suddenly dropped 10+%).

blueflame1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not surprising. The Republicans hate the Dem congress and the anti-war dems hate the dem congress, who are too cowardly to cut off the funding.

Cycloptichorn kinda summed it up I think.

That does seem to be pretty much it. When it comes to job approval - the 24% number - Congress's numbers have dropped because its approval among Republicans dropped sharply after the Democrats took over and has gradually slipped further since; and its approval among Democrats has dropped sharply since April, when the Iraq bill was dealt with: from 43% to 29%.

See this (rather chaotic) graph.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:50 am
HokieBird wrote:
Congress approval in particular is down 13 points since February, just after the Democrats took over.

Yeah, it is now so bad, it's .. well .. almost as bad as when the Republicans were last in power.

Congressional job approval - still according to Gallup:

December 2006: 21%
June 2007: 24%
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
X-post from the "House in Disarray" thread:

Job approval for Congress is still in the tank - the last polls out by CBS, Newsweek and Gallup have it at 24-27%.

So have the Democrats effed up? Are they just as bad as the Republicans?

Uh-huh. Not even close.

Quote:
June 29, 2007

POLL: CNN on Congressional Democrats and Republicans

Yet more results from the latest CNN/ORC national survey (story, results) of 1,029 adults (conducted 6/22 through 6/24):

• Although fewer adults approve (42%) than disapprove (49%) "what the Democratic leaders in the U.S. House and Senate have done so far this year," a majority says it is good (57%) rather than bad (31%) "that the Democratic Party is in control of the Congress."

• The "Democratic Party" receives a net positive rating (51% favorable, 38% unfavorable), while the ratings of the "Republican Party" are net negative (36% favorable, 53% unfavorable).

• Among 907 registered voters, Democrats begin with a twelve point lead (53% to 41%) in the generic Congressional vote.

source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 08:37 pm
All those who said that the low approval rate for Congress shows that Americans have become turned off by the Democrats, please pay attention:

Quote:
ON HATING THE CONGRESS

The new Washington Post poll gives us more detail on what lies behind the low approval ratings the Congress has received recently. While 57% of the respondents disapprove of the job performance of the Democrats in Congress, ten percent more (for a total of 67%) disapprove of the job the Republicans in Congress are doing. [..]

And when respondents who think that the Congress has achieved little or nothing are asked to assign blame for that 51% pin it squarely on Bush and the Republicans in Congress, whereas only 25% see the Democrats in Congress as the culprits.

These findings lay to rest the conservative argument that the low approval rates of the Congress are shorthand for low approval rates of the Congressional Democrats now in majority. But of course the Democrats are not getting off shot-free, either. I was especially fascinated to learn that 55% of the poll respondents believe that they have not gone far enough in their opposition to the war in Iraq. That's a majority, whatever the conventional wisdom inside the Beltway might say.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:53 am
It is to be expected as congress is deadlocked by party politics. Democrats has razor thin majority in the Senate and a better majority in the House. Commenting on Congress is useless. It doesn't mean anything. The Republican media is only trying to play up Democrats impotence. However, the Democrats has succeeded in stopping the Presidential steamroller.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:43 am
talk72000 wrote:
It is to be expected as congress is deadlocked by party politics. Democrats has razor thin majority in the Senate and a better majority in the House. Commenting on Congress is useless. It doesn't mean anything. The Republican media is only trying to play up Democrats impotence. However, the Democrats has succeeded in stopping the Presidential steamroller.

Sentence by sentence:

1) Congress generally deadlocked, particularly when it comes to Dems vs Reps agenda. Nothing new.

2) Statement of fact. :wink:

3) If enough of us do it, and pass that on to Congresspersons, I submit that it is NOT useless. (Witness recent "Amnesty Bill" business.)

4) Only if you let it.

5) Why is it the "Republican" media when they say something that the Dems don't like and the "Democratic" media when the reverse is true. Pure hype, either way. Cause for continued friction net result.

6) "Steamroller"? I surmise that is your term for actually trying to get something done that you don't particularly like. (Nor I for that matter.)

So we are all upset about Congress. Welcome aboard! I've been griping about those clowns (all parties' affiliation intended) for years. I have e-mailed, written, got editorials published in the local papers. You might contend that it is useless, but I contend that if enough of us poor, dumb taxpayers/voters out here do the same, then it might just happen that one or two of the "Chosen Ones" just might listen to us.

Waddaya say, gang? You gonna be part of the potential solution or just be content to sit there and bitch?

OK. One further, if you can't bring yourself to do anything else, VOTE! We, the supposed leader of the Democracy Loving Countries of the world have had, for years now, one of the lowest turn out rates for elections amongst countries that even allow voting.

It has been said that sometimes a people get exactly the type of Government it deserves. I hold that adage as proven true in our case. WE are at fault here, no one else. It's OUR Government, not the President's, or the Congress', OURS.

There are those who say they are looking for a Leader. Crap. We don't need a leader, we need a direction. Take one..... you don't have to lead, just push, hard.

Lastly, in a point of pure irony: We sit here and gripe about Congress. "It's the lowest ratings ever" we are told. Then, would somebody PLEASE tell me why, oh why, would a party offer, as leading contenders for the job of President, members of this same low performing august body? ....and actually believe that they can better run the Country than they can represent their State, and by inferrence, the people. Shocked Confused

Halfback
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:04 pm
Halfback wrote:
1) Congress generally deadlocked, particularly when it comes to Dems vs Reps agenda. Nothing new.

It wasnt for the past six years, when the Republicans had a majority in the House as well as the Presidency, and for five of the six years a majority in the Senate as well.

With a President who wouldnt wield a single veto, a Congress that nodded and smiled while the President accorded himself the right of "signing statements", and a largely toothless Democratic opposition, the Republicans enjoyed across-the-board power to push through any legislation they damn well pleased.

The results were far-reaching, from a foolhardy rush into war in Iraq to large tax cuts overwhelmingly biased towards the richest to an escalation in pork spending.

In light of such radical policies, passed with such little resistance, "steamrolling" seems a perfectly reasonable word. It's not got to do with partisan preference. I'd say it'd be perfectly reasonable to say that FDR steamrolled his New Deal reforms through as well, and I still think those were the best thing that happened to the US in the last century. But they, too, amounted to a radical and large-scale transformation of politics, with a deep impact on society. Bush's rule has had the same kind of deep impact, even if hopefully it will be more temporary. "Steamroller" is merely descriptive here.

Halfback wrote:
5) Why is it the "Republican" media when they say something that the Dems don't like and the "Democratic" media when the reverse is true. Pure hype, either way.

Instinctually I empathise with your "pox on both their houses" shtick. It's pleasing to the temperament: it allows one to paper over any of the divisions between ordinary citizens, and to then collectively feel indignant/superior to those good for nothing politicians. But I think its naive. Sometimes there is a real difference. Sometimes there is no equivalence. There is no equivalence between CNN and Fox News. There is no equivalence between the New York Times and Rush Limbaugh-type talk radio. All the media may say things you dont like, but there is a qualitative difference between the rabid partisan agression of Fox and Rush and the superficial he said, she said journalism of CNN and the like.

I have not commented on your posts before, but this is where I have a real issue with them. You seem to pretend that anyone who comes out clearly on one side of the debate must just be following partisan talking points, and that if we would just all cut the partisan crap, things would be so much better. But what that ignores, IMO, there are real, substantive and drastic choices of principle before us here.

When you're talking of questions like whether there should be universal access to health insurance or whether it should be wholly left up to the market, whether privatising social security is an irresponsible sell-out to the stock market or a return of power to the individual, whether any use of torture violates the very principles of American society or "enhanced interrogation techniques" are not just necessary but only justified, whether the government should set and control strict environmental protection regulations or staff the EPA with industry-friendly officials who all but abandon the policing effort, whether you have enforcement and expansion of the right of employees to unionise or try to cut down any such opportunity -- these are real, substantive, and fundamentally ideological questions of principle.

Questions like that, you dont solve them with a nebulous "lets all of us tax payers just get together and do something about this" stance. You dont settle them with a call for bipartisan spirit. They are real choices, and where we as individuals stand on them says something significant about how we see the world, and how we see ourselves. There's not some kind of popular consensus outside the Beltway either, where ordinary people like you or your neighbour would all agree - on immigration, for example, you'll find that a lot of people you're now telling, "Waddaya say, gang? You gonna be part of the potential solution?", would propose the opposite of what you would want.

What the Bush administrations have done, much like the Reagan, FDR, and arguably LBJ administrations did before, is raise fundamental questions of principle about what kind of country you want to live in. Thats very much not "business as usual". It's not all the same, like, Reps, Dems, libs and cons, they'll all screw you over anyway -- there are real choices at hand here, and there will be real disagreements. And when people here say, I think the Republicans have been disastrous and I want the Dems to get the power to do the opposite, it mustnt just be that they're partisan foils - it's more likely a question of real, sincere passionate conviction, based on deeply held personal principles.

Halfback wrote:
Lastly, in a point of pure irony: We sit here and gripe about Congress. "It's the lowest ratings ever" we are told. Then, would somebody PLEASE tell me why, oh why, would a party offer, as leading contenders for the job of President, members of this same low performing august body?

Because they're not all the same. You can hardly blame Senator Obama, for example, who's been in the Senate for just one term and who's always voiced clear opposition against all those policies Bush and the Republicans were pushing through before, for the state of the nation today. He and other Dems like him hardly represent the status quo.

The Dems have not had the chance to push through their own policies, and when they will have one, those will look a whole lot different from what you've seen in 2000-2006. And people know it too - just look at my last post here about the polls - voters have a low impression of Congress, but also a pretty good idea of how different the two parties in it are, and whose politics it is specifically that mark the status quo.

Meanwhile, I'm not just griping - to all of the below I say, right on!, and spread the word.

Halfback wrote:
If enough of us do it, and pass that on to Congresspersons, I submit that it is NOT useless. [..]

I have e-mailed, written, got editorials published in the local papers. You might contend that it is useless, but I contend that if enough of us poor, dumb taxpayers/voters out here do the same, then it might just happen that [they] listen to us. [..]

OK. One further, if you can't bring yourself to do anything else, VOTE! We, the supposed leader of the Democracy Loving Countries of the world have had, for years now, one of the lowest turn out rates for elections amongst countries that even allow voting.

It has been said that sometimes a people get exactly the type of Government it deserves. I hold that adage as proven true in our case. WE are at fault here, no one else. It's OUR Government, not the President's, or the Congress', OURS.

[..] Crap. We don't need a leader, we need a direction. Take one..... you don't have to lead, just push, hard.

More power to ya! :-)
0 Replies