0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:10 am
Kiss me, you fool.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 12:16 pm
Lust--

Sometimes English-speaking men get carried away with jokes about drinking heavily. Do Chinese men do the same thing?
0 Replies

lust

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:23 pm
"Impossible is Nothing" is a great slogan for those drunk. Smile

Noddy,
Of course we do so!
0 Replies

lust

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 11:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
lust wrote:
gustavratzenhofer:
I even cannot understand what kind of things(food and drink?) you are talking about...sorry

Back off, Jack! I don't know who you are or what you want, but, just....back off.

Well,now I feel that ignorance sometimes is good for me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:00 am
Quote:
Well,now I feel that ignorance sometimes is good for me.

Ah, true Oriental Wisdom from the ancient and mysterious east.
0 Replies

lust

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:53 am
Thanks! Noddy!
I appreciate it!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:59 am
Lust, word order in English is different than it is in Mandarin.

"Impossible is nothing" in English would be "Nothing is impossible". We generally use subject, verb, object word order. Using "impossible' as a subject and "nothing" as the object, the two words become a simple equivalent. By reversing the word order, the sentence becomes in a way more than the sum of it's parts.

"Well,now I feel that ignorance sometimes is good for me." In English there is a saying, "Ignorance is bliss". Your rendering is easily understandable, but unusual. That can sometimes be a good thing, because it gets attention from the reader/listener who might underrate the more common cliche.

Don't become discouraged, even native English speakers often mangle the language.
0 Replies

lust

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:11 am
Asherman .
Thanks for your tips.
I still wonder that how the "word order"works in English.I learnt that reversing the word order like changing the order of subject and object can be a kind of emphasis in my English class,is that true?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:11 am
Asherman wrote:
Lust, word order in English is different than it is in Mandarin.

"Impossible is nothing" in English would be "Nothing is impossible". We generally use subject, verb, object word order. Using "impossible' as a subject and "nothing" as the object, the two words become a simple equivalent. By reversing the word order, the sentence becomes in a way more than the sum of it's parts.

Well, I thought it was a reference to the nike slogan "Impossible is nothing." In which case it was 100 % appropriate. Was it, lust?
0 Replies

lust

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:15 am
Coolwhip.
well,yes.
Actually I don`t know whether this slogan can be used in formal occasions.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:36 am
I wouldn't consider this a formal occasion. And I found that reference to be quite fitting. If you want to know what is fitting in a formal context you should probably consult someone more socially adapt than me.
0 Replies