Horror has struck, way too close to home.

happycat

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:00 am
This is such a horrific story. I'm so very sorry for your friend's loss.

I'm so sorry that this kind of thing happens at all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:40 am
So awful.

Glad that the one child is well on the way to recovery, at least.

<sigh>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:53 am
I am so sorry, O'Bill. Why is it that Florida seems to be the place where sickness finds its home? (Born and raised there and had my fair share of run-ins with sickness.) I wish there was something I could say but it's just so so horrifying and sad. Sad, sad, sad. I'm sorry.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:56 am
I'm so sorry for you and the other people involved in this tragedy.

As an aside, this sounds more like depression to me; psychopaths don't commit suicide after their crimes. Suicidal men have a tendency to take out their families, loved ones, etc. when they decide to take their own lives.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:57 am
Correction: I thought I read in the first post that this happened in Florida, my bad. I see now from reading the article that it wasn't.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:04 am
Sorry, Bill. I'd missed this thread until now. I can only guess how deeply this is affecting you, but your friend will appreciate that you're there for him. Best wishes and safe travels to you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:06 am
I only just read the story -- Delavan! That's where I did my student teaching, I know a lot of people there.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:12 pm
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that Bill. I had heard that on the news and was amazed and relieved when I heard the girl was doing better. My sympathy to you and your friend.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
sozobe wrote:
I only just read the story -- Delavan! That's where I did my student teaching, I know a lot of people there.
The comunity has been outstanding, charity-wise. Everywhere you go there are Help-Boxes and what not to add to the funds begun at the local banks. The area restaurants donated a pretty decent buffet for after the services today. A Chicago Brokerage firm made a 5 figure donation that should go a long way towards burial and hospital expenses. The who's who of the town's government paid their respects in person as well. At the rate the charities are going, the amazing baby Jasmine shouldn't have to worry about college tuition. She's been released from the hospital and is in good shape.

The Press deserves an ass-kicking... and I very nearly got an opportunity to deliver one today. Two of the bastards tried to sneak into the viewing, but Steve fingered them as being among the A-holes that have been hanging around his house (WTMJ); and asked me to remove them. They complied without resistance. A-holes.

I did get a chance to reminisce with old friends that are not so near but very dear to me and that was nice and interesting. It's time to catch up on sleep. Turned out, my Aunt returned to Florida Thursday, with my cousin and her kids in tow. I rarely get to see them, so needless to say a few hours were spent there as well. So, It wound up being 40+ hour day, finishing with a 24 hour drive, and the 3 hours sleep I earned by driving straight through were plenty to get me through the day; but I'm taking tonight off.

Thanks for all the kind words you guys.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:48 pm
I haven't responded before, because I don't know what to say in these situations. But, I've been reading, and I sympathize.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 10:52 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I haven't responded before, because I don't know what to say in these situations. But, I've been reading, and I sympathize.
I like the way you worded your post. Sometimes it isn't what you say imo, it is letting someone know you care. Which is what you did.

OCCOM BILL thanks for the update and it is nice to know you made it home safe.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:21 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Thank you, Edgar. You are a kind man. My first conversation with my friend in years started almost the same way. Someone started a thread about what to say during tragic times... and that is probably the best answer; Something. A little uncomfortable silence was followed by him opening up and saying the honest, unfiltered truth of what he was feeling and that's all a guy can hope for anyway; is to provide an ear for someone that probably just needs to feel someone who cares is listening. I don't think the "right thing to say" exists... and strongly suspect the right thing is simply whatever makes it clear that someone who cares is willing to listen. I do hope my friend will join A2K and get to know you fine, caring, people.

TTH wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I like the way you worded your post. Sometimes it isn't what you say imo, it is letting someone know you care. Which is what you did.

OCCOM BILL thanks for the update and it is nice to know you made it home safe.
See, TTH said it more concisely than I did... and thanks Darlin... No worries; I am now surrounded by people who care about me (my sister and her family are the coolest people on planet Earth).
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:39 am
OCCOM BILL I am glad you made it home safe and have family that care.
Also, thank you for helping me when I needed it.
Oh, you called me darlin Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies