When I woke this morning

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:59 pm
((((((((((((((Dys))))))))))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:12 pm
Miller, I did my lab internship in a diabetic clinic. I don't remember dys' numbers, but do remember some senior numbers tend to go lower than published norms, from some recent articles. I'm not expert, just saying I read, 40 years after I ran sugars, some quibbling about numbers.

I do hope there are follow ups as hypoglycemia is well possible. But, he has had trouble eating at all for a long time. (Which, if you read this, dys, doesn't always mean one should dive for carbs, indeed, sometimes the opposite, protein. JPB explained it, or started to, on another thread today...)

I don't think hypoglycemia or lack of potassium, via pills or bananas et al, are all of it. What I know of other issues is not my business to explain.

But I'll go on about one thing.
OK, here it comes...

Dys still smokes.

As an old smoker, I understand. I also want him to stop.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:15 pm
Miller wrote:
Normal blood glucose is 70-100 mg/dL.

Dys had a blood glucose level of 50 mg/dL.

Geez, do I have to chase up the articles about seniors?

Well, I won't. I'll agree hypoglycemia is a concern.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:15 pm
I was meaning to ask that question. He does still smoke. Isn't that the one worst thing you can do in terms of BP and arteriosclerosis? Sorry, Dys, but you KNOW you need to stop. It's also an appetite squasher. More dope, less tobacco.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 01:41 am
Well, this whole thread is not my business.

On the smoking, I remember making decisions, one way or the other, on that, myself, re my own smoking. It is his purview, his business.

Ah, a lot of us older folks have, if not clinical depression, at least some level of what the fuqk, along with a search for comfort.

What I might have lectured about at 35 or 42 or 47 to others... I've gotten more circumspect about.

So........

ya'll lecture him, ok?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 05:34 am
Dys--

It isn't easy being gray.

How many 45 pound bags of potting soil do you have to lift to enter Spain? Can you get luggage wheels for the foreign potting soil?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Dys--

It isn't easy being gray.

How many 45 pound bags of potting soil do you have to lift to enter Spain? Can you get luggage wheels for the foreign potting soil?
Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:29 am
{{{{{{Dys}}}}}}} {{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}}

While I wish you had more strength and energy, and while I understand Diane's concern about the possible longterm effects of an international trip, I fully understand the need and desire to do what you can do while you can do it.

Dunno what the proper balance is, that's for you two to decide, but if you're going to miss not sharing Spain with Diane for the rest of your days, then find some way to share Spain.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:47 am
Re: When I woke this morning
dyslexia wrote:
I've lost 40 lbs since my stroke 3 yrs ago ( I was never heavier than "skinny" so I had no weight to lose) but today made me realize I'm not gaining back my weight nor my strength. I'm now seriously wondering if I will ever regain any weight or strength. My doc offers no encouragement in terms of prognosis. I'm depressed, (my BP was 190 / 110 last night though it's down to 135 / 80 this evening)

Maybe the others already know this, but how much are you eating and excercising these days? Would your doctor approve if you ate and exercised more?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:11 am
well, if the lovely lady dianne wont let you go to spain its certain you wont be allowed to come to Australia.

hmm, Mohammed, mountain.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 10:29 am
Hey dadpad, mohammed coming to the mountain sounds good to me.

Please believe me, I never tell Dys what or what not to do. That is one of the best things about our relationship. We discussed the trip to Spain and I stated my concerns. This is the man I found when I was sixty and I really don't want to lose him. I also live with him everyday and see how bone tired he gets and how weak he is and it scares me half to death.

We went to Europe two years ago and it took him a month to recover. The tiredness was truly frightening. He weighs much less now and he is more medically fragile now.

We have an RV and this part of the country is filled with beautiful places to go. It is impossible to see all of it, especially in our lifetime. An advantage of the RV is that we can stop whenever we want to and take a nap. Some of the trips we have taken in the southwest have rated higher than the trip to Europe, which was incredible.

If I'm being too protective, please tell me. I never knew it was possible to love or to be loved this much until I met Dys. We got a late start. I want it to last as long as possible

Objectivity?? Impossible for me. I'll leave it to Osso to come over and slap some sense into me if I'm being selfish and overly protective. The thing is, I am very much for doing what you enjoy over what is sensible. I've always been that way...until now.

Spain is wonderful but we do have lovely alternatives. One of my concerns is that Dys is eating more and if he continues to improve, we might be able to enjoy the trip to Spain far more if we wait a year or even six months. Resevations though, need to be made at least four months in advance.

I'm starting to ramble. Hugs to all of you who posted and who obviously care. That is one of the main reasons I love a2k, even though I don't post regularly.

More suggestions are welcome.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 01:24 pm
I can see both points of views.
No, Diane you are not being selfish and overprotective. You love him and want to keep him well.
Dys, of course you want to share your favorite place with your favorite love.

I barely know the two of you but I admire the love you have found. I love your voices on here and the way I can see the two of you together. (the pictures are great too!)
It is wonderful.
And you both know to cherish it and you do.

I know that the two of you will do the best thing for both of you.

(I am leaning towards the sensible side though, but If it means that much to Dys?....)

Dys, you poopityhead (can I call you that?), I have no medical advice. I only wish you strength and may more mornings of tea sipping/sunrise watching.

((((Dys))))
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 02:12 pm
Diane wrote:
If I'm being too protective, please tell me. I never knew it was possible to love or to be loved this much until I met Dys. We got a late start. I want it to last as long as possible

How dare you care whether your loved one dies or lives? This is waaay overprotective! (Of course, I'm hardly objective about this, either. As you know, Dys and I never liked each other.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:06 pm
Diane--

Dys is an Endangered Species who is reluctant to accept all the implications of mortality.

You have your hands full.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:12 pm
Diane wrote:
Spain is wonderful but we do have lovely alternatives. One of my concerns is that Dys is eating more and if he continues to improve, we might be able to enjoy the trip to Spain far more if we wait a year or even six months. Resevations though, need to be made at least four months in advance.

Good luck to the two of you, whatever you decide. From my own, selfish perspective, I still think fondly of London, and wouldn't mind seeing you again at all.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 05:01 pm
One of the most beautiful drives in the southwest take you through clovis and down to mid/south texas.

All along highway 71, there are OLD cemeteries that just dot the skyline.

Sometimes it is only a few scattered white crosses.

Sometimes there are modern looking rounded headstones.

Even better still are the ones that are just piles of rocks.

Just follow highway 71.
Then, take a right on Manchaca...

call me from there. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 05:47 am
Check out:

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/library/displayNews.cfm?id=86327
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 05:48 am
So how are you feeling this morning, Dys? A little better, I hope.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:14 am
wells thomas, sally dog and dante cat got me up at 4:45 so we made a cuppa Assam tea and sat in the dark on the patio and now I'm watching the hummingbird nest outside my office window (I'm thinking they will hatch any day now) and you are a poopityhead but I have a case of Tecate beer just waiting for your visit and lady Diane says she will make the bed up in the guest room (Roger can sleep on the sofa). I had a good nights sleep.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:26 am
dadpad wrote:
well, if the lovely lady dianne wont let you go to spain its certain you wont be allowed to come to Australia.

hmm, Mohammed, mountain.

We've TRIED to get him here.

I think we'll have to move the US closer.
0 Replies