Do Cacti Have Something In the Spines....

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 09:42 am
....like a poison or toxin or something?

The reason I ask is because I have a cactus and one day, Zoe was playing and almost knocked it over. Without thinking, I grabbed at it and stabbed myself pretty good in the finger.

There wasn't anything left of the picker in my finger yet my finger hurt for 2-3 weeks after the initial stabbing. Now, the skin where I injured it is white and funny looking....almost like an old burn.

Just wondering if I am losing it or if my cactus has some sort of magical powers......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,185 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:05 am
I bet the tiny tip was left imbedded in there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:07 am
Edgar may be right. Also, some cacti do have irritants in their spines.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:29 am
Also, if there were some bacteria on your finger, the spine going into your finger may have taken the germs along with them.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:04 pm
I think most cactus spines are like porcupine quills - not toxic, but barbed. Some of these microscopic barbs will remain in the skin when the spine is removed, resulting in a foreign body reaction. It heals, though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:08 pm
Most likely to be an infectious agent on the spine. like a bacteria or some such. Not an integral part of the plant just part of the general run of bacteria that are all around us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:16 pm
Speaking as an old thorn tip imbedded in fingers person, I've had granulomas form over such imbedments, and the granulomas eventually went away. <Stares at hands, trying to remember which fingers...>

It's generally good to keep up on your tetanus shots. I seem to remember the protection lasts longer than they say it does (or it used to be said so), but it's ridiculous to have let getting another tetanus shot go as long as I have. Given that you're pregnant and don't seem to have tetanus impending, I'd ask your physician on your next visit.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:07 pm
I get that even when I've handled cactus without noticeable bars. I will feel barb-like sensations in my fingers that can last for several days. Now I just don't touch the damn things
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:37 pm
Never pet a cactus. I did that once, it was a cute little thing, with an apparently furry coat. Sheesh.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:39 pm
nick, that reminded me...

Once I knocked one of thos cacti that have a million tiny spines all over it off a window sill.

As it started to fall, I instinctively put my hand out and caught it.

oh yeah, that felt good.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:28 am
CowDoc wrote:
I think most cactus spines are like porcupine quills - not toxic, but barbed. Some of these microscopic barbs will remain in the skin when the spine is removed, resulting in a foreign body reaction. It heals, though.

Ah ha!

You are probably right then (both you and edgar!).

There was probably still a piece in there that finally worked it's way out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 03:53 pm
My younger son during the summer he turned two made a habit of stripping off all his clothes--except for socks and double-knotted shoes--and falling into the prickly pear.

He survived. I'm traumatized. Prickly pear fights back.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:51 pm
Good LORD!

How many times did he do THAT?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:59 pm
Chai--

I think it was only three or four times, but extracting prickly pear spines is one of my least favorite activities. Both ends of the spine are sharp--in fact the prickly pear propagates by grabbing a furry passer-by and breaking off a chunk of cactus to be transported to a new place.

We were visiting my parents and my mother was one of the first in Colorado to experiment with landscaping with native plants.

Puncture weed is another plant with great personal defenses.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 01:13 pm
The 2nd part of the question is, WHY?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 03:36 pm
Chai--

Why?

Same sex, second sibling syndrome.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:13 pm
Your mother tried to landscape with natives in Colorado?.. Noddy, tell more.

Signed, girl with goatweed thumbs... not that goatweed is native to Colorado, I've no idea.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:42 am
Osso--

My parents moved to the Pueblo area in the early sixties. My father allowed as how he didn't want to spend more than a half an hour a week cutting grass. Both my parents were appalled by the ecological idiocy of trying to reproduce Eastern Landscaping in an area with Western Rainfall.

My mother's first stop was the public library which had no books on xeriscaping on the shelves, but ordered a batch through Interlibrary Loan. (They also added several recommended books to the permanent collection).

Second stop was the County Agricultural Agent who looked at the Crazy Eastern Woman and admitted his complete ignorance. After a half an hour of rummaging in stacks and files he said brightly, "If you find out anything, let me know. We're supposed to encourage that sort of thing."

At that time local nurseries were not helpful. My parents started cruising the unpaved back roads to locate interesting shapes of cactus and then driving up dusty, unpaved access roads to get permission from local ranchers to help themselves. Local Ranchers were all bemused by why Crazy Eastern Folks would want to plant obnoxious weeds, but westerners are tolerant people, friendly and generous. They even offered barrel cactus which even then was protected by law.

The "grandchild" strip of grass and the strawberry patch were on the other side of the native planting--hence the same sex, second sibling's access to prickly pear.

Sorry, I don't remember details, but by the time my parents moved back east in the mid-Eighties, xeriscaping was becoming generally fashionable.
0 Replies