Best Friend turning into lover??

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:28 pm
Exclamation

I think I'm playing a very dangerous game with a good friend of mine. He and I have been friends for the past 12 years...we met when I was recording music and he had a studio. He was with a woman at the time, who is now his wife. I am single. For all of these years our relationship has been strictly platonic-we've never even seen each other as sexual beings. We didn't even start hugging each other hello and goodbye until last year!! (Three years ago I moved out of town...I'm not even driving distance away from home.) Our relationship was as straight as a board.

For the past year we've been talking more frequently on the phone. And in the past few months it has escalated to at least 3-4 nights a week. But suddenly-and I truly cannot tell you what has triggered it-we've been talking more and more about sex. We'd text message each other during the day about fantasies and people we'd see in the street and what we'd like to do to those people; at night, we're on the phone for about 2 hours while he's walking his dog in the park. Here's the weird part-first it was what we wanted to do with other people, now it's up to what we want to do with each other. And we've started sending pix of each other...I don't even know how this happened!!

Today, I told him flat out that I didn't think it was a good idea to continue these conversations because he's married, and even though I'm too far away for anything to physically happen the situation can still get dangerous. He told me he's thought a lot about it and he's OK with it, that it was something new and that for now he's just enjoying the ride. Before we got off the phone tonight he asked me if I was back home would it go any further than talking. I told him that I didn't know. He told me that he wouldn't be able to contain himself...He's never cheated on his wife before and I don't want him to start now. And, to my understanding, he's very conservative when it comes to sex whereas I, WITH THE RIGHT PERSON & TO WHOM I AM COMMITED, am a little more liberal (although you will NEVER see me on "Girls Gone Wild"). So when I was talking about my past experiences with my past boyfriends, they were new to him, and that's where he's finding some extra spice. There is a part of this that is exciting for me too-although all of it is wrong.

I already know I should leave it alone and let things cool down for a while. But I probably won't do that just yet. But does this make me a slut? I don't want him to leave his wife for me. I'm not even sure if I would have sex with him if I did go back home for a visit...but is having phone sex with him that much of a bad thing? I'm really trying to encourage him to try some things with his wife...he says he's tried and she's not into it (she has a bad past in that area-let's leave it at that) so he's probably just looking for some "harmless fun" (although I see where this can get extremely harmful). He says he feels safe to explore with me, and I would be to, if he were not married. I have NEVER EVER been with a maried man before. I do know I deserve more, but until I find him, is there anything wrong with a little long-distance phone sex with an old friend?? Am I the homewrecking slut or are we just 2 good friends having a little fun that will probably pass after a while???

Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:44 pm
I'm not going to judge you on any moral grounds as that's a fool's game!

I will say however that if the two of you can garner more pleasure than the harm done then it may be worth it, but if the you two cannot garner more pleasure than the harm done, then it may not be worth it. Only the two of you can subjectively qualify the pleasure as opposed to harm, and even at that, likely only hindsight will give adequate perspective.

I will also say however that certain paths to romance are more problematic than others, and a long distance love affair with a married man, well there are automatically certain complications! What you are describing however is extremely common, been there myself a time or two.

Welcome to the club (figuratively and literally).
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
Here's the thing, you don't want him to leave his wife for you. That makes perfect sense to me(I know!) But what I can see happening here is something that feels great in the moment escalating into deep feelings. Then what do you do? Well obviously it will have to end at some point because he is not good for you in the long run. I'm sure the sex would be great and exciting but then what will the two of you have when it's over?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:36 am
I think you are right that this is a dangerous game you two are playing. Think about this... you went from being friends... to talking about sex with others... to talking about sex with each other... It's already growing just by the two of you talking about things. If you continue talking in this manner it will continue to grow.

At this point it's merely fantasy for both of you, which IS exciting. However, what does happen when fantasy becomes reality? His wife is not in the fantasy... but honey... she is in the reality. Do you know what I mean? It sounds as though he's bored in his relationship with his wife and seeking his excitement elsewhere. Which is natural, I think. But by going down this road with him you are risking losing him as a friend eventually.

I don't think you are a home wrecking slut just because you are finding pleasure and excitement in talking to someone about sex, regardless of their marital status. The potential problem though is the fact that he's married and that what he does directly or indirectly effects his relationship with her. If he starts finding more pleasure in this fantasy it is quite possible he will start withdrawing from her without even realizing it if he hasn't already.

It sounds to me like that's not what you want to happen, right? Either way you choose the decision is going to be difficult because of the point it's come to right now. It sounds to me like you need to be the strong one here no matter what decision you make. Choose carefully kissn, and remember you two aren't the only two effected by the outcome of this game.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:13 am
Re: Best Friend turning into lover??
KissnSweet wrote:
Exclamation

But suddenly-and I truly cannot tell you what has triggered it-we've been talking more and more about sex...

And we've started sending pix of each other...I don't even know how this happened!!... Question

First and foremost, take responsibility for your own actions. If you two do end up screwing, don't act as if you don't know how your panties came down.

I find that putting the shoe on the other foot has a way of bringing things into clear focus. Plain and simple, how would you feel if your husband was having phone sex with another woman?
0 Replies

KissnSweet

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:06 pm
I know you're right...
Treya wrote:
I think you are right that this is a dangerous game you two are playing. Think about this... you went from being friends... to talking about sex with others... to talking about sex with each other... It's already growing just by the two of you talking about things. If you continue talking in this manner it will continue to grow.

At this point it's merely fantasy for both of you, which IS exciting. However, what does happen when fantasy becomes reality? His wife is not in the fantasy... but honey... she is in the reality. Do you know what I mean? It sounds as though he's bored in his relationship with his wife and seeking his excitement elsewhere. Which is natural, I think. But by going down this road with him you are risking losing him as a friend eventually.

I don't think you are a home wrecking slut just because you are finding pleasure and excitement in talking to someone about sex, regardless of their marital status. The potential problem though is the fact that he's married and that what he does directly or indirectly effects his relationship with her. If he starts finding more pleasure in this fantasy it is quite possible he will start withdrawing from her without even realizing it if he hasn't already.

It sounds to me like that's not what you want to happen, right? Either way you choose the decision is going to be difficult because of the point it's come to right now. It sounds to me like you need to be the strong one here no matter what decision you make. Choose carefully kissn, and remember you two aren't the only two effected by the outcome of this game.

You're right. I know you're right. It may cool off naturally after a while anyway with me being so far away from him...we're almost 900 miles apart...I think it would be severely different if i was back home. But with this amount of distance nothing can happen!

We talked earlier today (in fact he's getting ready to call me soon enough). I told him earlier that I did feel guilty about all of this and that if his wife found out she would be devastated. I explained that I've been on the receiving end of a straying man and I know exactly how that feels. I continued by stating that I am his friend first and foremost and I can't just let this happen and not state my reservations; then I ended my piece by stating that if she did find out, guaranteed, he would lose one of us.

He thought about it for a while, then said to me that, for now, he just wants to enjoy himself, and although he's covering his tracks if something were to leak he would take the consequences as they'd come. To me that sounds like a man who has already started to pull away from his wife. But I don't want that to happen. I think it had started months ago, but I want them to fix their problems.

I don't want his marriage to end over this, and I don't want to lose him as a friend. I know what I must do...sigh...although it is exciing...

However...I do think he has started to have feelings for me...and that's a problem....
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:19 pm
If his marriage is fading out, it will extinguish with you or without you, it's not going to make any real difference.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:47 pm
Re: I know you're right...
KissnSweet wrote:
Treya wrote:

You're right. I know you're right. It may cool off naturally after a while anyway with me being so far away from him...we're almost 900 miles apart...I think it would be severely different if i was back home. But with this amount of distance nothing can happen!

We talked earlier today (in fact he's getting ready to call me soon enough). I told him earlier that I did feel guilty about all of this and that if his wife found out she would be devastated. I explained that I've been on the receiving end of a straying man and I know exactly how that feels. I continued by stating that I am his friend first and foremost and I can't just let this happen and not state my reservations; then I ended my piece by stating that if she did find out, guaranteed, he would lose one of us.

He thought about it for a while, then said to me that, for now, he just wants to enjoy himself, and although he's covering his tracks if something were to leak he would take the consequences as they'd come. To me that sounds like a man who has already started to pull away from his wife. But I don't want that to happen. I think it had started months ago, but I want them to fix their problems.

I don't want his marriage to end over this, and I don't want to lose him as a friend. I know what I must do...sigh...although it is exciing...

However...I do think he has started to have feelings for me...and that's a problem....

My first instinct says to pull away now. Right now. Just from his response to your talk with him he's showing no remorse for his actions even. He's just "enjoying himself" not only at his wifes unknowing expense, but at yours as well. Don't blame yourself if his marriage ends. If he hadn't potentially been looking for a way out he probably wouldn't have gone down that road with you in the first place. You had no responsibility in his choice to do that. It even sounds like a choice he may have made before this started.

You said you think their problems started months ago... that's before all this happened with you right? Think about this... if he didn't try to fix the problems from the get go why is he suddenly going to change his mind now when he's got a "fantasy" girl he can talk to when ever he wants? What's the motivation for him to even want to fix anything? He's got the best of both worlds right now. If he really is your "friend" he will respect your decision to not continue on with this kind of thing with him and not pressure you to continue.

Just think about the bigger picture here. Not just the here and now. Not just what "could" be. Or even just what was. Think about it as a whole. I really think you could be the one getting ripped off here... ending up hurt in the end. I sure would hate to see that happen.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:07 pm
You should fly out and have sex with him. Make them fantasies happen! Just an alternative opinion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:12 pm
Just remember one thing: what he's doing to his wife, he will eventually do to you when he finds somebody more atttractive.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:26 pm
Chumly wrote:
If his marriage is fading out, it will extinguish with you or without you, it's not going to make any real difference.

That's the dumbest advice I've ever heard. It's like saying, "The house is gonna burn down whether you're in it or not, so it doesn't make any real difference."

Of COURSE it makes a difference. You will get burned.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:16 am
KissnSweet, if you feel uncomfortable about being a factor in his infidelity than it may be a moral issue for you. But other than that, I don't think it matters. There's no harm in having some fun with an old friend! I think the real issue that you should be considering is, is it worth losing your old friend? Because if things between you did become serious, he would be forced to make a choice: you, or wife. And if he chooses wife, that means he won't be able to have you as a friend anymore.
0 Replies

KissnSweet

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:36 pm
stuh505 wrote:
KissnSweet, if you feel uncomfortable about being a factor in his infidelity than it may be a moral issue for you. But other than that, I don't think it matters. There's no harm in having some fun with an old friend! I think the real issue that you should be considering is, is it worth losing your old friend? Because if things between you did become serious, he would be forced to make a choice: you, or wife. And if he chooses wife, that means he won't be able to have you as a friend anymore.

We did discuss this entire situation in depth, starting from the time he met his wife to the time he met me, and all the way to tie into what's currently happening. Neither one of us wants to lose our 12-year friendship, and I definitely don't want him to get a divorce or anything like that. So I think for as long as I stay away from home then this thing may die down naturally, as all things do.

He and I talk more about what's happening in our hearts & minds more so than we talk about sex, and the both of us are totally confused as to how two people who has never seen each other in those terms for over a decade can suddenly reach this point. We talk about that more than anything, trying to make sense of it. But the more we talk, the more things are revealed, and the more confused we get.

There's a lot of "excuses" as to how and why this scenario has reached the point that it has, and I know there's a lot of people in the Community who probably see me as "just another homewrecker" or a selfish chick or something like that. But that's not the case at all. It may just be that we're both catching each other at vulnerable times (he's been having serious problems at home for months and I just lost my mom last year). Over the years we've always been able to turn to each other to vent or work problems out or bounce ideas off of or create music together or whatever without any problems or sexual inuendos. Maybe we just might be falling into the age-old vulnerability trap. At the base of it all, we may be hurting, stressed and angry, and we're trying to find something in this world that would bring us just 32 degrees of joy, even if it is temporary. And I figure if I stay where I am, we can't give in to anything more than our phone conversations and maybe we'll be able to just let it go after a while.

But the left side of my brain - and about 1/3 of the right - tells me to pull the plug before we get in too deep...that would be the right thing to do. And at the end of the day I have to be proud of who I see in the mirror.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:44 pm
KissnSweet wrote:
And at the end of the day I have to be proud of who I see in the mirror.

That's the bottom line. Too many sell their self worth for what? A roll with someone else's man? It's just not worth it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:22 pm
Eva wrote:
Chumly wrote:

That's the dumbest advice I've ever heard. It's like saying, "The house is gonna burn down whether you're in it or not, so it doesn't make any real difference."

"it's not going to make any real difference" to the fact that "if his marriage is fading out it will extinguish with you or without you". Thus the net result is the same "with you or without you", that being an extinguished marriage.

It's not so called "advice" let alone "the dumbest advice I've ever heard" (sic) it's fact as written.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:22 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Just remember one thing: what he's doing to his wife, he will eventually do to you when he finds somebody more atttractive.

Not if she keeps herself young, fit, trim and beautiful...on second thought, you're right CI!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:36 am
I think that deep down you want things to go farther but you are trying to paint yourself in the best light possible. (Something we all do at times)

You keep saying you don't want to come between him and his wife, yet you keep talking about sex with him and what the two of you would like to do with each other. Of course you qualify that by saying "if you could" or "if you weren't married." This is a game you are playing and I think if you look deep enough, you would quickly jump in the sack with him if you could.

You say you had an experience with a straying guy yourself. So how did you feel about that? Do you really want to be the "other woman" to someone else? If not, do the right thing and stop the flirting and sex talk. Just stop it. You have the power to do so. If he starts up with it, tell him you will hang up and then do so if he won't stop.

In this humble clown's opinion, there is only one thing worse than a person who plays this type of game while married, and that is the person who plays the game with someone they know is married. Don't do this to yourself. You are only asking for trouble.

And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:20 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

Not necessarily. Remember, they have been friends for many years. It sounds to me like our girl is comfort for him, like a familiar easy chair after a hard days' work and he's running to her to get away from the stress of his marriage. He doesn't sound like a bad guy. Just an unhappy one. But he should find happiness elsewhere before ******* up both his marriage and his valued friendship.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:51 am
Chumly wrote:
Eva wrote:
Chumly wrote:

"it's not going to make any real difference" to the fact that "if his marriage is fading out it will extinguish with you or without you". Thus the net result is the same "with you or without you", that being an extinguished marriage.

It's not so called "advice" let alone "the dumbest advice I've ever heard" (sic) it's fact as written.

I realize my response wasn't the most diplomatic thing I've ever written Embarrassed , Chumly, and I apologize to you for that.

I know what you're trying to say, and you may well be right. But it's a very one-sided view. You're just looking at the marriage, while the rest of us are looking at KissnSweet's involvement as well as the hurt it will cause the guy's family. Those things have to be factored into your "net result."

The thing is, infidelity is NEVER EVER one-sided. That's exactly what gets so many people in trouble...forgetting to calculate what all the reactions will be. The emotions are so intense they don't see past themselves. And it's so easy to rationalize when they blame it on a bad marriage instead of taking responsibility for their actions.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:02 am
KissnSweet wrote:
But the left side of my brain - and about 1/3 of the right - tells me to pull the plug before we get in too deep...that would be the right thing to do. And at the end of the day I have to be proud of who I see in the mirror.

YES! You're a girl after my own heart, KnS. Keep that mirror front and center and you'll be just fine.
0 Replies