DEAD BROTHERS . . .

Sofia

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:27 pm
I want to lick that clown paint off of your face, Ronald...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:56 am
I want to lick that. . . Oh, never mind.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:59 am
<gasp...feigning innocent shock> Embarrassed

:wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:34 am
roger

No I understand, why you couldn't get to the site! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:52 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 04:55 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Oh, and Frank, the loine about you happening to catch a glance of the photos on a desk contrasts with your claim that the photos look nothing like the brothers.

One implies a cursory glance, teh other more prolonged comparison. ;-)

I did not say it was a cursory glance. Once pictures that horrible come into one's view, it registers rather markedly.

By the way -- lots of men like to see photos of naked women with their legs spread. Should that be used as justification of publishing them in newspapers and on television?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:25 am
Frank,

It's less a justification than it is a suggestion of motivation.

The Pentagon isn't running newspapers and TV. Those who chose to air the images probably did so because of the high level of interest. I suggest their motivation for airing the imagery is related to the morbid curiosoity of the masses.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:28 am
Frank, that would certainly sell a lot more papers. The way print news media is flagging these days, they probably aren't far off from trying the nekked wimmins approach.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 05:33 am
Some newspapers and new shows on TV do or have done this.

In Brazil the largest TV newsmagazine (i.e 90% share versus the rest of the losers) used to air a quick striptease. Rolling Eyes I think they stopped a few years back.

In Japan there are some odd laws (about pubic hair) that make for even odder photographs in some publications.

Online there is the "naked news"...

I really could go on but I think you get the point. We've been there and done that.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 06:51 am
Quote:
steissd wrote:
Au1929 wrote:
IMO only a sick mind would think of doing that.

I would not say so. Of course, it is of bad taste, but we must not forget that these pictures were intended mainly for Iraqis. The rank-and-file Arabs tend to believe in myths attributing immortality to powerful rulers and their families, and this was done to destroy the myths of Uday and Qusay being alive before such a myth was born.

When I wrote that I was looking at it with western sensibilities and not the audience for whom the pictures were intended. Yes, we needed to display the pictures to convince the Iraqi's that the monsters were indeed dead. And from that which I have gleaned from interviews with Arab officials and educators they seem to agree with the display of the pictures. In fact several voiced the opinion that it was imperative to display them.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:30 am
I saw one photo in the NYTimes last night and think they are most likely the brothers. It's hard to tell from a grainy old news photos to compare with pix of of smushed faces, but nostril shapes, projection of lips, stuff like that, seemed to match. (I should note the Times showed only the faces.)
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:36 am
The problem is. Most people only know them from photographs. Pictures always are an image of reality. With different light, angle, zoom,... you can have totally different pictures.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:05 am
Iraqi Informants' Tips Grow After Brothers' Deaths
By ERIC SCHMITT
The death of Saddam Hussein's sons has prompted a stream of
informants' tips that has led to several raids in the last
24 hours alone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/26/international/worldspecial/26MILI.html?th

The killing of the brothers grim has apparently borne fruit. Just imagine how the Iraqi's would open up if saddam was done away with. Now if we could only get the electricity turned on and the water purification systems operating.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:22 am
Agree, Frolic. One has to keep in mind that we're dealing with two unreliable entities: the Pentagon and the media. Not to mention the ability of so many to doctor photographs with such ease! Still, this time I think they probably got the guys. What we can't predict, of course, is the outcome. Certainly no congratulations are due for the methodology. There are warnings coming from the rest of the Arab world that unrest is growing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 09:25 am
The administration can feign innocence in wanting the pictures spread all over the world, but you can bet they are cheering behind closed doors.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:32 pm
I love the idea of this administration thinking it can still "feign innocence." And look forward to the day when they realize the jig is up.

On a scale of jockstrap to imperial garb, what articles of clothing (if any!) do you think our emperor is left with now?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:35 pm
Tart:

A couple of pairs of socks to stuff down the front of his flightsuit.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
Meanwhile, attacks against US forces continue on a daily basis. So much for the theory that these guy would lay down their arms in grief or despair as soon as the bros. were dead...

When is Bush gonna learn to keep his lip buttoned and quit claiming a victory before it happens? You'd think he'd feel foolish about it after a while.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:29 pm
Those weren't socks -- it was an expired can of beer.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:17 pm
along with two potent "bags" of the finest Mexican reefer available.
0 Replies