And there he was, like disco lemonade...

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:52 am
You are one lucky woman Boomerang. I think I'm lucky too. My husband does not think he's attractive so he doesn't consciously flirt. (I think he's gorgeous.) He does however have a way about him that can lift someone else's spirits. The first time I saw this in action we were just dating and he'd stopped to put gas in the car at a self-serve place. I was watching an unfolding drama inside the gas station while he had his back to it pumping gas. The woman inside was having a heated discussion with some guy (probably her boss) and trying to hang really ratty looking Christmas decorations in the window and seriously scowling. When my husband went in to pay he was chatting away and then I saw him pointing to the "Season's Greetings" in the window that had gotten twisted and some of the letters were upside down. Anyway by the time he got back to the car the woman inside was laughing out loud and had a big smile on her face. I said, "You just made her day." He had no idea what I was talking about. This woman was not young or especially attractive, he just reached out and made her smile. He does this all the time without thinking about it.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:19 pm
Boomer and Tai Chai, the three of us are in good company.

Dys can sit down in a restaurant and sometimes the waitress will instinctively want to take care of him (if she isn't turned off by long hair and a cowboy hat)--he sort of brings out the maternal nurturer in women--me too. We both flirt, but like both of you, our relationship is built on complete trust. Personally, I love to see these women turn to mush when they start talking with him.

Flirting can refresh and compliment and bring out the feminine, causing a glow that only comes along once in a while and that I happen to treasure. It is really good to be reminded that you are a woman, no matter how old you are.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
It's always harmless, as long as nothing happens.

And as long as your intentions are just flirting. And you both know it.

Becuase the best laid plans of mice and men, oft go awry. And you should never put yourself in a position where you might submit to temptation.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:47 pm
Just wait 'til the first time you're out alone post-baby, Bella, and some construction worker whistles at you. It'll make your day. (How well I remember...those were the days...)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:48 pm
Good point, Bella Dea. It would also be unfair to lead on someone who isn't aware of the ground rules.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 02:08 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Just wait 'til the first time you're out alone post-baby, Bella, and some construction worker whistles at you. It'll make your day. (How well I remember...those were the days...)

That makes me feel good now!

It's always nice to be appreciated by someone.

As long as they aren't all nasty and creepy about it.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:22 pm
I remember a joke about that:

A very pretty woman, about 7 months pregnant, was walking down the street. Half a block away were two sailors who whisltled at her. When she turned around to see who was whistling, the sailors said, "Oh pardon, maam, we thought you were alone."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:40 pm
Well, boomer, when you sing with a band, harmless flirting is required. Then you go home and get to sleep with the bass man.

Diane, that is weird, because a friend of mine and I were walking down the street going to see a movie. There was a convention in town. She was seven months pregnant and I was around three. These two guys, obviously a bit drunk, started following us and making remarks.

I finally turned and said, "Hey, fellows. You don't want to be fooling around with two married and pregnant women, do you?"

Their reply was, " Sure we do. That's the safest kind."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 04:24 pm
I'm an entertainer and spend a great deal of my time around people who are drinking. I get flirted with and propositioned all the time. It goes in one ear and out the other and I come home.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:18 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, boomer, when you sing with a band, harmless flirting is required. Then you go home and get to sleep with the bass man.

"

I got a good laugh out of that!

And Bear's comment too.

Musicians have it hard in the flirt department because I doubt anyone gets flirted with as much. It must have something to do with putting yourself out there artistically. You have to be a little bit of a show-off. People are drawn to that kind of confidence.

I'm glad to know I'm in good company with women who don't mind seeing their mate flirt. There is something kind of nice in knowing that other people see what makes your mate so special.

I think flirting need not be sexually based. You can be attracted to someone and not want to have sex with them. There are some people that you just have a verbal chemistry with and that can make someone very attractive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:34 pm
Bartenders get that, too. Only it is usually not just flirting, it is often getting hit on, big time. I think it is because your job makes you the center of attention for everyone in the room--not unlike the club band.

It can get ugly--when more than one woman is hitting on you, and you work 'til two or three a.m., you are tired and don't fell like dealing with it. Yet they expect you to let them stay after hours, while they are getting drunker and drunker, and, frankly, less and less attractive. I would do all i could to discourage it, without being rude, but they inevitably get pissed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:41 pm
Totally!

Add in the fact that you're held captive by a time clock and it can be absolute misery. People know when and where to find you.

I was lucky that I worked in a place with a regular group of customers. I started working in clubs when I was 15 so it could get.... er.... weird sometimes. The regulars took care of anyone who got a little too persistent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:44 pm
I was the manager, so i had to be there 'til close--couldn't get anyone to sub or cover for me. Of course, i could leave the sh*t work to someone else. But really, i mean, you could be Miss America, and if you've spent the last four hours gettin' sh*tfaced, ask yourself how attractive you are by closin' time.

Come on Honey, lift your chin . . . you were droolin' on the bar while you were passed out, and i need to wipe that up . . . Thanks, Darlin' . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 07:57 pm
let the flirting commence :wink:

i'm back, well sort of, one mini crash

maybe time for a retirement of the old beast, the pc, not me
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:10 pm
Speak of disco lemonade look what you find to squeeze!

Welcome back djjd.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:41 pm
Oh goodie, they're up to sqeezing!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 09:18 pm
Don't you squeeze my leg, don't you squeeze my leg
Cause when you squeeze my leg your going to squeeze my thigh
And if you squeeze my thigh your going to tell a lie
So don't you squeeze my leg

Don't you drink that wine, don't you drink that wine
Cause when you drink that wine you'll try and change my mind
And if you change my mind you'll squeeze my fine behind,
So don't you squeeze my leg.

That's all I can remember but it seemed like an appropriate song.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:38 pm
Encore, Encore--wonnerful, wonnerful.

Dontcha just love sqeezing?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:45 pm
Of course I've gotta vote for the cherry pie. Doubled.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 06:49 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm an entertainer and spend a great deal of my time around people who are drinking. I get flirted with and propositioned all the time. It goes in one ear and out the other and I come home.

uH, bEAR, yOU dON'T pUT iT iN tHEIR eAR.

Joe(I have the hic-cups)Nation
0 Replies