Health Implications of 100% DEET Products

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:20 am
I know that lower levels of DEET are recommended for use on children for health reasons, but what about high levels for adults? Can this be healthy under any circumstances?

DeepWoods-type formulations contain 30-35% DEET which I always considered heavy duty, but recently I saw that OFF! markets a small pump bottle of 100% DEET. There are no health precautions listed, only claims that it lasts longer (8-10 hours.)

I generally avoid all these products, but I see that our state just had its first confirmed case of West Nile, and the health officials are predicting a brutal year as the "season" develops. (They recommend using a 35% DEET concentration.)

Is there anything that really repels bugs (specifically flies) when one is working and perspiring? The 35% DEET lasts only a few minutes under these circumstances, and the bugs are vicious. I assume one would "sweat off" a 100% concentration just as quickly. My wife hates most DEET-based sprays and I hate the oily Avon Skin-So-Soft type products that seem to be the only alternative. Suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,957 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:49 am
I just swat them. Sorry, no real suggestions, but I want to stick around and listen to what others have to say.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
LITTLEK: Hi. Yeah, that was pretty much my attitude, too, but 31 deaths in the state last year is an eyeopener. Here are the stats for Ohio:

http://www.odh.state.oh.us/odhprograms/zoodis/wnv/wnvupdate.htm

They say the WNV season is just starting, too. We've had constant rain all summer -- it's raining right now. I assume this is an issue in MASS and the NE, too?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:13 am
I copied these facts from a sidebar in Organic Style which is Rodale press crossed with glossy glitch.

The original research was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Bottom line is that there are effective products that work without DEET, but they must be applied much more frequently than the possible neurological saboteur.

BITE BLOCKER FOR KIDS (based on soybean oil) gave protection for up to 90 minutes.

AVON SKIN SO SOFT BUG GUARD PLUS (based on a chemical called IR3535) kept mosquitoes away for an average of 22.9 minutes.

CITRONELLA-BASED PRODUCTS worked for 20 minutes or less.

REPEL LEMON EUCALYPTUS INSECT REPELLENT (eucalyptus oil based)
works for an hour or two.

FITE BITE PLANT BASED INSECT REPELLENT was also effective for 1-2 hours. (See: www.travmed.com )

West Nile is deadly for the elderly, for those with compromised immune systems and those in generally poor health. Rhodale bets that DEET presents a greater risk.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:37 pm
I'll keep slapping
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:52 pm
I have traveled to countries that have malaria warnings, and depending on the destination, I check with Kaiser for medications that must be taken before and trip and for one week after returning home. I also use 30% DEET at all destinations with malaria. I remember my trip to India when we were out in the early evening to visit Gandhi's crematory, and the place was infested with mosquitos. I was fearful, but nothing happened - didn't even feel any bites. Most brochures will warn people to be careful at dawn and dusk, and where there are collections of water near by. In some safari camps in Africa, we had mosquito nets on our bed. c.i.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:14 pm
Skin So soft is a myth. It does not work. Its like the diatomaceous earth insecticides. If youre gonna do some rteal trekkin or be among the anaphaloids, you better use DEET. I made a concoction of DEET and lavendar, its got a more pleasant smell than DEEP WOODS. I gave somebody over on abuzz the mixture last year I dont know who it was or whether it worked but, it works for me.

Working in the deep tropics ? HA ci, there is , no place on earth worse than the tree-line Arctic when it comes to just ear splitting , constant droning BUGS. We used to wear beekeepers hoods up there. You wont get many diseases except a local pox or anaphalaxis, but you go just plain mad from the mosquitos and pine flies and deer flies and moose flies and elk flies and walrus flies. Every specie of mammal seems to have its own unique volunteer species of biting sucking fly that now in the mood to try sucking new mammal blood.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:15 pm
The ads at the top of the thread are interesting:

http://www.atkenco.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=114

Does this one come with lawn-strength Altoids?

http://www.mosquitoczar.com/
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:17 pm
FARMERMAN: Now that you mention it, I think I remember reading that on Abuzz. Care to share the recipe again?
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:20 pm
Meow? Exclamation

http://www.herbalremedies.com/inreexst4flo.html?source=google&engine=adwords&keyword=catnip+insect+repelent
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:28 pm
Whooda, I use Deep Woods OFF since I work outside a lot and in places that are thick with skeeters. I usually spray it on my pants legs and just a littel on my wrists. A little goes a long way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:31 pm
Swimpy - is that Neil Young?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
I remember in east Africa where they have tse tse flies. They bite right through your clothes - especially through the socks. ;( c.i.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:38 pm
No tse-tse flies in these parts, but plenty of deer flies. Has anyone been bitten by them? Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:39 pm
YOWCH!

They are evil evil little creatures.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:40 pm
Soz - Ah yup
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:53 pm
Are deer flies like horse flies? Greenheads?
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:07 pm
Nah, deer flies are small ,more triangular, and really persistent.

http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/fieldguide/cimg224.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:16 pm
yeah - horse flies!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 07:25 pm
LITTLEK: Horse flies are pretty big (up to an inch) and they DO hurt when they bite. The deer flies are in the photo on the bottom of that link.
0 Replies