DEAD BROTHERS . . .

the prince

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 02:30 am
I think sooner or later Bush will forget abt Saddam just as he forgot abt OBL.

Just a matter of time before he finds a new target !
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:02 am
I don't know if the Bush Administration has Attention Deficit Disorder or they are trying too hard to give the American media that visual it needs to present the news. (Could be both.)
First, Bush needs to find some other shiny object for FOX and the boys to hang in front of his people. In the beginning, it was the hunt for Osama bin Laden, when that stalled we got a whole year of weapons of mass destruction. When those failed to materialize, they tried the 'Look, even without WMD's, Saddam was a bad man and killed a lot of people', mass graves and happy Iraqis thing, that didn't go too well because the happy Iraqis kept killing one American soldier a day. So now the hunt is on for Saddam himself, but it won't be easy and I would have said it won't be an easy thing to drop, but I said that about the hunt for Osama bin Laden.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:26 am
Could it also be that we haven't stopped looking Osama, just that the media decided that it wasn't important anymore? We have many people still looking and hunting for Bin Laden. Just because it's not in the news every day, doesn't mean it's not happening.

I also don't think that the policy of the US Government is as simple as finding "shiny objects" for the media. They do have the best interests of the country at heart, whether everyone agrees with them or not.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:30 am
McGentrix wrote:
Could it also be that we haven't stopped looking Osama, just that the media decided that it wasn't important anymore? We have many people still looking and hunting for Bin Laden. Just because it's not in the news every day, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Right on. I'm sick of that being used for political hay. People act like the US does not have the capability to do anything more than seek more than one person.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 07:28 am
Bin Laden is still without a shadow of a doubt on the to find list. However, he has gone to ground in a vast territory with many places to hide and people who are willing to help him. The same beyond question is true for Saddam.
Regarding their apprehension it would seem reasonable if the orders were, capture if you can, kill if you must, but by all means do not let them escape. If they choose to fight rather than surrender I can hear the howls of indignation now. Murder, Assassination. So it goes some people are never satisfied.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:02 am
I think I'll say I didn't understand why everyone took such exception to McG sharing he was glad the brothers were dead. I think that's a reasonable emotion.
--------

This was my statement. I didn't want anyone to read a mischaracterization of my words, and think it was accurate.

I did not criticise people for their opinions. McG was criticised for his. And, I was criticised for mine.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:17 am
Sofia
The only opinions that are valid are those that agree with the majority Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:27 am
That was subtle, Deb, but you're quite right - capture would have been the better choice of words. At some point in time, there should be a shift in emphasis from soldiers to policeman as there is some difference in both training and stated objectives, and possibly this shift should have been made sooner. Still, when a demand for surrender is met by RPG fire, maybe the time is not yet
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:31 am
I doubt that the time will be for a very long time, Roger.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:33 am
Hope you're wrong, but I'm not making book on hopes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:23 am
Hussein is a vain meglomaniac -- I believe he will relish being a martyr and will not give up to be forced into a trial. Maybe promise him leniency for providing the information we want? Laughing

Bring em back, dead or alive.

(They went thatta way).
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:21 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I believe he will relish being a martyr and will not give up to be forced into a trial.

Lightwizard<

I tend to agree with you here about Saddam.

As for bin Laden, I think our government -- and others -- has not given up yet on finding him. He would be the biggest catch of the day.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:32 pm
Well, Mr. Hussein accept certain defeat and enormous destruction of his country in preference to providing proof of destruction of WMD. His two sons chose to resist capture, again, in the certainty of defeat and probablility of death, to avoid surrender. Saddam Hussein serving as a living martyr cannot be taken as a given.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 02:17 pm
Hitler made many of the same mistakes but he was interested in world conquest and the destruction of the Jewish race. Sadaam is a rather two-bit example of a despot if you ask me, and the more the leaders of the world and the press talk about him, the more he gets blown out of proportion to the other threats in this world of which there are many.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 02:24 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Hitler made many of the same mistakes but he was interested in world conquest and the destruction of the Jewish race. Sadaam is a rather two-bit example of a despot if you ask me, and the more the leaders of the world and the press talk about him, the more he gets blown out of proportion to the other threats in this world of which there are many.

Excellent point, LW. I think one of the negatives of what has occurred is that we have made this guy much more important then he ever deserved to be.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 02:34 pm
Inadvertently he's been put on some sort of awkwardly designed pedestal. Just another example of our our politicians are especially lousy at public relations and are good at selling ideas with the old used car kick the tire approach.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 03:43 pm
Hmmmmm - here's an idea - capture him carefully, treat him like precious porcelain, pop him on an Island - an Island of Currently Unpopular Mass Murderers and Evil Dictators - the USA wanted him before, as an ally - who knows, you may yet wish to recycle him?

The future is inscrutable....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 03:57 pm
Far out! Recycled dictators. How many languages does he speak?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:00 pm
I am sure he could learn.....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:05 am
McGentrix wrote:

Well, if media is to be belived, the hunt for OBL is not on the list of priorities right now

Recent article from the TIME magazine

Quote:
0 Replies