I don't take much meds . . .

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:56 pm
Well, I don't know if it's stress or what. Been experiencing a lot lately. But, I found out my brother is seriously ill. A symptom of that illness is severe headache. Maybe a sympathetic headache? I have rarely in my life experienced anything I would call a headache, except a bit with hangover. Today, I have one. I was surprised to open the med cabinet and find my regular aspirin expired in Dec., 2002. So I checked the extra strength formula for body aches and the like. Expired, 2005. That's when I decided to double check everything else in there. As it happens, I didn't throw away anything else, but I know now how easy it is to overlook these things.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,200 • Replies: 30
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:21 pm
Did you take them anyway?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:23 pm
Sorry to hear about your brother, edgar.

How's the headache now?

Joe(throw all that crap in the medicine cabinet away.)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:24 pm
I was afraid to. little k. I went down and bought a nifty new bottle of one hundred, that expires in 2009.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:32 pm
edgar wrote :

Quote:
I went down and bought a nifty new bottle of one hundred, that expires in 2009.

are you planning to hang around for a long time or will the remainder of the pills go into your estate - evenly divided , i hope !
MAY YOU LVE A LONG LIFE , EDGAR ! and have some fun while you are at it ! Very Happy
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:34 pm
I plan to be here long enough to see if the 60s are as hysterical this next time around, as they were in the 20th Century.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:18 pm
Thanks for the reminder to check those expiration dates. I can be mmmm a bit bad about that, particularly with sinus junk. I'll pick up some new meds when I'm on the road later this week.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:37 pm
I once asked a doctor about expiration dates. She said that generally drugs just lose their efficacy as they age - they don't go bad like meat or milk - more like going flat like soda.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:41 pm
Back in the lab, we could never used conjugated antisera past the given expiration date, and never did, on research or patients. On the other hand, I did run some oldies along with the fresh stuff, and they behaved the same. I tested that out over time, same and same. Well, that's anecdotal. The cost of the fresh antisera will be seen in your bill...

(This is not a promotion for using expired stuff. Just musing.)

Edit - I'm aware protein breaks down over time in a refrigerator or regular old freezer situation. Not all so fast in our lab.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:48 pm
Funny story- Years ago, there was an over the counter medicine called Bronkaid. It was for asthma. I think that the name is still out there, but they have changed the formula, and it is nowhere near as effective.

Anyhow, I had found that the old Bronkaid, which had ephedrine and phenobarbitol in it, was very good for mild depression. A couple of years ago, I was digging around in the back of a closet, and found a carton of the old Bronkaid. The expiration date was 1985. Each pill was in its own silver covering, and the pills looked fine. And they worked fine. I was very upset when I used up that last pill!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:55 pm
littlek wrote:
I once asked a doctor about expiration dates. She said that generally drugs just lose their efficacy as they age - they don't go bad like meat or milk - more like going flat like soda.

For some drugs, that's true. For others, as the meds degrade, toxic by-products are produced that either kill you or cause renal damage.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:57 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Funny story- Years ago, there was an over the counter medicine called Bronkaid. It was for asthma. I think that the name is still out there, but they have changed the formula, and it is nowhere near as effective.

Anyhow, I had found that the old Bronkaid, which had ephedrine and phenobarbitol in it, was very good for mild depression. A couple of years ago, I was digging around in the back of a closet, and found a carton of the old Bronkaid. The expiration date was 1985. Each pill was in its own silver covering, and the pills looked fine. And they worked fine. I was very upset when I used up that last pill!

Phenobarbitol in an OTC med? Boy, those were the good old days...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:00 pm
Miller wrote:
littlek wrote:

For some drugs, that's true. For others, as the meds degrade, toxic by-products are produced that either kill you or cause renal damage.

Common household drugs? Which drugs do this?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:02 pm
littlek wrote:
Miller wrote:
littlek wrote:

Common household drugs? Which drugs do this?

The antibiotics referred to as the tetracyclines, for example.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:05 pm
Oh! I wouldn't use expired antibiotics. Good to know!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:14 pm
BTW edgar, why arent you taking an aspirin a day as a clo buster. You like playing roulette?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:30 pm
BTW edgar, why arent you taking an aspirin a day as a clo buster. You like playing roulette?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I take a combo of vitamin E, garlic, and magnesium, instead. No doc ever told me I need aspirin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:38 pm
I'm not so sure anyone needs a whole aspirin, the thing now is baby aspirin.

From some notes in my memory, one aspirin has effects for several days, something like five.

Not good if you are a bleeder.

Really, all this stuff should be figured out with your md.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:39 pm
How bout if we get CowDoc ? That good enough for you?
An aspirin a day is a good idea with or without your doc being involved. (Just tell her that youve started taking an aspirin a day)
BTW, the new advice is one enteric aspirin a day, not a single baby aspirin, taken with water so it doesnt erode tissue.

You may thank me later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:42 pm
Advice from whom, the aspirin company?

I'll listen if you show me, show me., and then show me. I'm wary. There are TWO kinds of strokes.
0 Replies