Wedding Anniversaries, Silver and Otherwise

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:32 pm
August 31st will by our silver anniversary. I am ashamed to tell you, I have never done anything really romantic or endearing for most of the last 24. I'm an old poot, I guess. This year I want to do something more. I thought that those of you who are happily married might wish to share some of your own anniversaries with us. Perhaps I will become inspired by some of it. At any rate, it should be a good thread if there are many of you out there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,268 • Replies: 34
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
Oh, interesting! I got a card in the mail today and was extremely confused. It took me a full minute after reading "Happy Anniversary" that I remembered ours is on Sunday. Completely slipped my mind. Shocked (7 years.)

We basically never "do" anything. We were together for 4 years before we were married, almost to the day (met early July 1992), and so July is always kind of generally "wow it's been X years this month" without specifying anniversary. We have a nice reminiscent talk and there may be flowers involved, but not a Big Deal.

Silver anniversary is impressive!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:44 pm
In our case, we were married close to a week before moving in together. It just interfered with our jobs too much. My wife was, and still, is well worth waiting for.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:50 pm
Best present I ever received was a card offering me my "dream trip." I could go alone or with him, wherever I wanted. I took him and our son to Italy for 16 days, stayed at 4 & 5 star hotels all the way. It wouldn't have been a dream trip without my boys.

Also liked the ten days on the island of St. John for our 10th anniversary.

Can you tell I like travel? Smile

My husband says the best gift I ever gave him was engraving our wedding anniversary date inside his wedding band. (Had to talk him into giving it to me for a week.)

You could take her on a "mystery date." Blindfold her and take her to the jewelers. Go there earlier yourself and ask the jeweler to help you select three special pieces in your price range: a ring, a bracelet, and a necklace or pendant. Then when you get there, have the jeweler bring them out for her to choose her favorite.

Okay, I will stop now. Others should have a turn...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:53 pm
I am giving her a ring. The people said after I give it to her I could bring her in to exchange it if she wants.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 09:57 pm
Very nice, edgar. She will love that. But if she is at all sentimental, she won't exchange it. She'll want the one you picked out for her.

If the family isn't planning a party, a nice private catered dinner with champagne would be a nice way to cap off the day.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY IN ADVANCE!
(I am taking notes here myself. We just celebrated our 20th, so we've only got five years to go.)
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 12:44 am
Happy Anniversary, Edgar! A ring is a wonderful gift, and judging by the thought you're obviously putting into this occasion, I'd be willing to bet that you'll end up with an incredibly romantic evening no matter what you do.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 01:21 am
Congrats to you and your sweetie pie Edgar :-) A ring is always a wonderful gift for sure, so you're off to a good start. I also like Eva's idea of the catered romantic dinner for two. I know I'd love that. You could give her the ring right after you pour the champagne and make a toast telling her how much she has meant to you all these years. We women love that romantic stuff ;-) You could also top it off with exactly 25 roses, one for each year that you've been married. She would absolutely melt I promise you that :-D This is so exciting :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 04:53 am
I don't dare make too detailed a plan. I can tell by certain furtive little actions by my oldest and youngest daughters that they have something already in the works. I wouldn't want to spoil their "surprise" too much.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 05:35 am
Congrats in advance! I recall for my folks' silver anniversary we had a nice dinner with their syblings and syblings' children. Everyone gave something - we (my brother and I) gave them silver salt and pepper shakers with their initial on them (these were antique shakers - I was thrilled to find 'em with their surname's initial). Can't recall what other people gave but it wasn't so much the gifts as it was the being together. I know my mother still brings out the 'shakers on special occasions - and this silver anniversary was nearly 23 years ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 06:17 am
So, jespah, they are almost ready to go for the gold. Great story.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 06:22 am
Yep, wow, it'll be in '05. I guess salt and pepper shakers are out as a gift. Hmmm.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 07:44 am
I do like the traditionalist slant -- get her something silver.

The 25 roses is a nice idea.

(Wow, Eva!)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
Good ideas.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 06:47 pm
Silver is the 25th??? We didn't get any silver. Mr. P gave me a ruby ring with 24 diamonds -- 25 stones altogether -- and a poem that explained how the two tiny bubbles in the ruby were like the two of us, held in time. Maybe you had to be there - it was lovely for me. We'd gone to Tucson and southern AZ for a few days and I thought the TRIP was the gift. Had a great time -- our anniversary is in February so it was nice to snowbird a bit.

I have a friend whose husband gave her a Silverado truck for their 25th. She LOVED it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 06:51 pm
I think it is in the long run what we make it on our own. If everybody's happy, why quibble?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:55 am
Today's the anniversary. Last night came the festivities. Turns out my boss and youngest daughter conspired to rent a place where weddings are often held and invited friends and relatives. I bought a toaster from Walmart and put the beautifully wrapped ring in the box with it. When my wife opened the package she did not act overly thrilled to recieve a toaster from her husband, particularly before a large gathering. I had to pull the toaster from the box to reveal the ring before she caught on. It proved to be the perfect gift. It was a beautiful gathering beneath the open pavilian, with the gentle rain from the Gulf outside and the small kids playing in as we listened to music, talked, ate, drank, and danced a few steps. Turned out good.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:37 am
Congratulations edgar....it sounds like you had a wonderful time.......25 years is quite an accomplishment and you should feel blessed and proud.......... Very Happy

PS I myself have been married since 1967....but don't get teary eyed on me....that's to 4 different wives Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:36 am
This is my second. First time she crossed me, I said, "That's one -"
Not actually. We are not perfect, but we allow each their space and it works quite well for us.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:47 am
That's funny, edgar. After 25 years, how many crosses has she totaled up?
It sounds like your anniversary party was wonderful. My heartiest congratulations to the both of you!
0 Replies