What should be done about speeding.

ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:25 am
Look okie,

If we were serious about enforcing the law-- we would enforce it.

It is very simple... if you speed, we take away your ability to drive on the spot, then we put you in jail, separate you from you family (hopefully in front you your crying babies) and then make sure you NEVER drive again.

Surely it would work (just look at the war on drugs, where by harsh sentencing we eliminated our drug problem).

Why don't we do this?

The liberals don't want illegal speeders to be jailed and separated from the familes (even though they brook the laws)? They say that if people can NEVER drive again they can't feed their families. Well, they broke the law--- why are you defending ILLEGALS?

If we are serious about illegal speeding, then we need to do what it takes to enforce the law without regard to how harsh the penalties or the effects on family or community.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 06:55 am
okie wrote:
ebrown, I hate to tell you, but your analogy does not work. You only further illustrate your own lack of reasoning ability.

Laughing okie brought up "reasoning ability" <snicker>
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:23 pm
So, suddenly "speeding" is equated as serious as illegally entering a country for which you have no visa or permission to enter. Plus all the other illegal stuff you may do later after being there illegally. In your minds, that is no worse than driving a car slightly over the speed limit?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:54 am
You need another poll choice. Here's mine:

We need to raise artificially low speed limits to the actual speed limit of the road design and conditions. Then we can ticket those who exceed the safe speed and leave those who have always driven safely yet over the artificially low limit to go about their business being productive citizens.

If you get my drift.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:34 am
You can't fool me. You're all just a bunch of amnesty lovers for them illegals and their egregious disregard for the traffic law.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:40 am
Thomas wrote:
You can't fool me. You're all just a bunch of amnesty lovers for them illegals and their egregious disregard for the traffic law.

Well yeah, I drive a Porsche.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:49 am
okie wrote:
So, suddenly "speeding" is equated as serious as illegally entering a country for which you have no visa or permission to enter. Plus all the other illegal stuff you may do later after being there illegally. In your minds, that is no worse than driving a car slightly over the speed limit?

Okie, what part of ILLEGAL don't you understand. They are flaunting America's laws and then they want amesty? What about the other illegal stuff speeders do after they speed?

Drug Dealers break the speed limit, Terrorists break the speed limit?

Why do you want to give amnesty to Drug Dealers and Terrorists?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Well yeah, I drive a Porsche.

More precisely, you're an illegal limousine liberal who drives a Porsche.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:03 pm
The street we live on is one-way south. Until about a year ago, it was a two-way street. But someone in the neighborhood complained to the city about speeding. The most common offenders were taxi drivers coming from the nearby subway and bus station, who were headed for the street at end of our block, which is a major east-west thoroughfare in this part of town.

So, about a year ago, the city put up the necessary signs, and built a traffic island to block the northbound lane--which a great many people just drive around.

So, now we have people who drive too fast, and drive the wrong way on a one-way street.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 04:29 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
okie wrote:

Okie, what part of ILLEGAL don't you understand. They are flaunting America's laws and then they want amesty? What about the other illegal stuff speeders do after they speed?

Drug Dealers break the speed limit, Terrorists break the speed limit?

Why do you want to give amnesty to Drug Dealers and Terrorists?

ebrown, your game is to marginalize illegal immigration. All crimes cannot be equated to all other crimes. Using your reasoning, since we give amnesty to speeders, should we also do so with murder, burglary, and all other crimes as well. We would no longer have a crime problem. Simply ignore all laws or wipe them all off the books and send all the politicians home, close the courts, and we can all live happily ever after.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 06:04 pm
okie wrote:

ebrown, your game is to marginalize illegal immigration. All crimes cannot be equated to all other crimes. Using your reasoning, since we give amnesty to speeders, should we also do so with murder, burglary, and all other crimes as well. We would no longer have a crime problem. Simply ignore all laws or wipe them all off the books and send all the politicians home, close the courts, and we can all live happily ever after.

Okie, you are trying to marginalize illegal speeding.

You may know the story of Tiffany Serno, the precious eight year old girl who was murdered after being violated in the worst way (I will spare you the details).

Can you imagine the horror that her grieving mother felt when she found out this a**hole had received a speeding ticket just two years earlier. Yeah, that is right he was illegally speeding, but the police just gave him a ticket, and then let him go.

How do you think she felt knowing that if he had been put in jail, her little girl would still be alive? (And to top it all off, the murder drove to the site of the crime -- yes, he actually drove).

You don't think we should take this seriously?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:13 pm
ebrown, do you actually think anyone is taking you seriously here? I doubt you even take yourself seriously? Your analogy with speeding doesn't work. I would suggest you give it up instead of further eroding any minimal credibility you might think you still have.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:18 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
okie wrote:

Okie, you are trying to marginalize illegal speeding.

You may know the story of Tiffany Serno, the precious eight year old girl who was murdered after being violated in the worst way (I will spare you the details).

Can you imagine the horror that her grieving mother felt when she found out this a**hole had received a speeding ticket just two years earlier. Yeah, that is right he was illegally speeding, but the police just gave him a ticket, and then let him go.

How do you think she felt knowing that if he had been put in jail, her little girl would still be alive? (And to top it all off, the murder drove to the site of the crime -- yes, he actually drove).

You don't think we should take this seriously?

That was way over the top. Your attempt to satirize by analogy is obvious, but this was not just in bad taste, it is something you should be ashamed of.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:25 pm
It is a direct parallel of arguments being made in other threads, and intended as biting satire.

I don't think it is either inappropriate or shameful.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:26 pm
Your last sentence ought to have stopped after "I don't think . . ." and have been put in the past tense. I understand that you have no shame, but you should have. No skin off my nose if you don't.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:31 pm
It was clearly a made up story, Set. I understand your self-appointed role as militant moderate, but as satire, explain why this was inappropriate.

It was clearly a made up story as satire of people who take advantage of real tragedies.

Why are you so offended Set, please explain?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:38 pm
Keep your snotty remarks about self-appointed roles to yourself. I commented on the poor taste of your story in my capacity as a private member here, something to which i am as entitled as much as anyone else. I am not a moderator, and have never masqueraded as a moderator.

To attempt to sustain your satire by a reference to child sexual abuse culminating in murder does not offend me, because, as i have said, your lack of shame (and decency and good taste) is no skin off my nose. I still have the right to point out that it is in extremely poor taste, and sinks to a shameful level which is not warranted by your poor effort to create a satire. If this is your notion of satire, than you have piss poor literary creative skills.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:49 pm
The point of my story was to parody the people who use such horrible tragedies as a way to defame immigrants while making this specious connection. I invented a story of child abuse as a fictional example of a horrible crime (and the people I am parodying always use a horrible crime).If it was the fact I invented a story child abuse as an example of a horrible story that offended you, then I apologize-- and you can substitute some of tragedy of the type that people normally take advantage of for specious political gain.

I generally respect the posts you make here, although I do think you have overly strong "moderate" position that sometimes make you overreact to either side... but I offer that free of charge. There has only been one other time that I have felt you have overreacted to something I said.

I would be interested to hear if other of the people whom I respect had the same reaction as Setanta. I would be very interested to hear in a private message.

I posted this as a parody of the type of post that really annoy me, but my intention was not to offend (especially you Set). I feel it is valid as satire, but I would be open to hear from others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:54 pm
As i said, it was not a matter of being offended. If i met someone who was pissing into the gutter of a public thoroughfare, it wouldn't offend me, but i'd still have as much right as anyone else to point out to them that their act was in poor taste and shameless. That is precisely how i have reacted to this.

Your opinion about my "moderate" positions is laughable, and i neither agree with nor value your claim about habitual "overreaction" on my part. It apparently hasn't occurred to you that i might be responding honestly based upon my opinions.

As far as overreacting goes, when it comes to the topic of immigration, no one can outdo your efforts.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:03 pm
Wow. Proof again that this issue of illegal immigration cuts across party lines. Politicians that have totally misjudged this issue need to go back and do their homework before they start with any new legislation to ram down everybody's throats like we are all a bunch of dimwits out here.
0 Replies