I don't take much meds . . .

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:45 pm
And do you take alka selzer? Aspirin there... last I heard.

Well, hey, I'm only a follower of this stuff, and will switch views possibly wrongly. The usual cautions apply, speak with your physician.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:48 pm
Farmerman I heard you just got out of the hospital. Are you better???
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:49 pm
STUDY
Low-Dose, Enteric Aspirin Often Fail to Produce Antiplatelet Effect: Presented at ISC
By Charlene Laino
Special to DG News

PHOENIX, AZ -- February 19, 2003 -- Low-dose and enteric-coated aspirin fail to produce a significant antiplatelet effect in most patients who take the drug to prevent cardiovascular disease, a new study suggests.

However, full-dose uncoated aspirin appears to be more effective, reported Mark Alberts, MD, director of the Stroke Program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, United States. Dr. Alberts presented the results here on February 14th at the 28th International Stroke Conference.

Although aspirin is used routinely for the prevention of vascular events in patients with cerebrovascular disease, its efficacy is limited, with risk reductions of only 20%, Dr. Alberts said. His group undertook the study to test the hypothesis that aspirin may not have a significant antiplatelet effect in some patients, and the lack of an effect may be dependent on the drug's dose and formulation.

The researchers prospectively collected data on aspirin dose, type (coated or uncoated), demographic factors and homocysteine level in 126 patients, whose average age was 61.9 years. They all had an ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attack or stenosis of a cerebral artery. The antiplatelet effects of aspirin were measured using the platelet function assay (PFA) 100 device, which assesses antiplatelet effects using a flow aperture closure paradigm, Dr. Alberts said.

Twenty-seven percent of patients were taking 81 mg of aspirin daily and the rest, 325 mg. About one-third used an enteric-coated preparation.

Overall, 38% of all patients had a normal platelet function assay by the PFA100 test. Of patients taking low-dose aspirin, 56% had normal platelet function compared with 28% of those taking 325 mg of aspirin.

Among patients taking an enteric-coated preparation, 65% had normal platelet function, regardless of the dose, while 75% of patients taking uncoated aspirin did show reduced clotting.

Routine testing of antiplatelet effects in patients receiving aspirin may be warranted to optimize dosing and efficacy, Dr. Alberts concluded.

[Study title: Lack Of Antiplatelet Effect In Patients Receiving Aspirin
Abstract P291]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:56 pm
OK, I'm listening. But...

well, back on the buts tomorrow, I'm not in a google mood. As I said on the other thread, there are two kinds of strokes. The one not about clotting (aspirin helps re clotting) being about hemorraghic strokes, and that effect of aspirin - at least used to be understood to last a long time per pill.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:59 pm
The vast amount of strokes are of the clot induced. Uncontrolled bleeding is less frequent and has other lead-in pathology (so Ive been told by my recently acquired cardiologist who now sends me **** on the web).

QUESTION_IS it good to listen to a doc who has a web page?

Nick-yeh im just under out patient intense monitoring for a couple days. Edgar needs to be looking at aspirin as a preventative , not an unqualified guarantee. Medicial advice , it appears to me, is mostly the result of statistical inference.

Lots of people who smoke dont die of lung cancer. many do.

Can aspirin hurt? (Above all else-do no harm, I think is how the Hippo code starts)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:14 pm
I suspect it is cattywampus. That mostly it helps and sometimes it may help in the other direction. (I recently invested in baby aspirin, haven't gone for it yet.)

I suppose there are studies that relate all this to platelet counts, stickyness, at the least. I'm not privy to anyofthat.

Long time ago article in, I think, Atlantic Monthly, by some guy, about the Cholesterol Myth. I saved that article for years but eventually tossed it.

Turned out he was pretty fairly ostracized, and another bunch of decades went by.

And then, just as he was wayyy older, people came around to his view, more or less.

All worth reading.

Ah, but it's near midnight here. I'll try to elicit links when I awake.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:15 pm
In any case, we don't have a stroke center in new mexico.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Plus, platelet counts are easy, very easy. One can have this data to make decisions by.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:59 am
One reason I am not overly eager to do the aspirin regimen, my blood is so thin, already, that I damn near bleed to death with the most minor cuts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 02:59 pm
Took one aspirin last night and now feel okay. Probably it was just tension.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:22 pm
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Need to read back a couple pages.....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 01:16 pm
when i look at the various colours of my medications , it looks as if i'm taking a lot of smarties - green , brown , blue and a lot of white Shocked
but the doc tells me not to be concerned ("you should see how many meds other people have to take" - so a couple of large glasses of water and down they go ).
certainly can't complain much AT MY AGE Exclamation Very Happy
going to out to cut the lawn - that always makes me feel Very Happy
hbg
0 Replies