Iraq attacks kill 9 U.S. troops

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:36 am
McGentrix wrote:
So, let me get this straight so I understand you guys...

It is your opinion that Al Qaeda is better trained, better financed and has more members now, then before we invaded Iraq.

That is what you are suggesting, right?

That would make sense considering the US had just spent a year destroying the Taliban and most of the AQ infrastructure and financial means.

Do you believe they are better trained, better financed and has more members now, then before 9/11?

Yes, as every piece of evidence has shown this to be true. They certainly have been given a ton of on the job training, and those who were weak are dead.

I think they had their base of operations disrupted by the war in afghanistan, but we didn't finish 'em off, so they just regrouped and grew stronger. I'd like to see you show evidence that this isn't true, actually.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:42 am
McGentrix wrote:

It is your opinion that Al Qaeda is better trained, better financed and has more members now, then before we invaded Iraq.

That would make sense considering the US had just spent a year destroying the Taliban and most of the AQ infrastructure and financial means.

What happens when you disturb the beehive? The bees will respond by attacking.

Quote:
Do you believe they are better trained, better financed and has more members now, then before 9/11?

No, there are only one or two of them and they're hiding in their caves. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:22 am
Dookiestix wrote:
reverend hellh0und wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

no **** but we fight them until they re-evaluate thier cost to kill ratio....

Um, they are winning this ratio. They have evaluated it, and it's going well for them.

Cycloptichorn

Really? How many did we kill, how many did they kill? Laughing

Which side is more than happy to die for their religion?

Looks like you already forgot about Asymmetrical warfare.

Stupid is as stupid does. Keep it up.

You should not be so hard on yourself. You were perhaps born that way. Laughing

"Asymmetrical warfare"? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

We were discussing (which you got wrong) Asynchronous warfare

And yes this war is asymetrical warfare. Your side the terrorists use terrorist tactics and we the Good guys are killing a lot more of them than they are of us.

GO USA!
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:26 am
McGentrix wrote:

Let me add to this.

If these savages are "better financed, trained, and equiped." What kind of FOOL would suggest retreating now! Rolling Eyes

And Cycle, you talk of "cowardice".... Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:18 am
McGentrix wrote:

Let me add to this.

If these savages are "better financed, trained, and equiped." What kind of FOOL would suggest retreating now! Rolling Eyes

Yes, I do. Those who are obsessed with guns are cowards at heart, and your avatar says a lot about you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:22 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Let me add to this.

Yes, I do. Those who are obsessed with guns are cowards at heart, and your avatar says a lot about you.

Cycloptichorn

Tell me J. what brave things have you done in your life to call someone you don't know on the Internet a "coward"?

Ever been in a gunfight?

How brave does someone have to be to call someone else a "coward" from the saftey of the Internet..... Sad.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:26 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Let me add to this.

Cycloptichorn

Tell me J. what brave things have you done in your life to call someone you don't know on the Internet a "coward"?

Sad.

I am not required to have performed any specific action in order to voice a specific belief.

You asked on another thread what my military background was, and I have no problem telling you that in 1997 neither the Army nor the Air Force was interested in my service, given my ocular disability; my nickname isn't pulled out of thin air. To be fair, I didn't ask the Marines or the Navy if they would take me.

You state:

Quote:

If these savages are "better financed, trained, and equiped." What kind of FOOL would suggest retreating now!

It is our presence in Iraq which is training, financing and equipping them. You propose that we continue to do so, which is foolish in the extreme.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:31 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I am not required to have performed any specific action in order to voice a specific belief.

Then tell me what do you base your belief on?

Quote:

You asked on another thread what my military background was, and I have no problem telling you that in 1997 neither the Army nor the Air Force was interested in my service, given my ocular disability; my nickname isn't pulled out of thin air. To be fair, I didn't ask the Marines or the Navy if they would take me.

So you wanted to join? and you name yourself after your "disability"? Laughing

Again, Have you ever been in a gunfight?

If not how can you judge "Cowardice" when it comes to guns?

A man who shoots an intruder in his home who was raping his daughter, do you call that man a coward?

Hoplophobia runs deep with you.

Quote:

You state:

Quote:

If these savages are "better financed, trained, and equiped." What kind of FOOL would suggest retreating now!

It is our presence in Iraq which is training, financing and equipping them. You propose that we continue to do so, which is foolish in the extreme.

Cycloptichorn

So we leave tomorrow. That would stop Terrorism? Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:53 am
I base my beliefs upon a lifetime of experience with firearms of all types. It is something of a family tradition. And there are definite differences between people who deal with them on a regular basis; some do so for fun, some do so out of necessity. Some take it to a whole other level, and those who pose with guns for pictures generally tend to fall in that category.

Quote:

I did want to join, yes, and was rejected.

Have I ever been in a gunfight? No!

You don't have to have been in a gunfight to know what cowardice is. There's a time and place to be strapped, and that's on the field of battle or when you're hunting.

Quote:

A man who shoots an intruder in his home who was raping his daughter, do you call that man a coward?

No, that guy isn't a coward. You are Appealing to Extremes, which is a logical fallacy.

Quote:

So we leave tomorrow. That would stop Terrorism?

Who said that? Appealing to Extremes is a logical fallacy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I base my beliefs upon a lifetime of experience with firearms of all types. It is something of a family tradition. And there are definite differences between people who deal with them on a regular basis; some do so for fun, some do so out of necessity. Some take it to a whole other level, and those who pose with guns for pictures generally tend to fall in that category.

"Generally tend"? So you admit that you have no substance to your claim of the Good Reverend's Cowardice.... Laughing

But let me understand your thought here. Because you fondled firearms as a family tradition that makes you an expert on judging "Cowardice" based on internet avatars....

You funny.... Laughing

Quote:

Quote:

I did want to join, yes, and was rejected.

Have I ever been in a gunfight? No!

You don't have to have been in a gunfight to know what cowardice is. There's a time and place to be strapped, and that's on the field of battle or when you're hunting.

Well lets see. The Good Reverend has been in all the above situations. How again does my avatar make me a "Coward"?

Quote:

Quote:

No, that guy isn't a coward. You are Appealing to Extremes, which is a logical fallacy.

And calling someone a coward based on a blurry bw avatar is not? Laughing

You funny.

Read

Quote:

Quote:

So we leave tomorrow. That would stop Terrorism?

Who said that? Appealing to Extremes is a logical fallacy.

Cycloptichorn

So then what is the solution. Bring em home and expell all muslims, circle the wagons and hope for the best? Or would you suggest we roll on our backs and piss ourselves in surrender?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:10 am
Quote:

So then what is the solution. Bring em home and expell all muslims, circle the wagons and hope for the best? Or would you suggest we roll on our backs and piss ourselves in surrender?

Do you honestly believe that these are the only options we have?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:12 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Nope, I have no idea what you think the options are so I have to guess. I am all ears friend.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 10:19 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Nope, I have no idea what you think the options are so I have to guess. I am all ears friend.

This is better - I like substantial discussion.

To begin, are there options in Iraq other than full engagement? Before discussing leaving completely, we should discuss whether or not we can partially leave/change focus to a level where our presence is not acting against our own interests, yet we aren't so far away that Iran could just roll in forces.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is better - I like substantial discussion.

The Good Reverend gives what he gets, friend. Wink

Quote:

To begin, are there options in Iraq other than full engagement? Before discussing leaving completely, we should discuss whether or not we can partially leave/change focus to a level where our presence is not acting against our own interests, yet we aren't so far away that Iran could just roll in forces.

Cycloptichorn

My position is that we can not leave now. wether you think the war was needed or that it was a waste. Leaving now would create a much larger more dangerous threat. Even moreso than some claim we have created now.

You seem to acknowledge this in your post. So you see this is a war we can not lose.

Read below. Note This has nothing to do with right or wrong or what you think of bush. Put that aside now it is not the point.

What would leaving now do.

IMO...

1. rally terrorist and ralley radical islamic savage hordes.

2. Create a civil war of attrition in Iraq where only the likes of AQ would benefit.

3. Create economic reprucussions as fear of oil prices hit the market.

4. create a failed state in Iraq.

5. Embolden Iran. I think Iraq would falsley see our retreat as a sign of weakness and spark a much larger conflict.

What would staying until we win do.

1. Facilitate a stable Iraq that trades freely with other nations to the benefit of the iraqi people not certain fat cats in the UN, France, Russia, etc.

2. Demoralize the terrorists, how much so depends on the level of victory.

3. demonstrate another path other than radical islam to people in the region.

4. Be a guideline or a shiny possibility of success to other ME nations who reform.

Now you never asked me but I will lay it out for you. I don't like public timelines. They don't work in ours or the Iraqi peoples favor. They only help the enemy. However I do think a private phone call to the iraqi gov insisting that they step up now or we will begin to leave in 2 years (or whatever is appropriate) would go much farther in motivating the iraqi gov to self determination. If in the two years they do not meet the private discussion level goals then I think we should start to a less populated area and tell Iran that if they intefere there will be problems. And as for Iraq stand on the outside and come in if the problem starts to tilt in the enemies favor.

But if we do go back it should be with a much more intense resolve and more absolute control. Like we did Japan.

Cycle, I can be a civil or as rowdy as the next guy. It is up to you how I respond to you. Don't fall into that trap the other poster did. We have history and he can not control himself. I am always willing to discuss with those who don't hold the same views. That is why I post on these forums.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:26 pm
Naturally I disagree with some of your conclusions, which should make for a nice discussion.

Quote:

My position is that we can not leave now. wether you think the war was needed or that it was a waste. Leaving now would create a much larger more dangerous threat. Even moreso than some claim we have created now.

You seem to acknowledge this in your post. So you see this is a war we can not lose.

I disagree. You say we 'cannot' lose this war, but all of the consequences of loss are either nebulous or supposition. We won't have tanks or planes rolling in on our soil if we retreat. The American people will be in no greater danger then they are today, because nothing we are currently doing in Iraq is keeping any sort of attack from happening here at all.

Quote:

Read below. Note This has nothing to do with right or wrong or what you think of bush. Put that aside now it is not the point.

What would leaving now do.

IMO...

1. rally terrorist and ralley radical islamic savage hordes.

Our presence in Iraq has already done this.

Quote:
2. Create a civil war of attrition in Iraq where only the likes of AQ would benefit.

This is already going on, in case you haven't been paying attention.

Quote:

5. Embolden Iran. I think Iraq would falsley see our retreat as a sign of weakness and spark a much larger conflict.

Meh, oil will do whatever it's going to do. We can't not make strategic decisions because we fear oil prices going up; we are not hostages to the oil market.

What would we be emboldening Iran to do, exactly? They have no force capable of attacking us, and an attack upon Israel will result in their nuclear annihilation. So I'm not sure why you are so worried about them.

Quote:

1. Facilitate a stable Iraq that trades freely with other nations to the benefit of the iraqi people not certain fat cats in the UN, France, Russia, etc.

This seems hopelessly naive. How are we facilitating a stable Iraq right now? It isn't as if we haven't been working on this for years.

Quote:

If anything, our presence there gives them happiness. We know it gives them money and recruits and more ill-will against America amongst the general Islaamic populace. Tell me, what is the downside for the terrorists if we stay in Iraq? They get to attack us more, they get more training, more recruits, more money, while WE have to spend ever-increasing amounts to stay there, and have no flexibility with our armed forces to go after them elsewhere. Not a winning situation.

Quote:

Oh, mmm hmm. I think that the average Muslim is as smart as you or I, and is quite aware that Democracy is out there. They don't really need us to 'demonstrate.' In fact, they could look to Turkey for a demonstration of Democracy amongst Islaamic folks. I don't think this is a strong point.

Quote:
4. Be a guideline or a shiny possibility of success to other ME nations who reform.

Right. This hasn't been working out so well so far, so what makes you think it will?

Look, here's the deal. If someone could lay out a plan for victory that didn't rely upon idiotic projections of things that aren't going to happen, then I would be more positive. As it is, there has been no plan presented which even remotely resembles one with a large chance of succeeding. So there's not much point in pursuing these options.

Think of it this way - the population of Iraq is 25 million or so, 16 million over 18. If even 5% of the population is willing to work against us - a super small amount, really - then we will never win. First of all, we're massively outnumbered - just 5% is 750k+ people either willing to fight against us, work against us, or not turn in those who do.

Second, we can't tell those who are against us from those who aren't, and we don't have the goodwill necessary to get the Iraqis to tell for us. As we keep firing Arabic translators for being gay, I don't see this lack of intel changing any time soon.

Third, we are trying to get the populace to trust and believe us at the same time as rooting out the insurgents and terrorists amongst them. This necessarily is a bloody and difficult task, both because of their barbaric actions and our well-intentioned ones; we will have an amazingly difficult time winning goodwill of the folks at the same time we are shooting their neighborhoods up.

Fourth, the Shiite-dominated, Iran-friendly government has no intention of striking a fair deal with the Sunnis or the Kurds when it comes to control of the oil fields. Yet, they represent 60% of the population, so we can't tell them they aren't acting in an undemocratic way without undermining our own system which we are trying to impose upon them. That's a major problem.

Fifth, the cost of the war is staggering. 2 billion a week (and rising!) is a lot of money. But for our enemies, it costs nothing. Nothing for them to stretch this battle out over the next ten, twenty, thirty years. They can be as patient as they like. This is a significant disadvantage on our part.

I could go on, but I'll wait to see what you have to say.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:52 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I disagree. You say we 'cannot' lose this war, but all of the consequences of loss are either nebulous or supposition. We won't have tanks or planes rolling in on our soil if we retreat. The American people will be in no greater danger then they are today, because nothing we are currently doing in Iraq is keeping any sort of attack from happening here at all.

Its not tanks its terrorist attacks. Its also not really a religious issue but an economic one. Radical Islamic savegry tells the poor, uneducated, downtrodden types (though there has been exeptions to this 911 for example) that it is all the west's and Isreal's fault and gives them something to fight for, a scape goat.

As for preventing attacks thats not quite what I mean. I think we have made it easier for those who want to play Jihad to do so in Iraq and distracted them from attacking over here significantly. I also believe that we have damaged the terrorist network and now have hordes of Jihadists not knowing what to do. This is a good thing.

Quote:

This is already going on, in case you haven't been paying attention.

I wouldn't call it a civil war yet. I see it as a terrorist inspired path to one. If it were there would be a lot more dead. a lot more.

Quote:

Quote:

Meh, oil will do whatever it's going to do. We can't not make strategic decisions because we fear oil prices going up; we are not hostages to the oil market.

I unfortunatley disagree. As long as we are dependent on foreign oil we are absolutley held hostage to it. I believe though that thier is a silver lining to this. It will make the market dictate a need for alternatives.

Quote:

What would we be emboldening Iran to do, exactly? They have no force capable of attacking us, and an attack upon Israel will result in their nuclear annihilation. So I'm not sure why you are so worried about them.

Invade Irag (whether armed or politically), Become more bold in their nuclear ambitions to start. and reak havoc on the world oil market.

Quote:

Quote:

This seems hopelessly naive. How are we facilitating a stable Iraq right now? It isn't as if we haven't been working on this for years.

2 Sept 1945 Japan surrenders and the occupation began and lasted until 8 September 1951. Thats 6 years and we were much more heavy handed than we were in Iraq.

I firmly believe that had we operated like we did in Iraq like we did in Japan this would take no longer than it did back then.

Quote:

Quote:

If anything, our presence there gives them happiness. We know it gives them money and recruits and more ill-will against America amongst the general Islaamic populace. Tell me, what is the downside for the terrorists if we stay in Iraq? They get to attack us more, they get more training, more recruits, more money, while WE have to spend ever-increasing amounts to stay there, and have no flexibility with our armed forces to go after them elsewhere. Not a winning situation.

They don't get training per say, they get combat experience. If you think they are happy now, imagine a retreat!

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, mmm hmm. I think that the average Muslim is as smart as you or I, and is quite aware that Democracy is out there. They don't really need us to 'demonstrate.' In fact, they could look to Turkey for a demonstration of Democracy amongst Islaamic folks. I don't think this is a strong point.

Many are smart but no one is smarter than the Good Reverend.... Seriously though. What did Japan know about Democracy? it is a strong point as Turkey wante EU status. Thier goals currently are different.

Quote:

Quote:

Right. This hasn't been working out so well so far, so what makes you think it will?

Again look at Japan.

Quote:

Look, here's the deal. If someone could lay out a plan for victory that didn't rely upon idiotic projections of things that aren't going to happen, then I would be more positive. As it is, there has been no plan presented which even remotely resembles one with a large chance of succeeding. So there's not much point in pursuing these options.

Think of it this way - the population of Iraq is 25 million or so, 16 million over 18. If even 5% of the population is willing to work against us - a super small amount, really - then we will never win. First of all, we're massively outnumbered - just 5% is 750k+ people either willing to fight against us, work against us, or not turn in those who do.

It is much less than that. I would say less than 1% activley fighting the US.

To get your quick victory we would need a draft and a very large occupation again, like we did in Japan. We are not willing to do that so this gets dragged out.. Though I know we will win it. Just not in the time of a 1/2 hour sitcom.

Quote:

Second, we can't tell those who are against us from those who aren't, and we don't have the goodwill necessary to get the Iraqis to tell for us. As we keep firing Arabic translators for being gay, I don't see this lack of intel changing any time soon.

Did you read the GQ article as to what Muslims do to gay arabs? Shocked Islam is not a tolerant religion at this point in history, Much the way Christians were way back when. The best solution to this is to bring them up to speed like you and I.

Quote:

Quote:

Third, we are trying to get the populace to trust and believe us at the same time as rooting out the insurgents and terrorists amongst them. This necessarily is a bloody and difficult task, both because of their barbaric actions and our well-intentioned ones; we will have an amazingly difficult time winning goodwill of the folks at the same time we are shooting their neighborhoods up.

You are correct. War is hell and that should not be a reason to give up. There has to be a way.

Also note that most of Iraq is peaceful... so its not as dire as it sounds.

Quote:

Fourth, the Shiite-dominated, Iran-friendly government has no intention of striking a fair deal with the Sunnis or the Kurds when it comes to control of the oil fields. Yet, they represent 60% of the population, so we can't tell them they aren't acting in an undemocratic way without undermining our own system which we are trying to impose upon them. That's a major problem.

Actually if you divide the regions up according to where they live the disposition of the oil fields are about equal, Like our states. Vermont has more maple syrup than tennessee but they are not fighting each other.

Quote:

Fifth, the cost of the war is staggering. 2 billion a week (and rising!) is a lot of money. But for our enemies, it costs nothing. Nothing for them to stretch this battle out over the next ten, twenty, thirty years. They can be as patient as they like. This is a significant disadvantage on our part.

I could go on, but I'll wait to see what you have to say.

Cycloptichorn

It does cost them in people, supplies, and morale. Though the way we currently hold back and this talk of retreat they have hope which is bad. Did you read my private timeline solution. (maybe this thread or another). I don't think we should be there forever but start to move behind the Iraqis instead of in front of them (we have been in many provinces) and tell the iraqi gov privately to get thier azz in gear or we will be less involved and back out to less populated areas and only come back if something affects our interests.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:16 pm
Thanks for the response, I'm going to pick out a few points if that's cool. If I drop a point you think is important, remind me and we will discuss it.

Quote:

Its not tanks its terrorist attacks. Its also not really a religious issue but an economic one. Radical Islamic savegry tells the poor, uneducated, downtrodden types (though there has been exeptions to this 911 for example) that it is all the west's and Isreal's fault and gives them something to fight for, a scape goat.

When we are occupying their lands with force, we give legitimacy to the terrorists and radical Islaamists who say 'the US wants to occupy your lands by force and do away with your way of life.' We are doing exactly what the enemies told those in the middle we would do. This has given them more support then they ever could have gotten without us doing this.

Quote:
As for preventing attacks thats not quite what I mean. I think we have made it easier for those who want to play Jihad to do so in Iraq and distracted them from attacking over here significantly. I also believe that we have damaged the terrorist network and now have hordes of Jihadists not knowing what to do. This is a good thing.

Upon what facts do you base your beliefs that the terrorist network is 'damaged?' I'm curious, because it certainly seems that you have information that is counter to the assessments of our military and intelligence communities, who have been saying the exact opposite for some time now. Please be specific.

Quote:

Invade Irag (whether armed or politically), Become more bold in their nuclear ambitions to start. and reak havoc on the world oil market.

We can't stop them from invading Iraq politically, as if the people of Iraq wish to ally with Iran, they have every right to do exactly this.

I don't fear the 'havoc on the world oil market' as much as you seem to. If that's the greatest reason we aren't leaving Iraq, we should go. It isn't as if people who are pumping oil right now are going to stop, and neither Iraq nor Iran can force any other country to not sell to the US.

Quote:

2 Sept 1945 Japan surrenders and the occupation began and lasted until 8 September 1951. Thats 6 years and we were much more heavy handed than we were in Iraq.

I firmly believe that had we operated like we did in Iraq like we did in Japan this would take no longer than it did back then.

Comparisons to WW2 are not valid. Japan aggressively attacked America, had a unified, industrialized and imperialistic society, and there was practically no armed resistance once they capitulated. There is no valid comparison to this and the current situation we face, none whatsoever. The situations are completely different.

Quote:

They don't get training per say, they get combat experience. If you think they are happy now, imagine a retreat!

Why? The only reason they get such free reign in the country is the fact that at least some of the population supports them attacking the occupying forces. There is no reason to believe that the absence of the US would create more terrorism in Iraq.

When people talk about the terrorists taking over a 'failed state,' I always wonder upon what they base their judgments that this could ever happen. Terrorists cannot hold territory. They have no capability to conquer or take over anything whatsoever.

Combat experience is exactly what they need. Bomb-making experience is what they need. It's on the job training, and only the successful survive. Also, our presence and attempts to track them down help refine their strategies for hiding, for cellular formation and for both Asynchronous and Asymmetrical warfare.

Quote:

To get your quick victory we would need a draft and a very large occupation again, like we did in Japan. We are not willing to do that so this gets dragged out.. Though I know we will win it. Just not in the time of a 1/2 hour sitcom.

Upon what do you base your assumption that only 1% of the population is either fighting the US, giving money to those who fight, giving shelter to those who fight, or not turning in to the US those who fight? Please be specific.

AND, even if this is the true number - 1% - 1% of 16 million adults is 180,000 people. On top of this, what percentage are fighting against each other? Significantly more, and the groups overlap somewhat.

Even so, we are facing a huge force - who knows the territory - who can blend in with the civilian population - who can wait as long as necessary. This is not a recipe for success on our part. We have neither the money nor the manpower to effectively combat such a force.

You've already seen that tours are being increased to 15 and 18 months. It would take a significant increase in the size of our armed forces in order to increase the number of troops in Iraq to the point where they could be any more effective. And our pigheaded diplomacy pretty much ensures that we won't be able to get these troops from other countries, something which could have been done if we had made better choices years ago, diplomatically.

Quote:

Did you read the GQ article as to what Muslims do to gay arabs? Shocked Islam is not a tolerant religion at this point in history, Much the way Christians were way back when. The best solution to this is to bring them up to speed like you and I.

I don't care what the Muslims do to gays, it's ridiculous for us to be getting rid of gay armed forces translators who speak arabic!!! The fact that they are gay is trumped by their obvious critical role in our work over there, yet this has not stopped them from being fired.

I can't say that I'm surprised, but such things are signals of the deep and pervasive problems with the leadership of our armed forces, who put morality over practicality. Never a smart move!

Quote:

You are correct. War is hell and that should not be a reason to give up. There has to be a way.

Also note that most of Iraq is peaceful... so its not as dire as it sounds.

The first line is a slogan, because there does not in fact 'have' to be a way. Disorder and chaos is the natural state of humanity, not order and Rule of Law. There is no particular reason that we 'have' to have a successful path to victory at this point at all. Just wishful thinking.

I dispute the 'most of Iraq is peaceful' line. Most of Iraq is empty deserts. They are pretty peaceful. But the places which aren't backwoods country are universally not peaceful. With the possible exception of the Kurds, who may be facing war with Turkey any day now.

Quote:

It does cost them in people, supplies, and morale.

I disagree completely and would like to see where you draw your belief that this is true from. If they are gaining in money, recruits, and morale from us being there - which both the armed forces and the intelligence community agree they are - at a greater rate then we can kill them, they are not being cost anything.

There is no senior or important leader of AQ in Iraq. Why the hell would they go there? There isn't anyone in Iraq that we can kill which would significantly harm their organization outside of that country.

Quote:
Though the way we currently hold back and this talk of retreat they have hope which is bad. Did you read my private timeline solution. (maybe this thread or another). I don't think we should be there forever but start to move behind the Iraqis instead of in front of them (we have been in many provinces) and tell the iraqi gov privately to get thier azz in gear or we will be less involved and back out to less populated areas and only come back if something affects our interests.

Okay, so here's my question:

Today, you (and others such as Bush) say that if we leave, we will be emboldening the terrorists and inviting trouble at home.

But, if we follow your plan, and in two years things aren't any better, and we leave then - won't we be emboldening the enemy and inviting trouble at home?

The only difference between leaving now and later, is that you don't want to admit that we've lost the fight yet. This is not a rational position, and if you truly believe that we would be inviting trouble if we left, there is no difference between doing so today and in two years.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:48 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Thanks for the response, I'm going to pick out a few points if that's cool. If I drop a point you think is important, remind me and we will discuss it.

That is cool. I was going to suggest the same thing this post.

Quote:

When we are occupying their lands with force, we give legitimacy to the terrorists and radical Islaamists who say 'the US wants to occupy your lands by force and do away with your way of life.' We are doing exactly what the enemies told those in the middle we would do. This has given them more support then they ever could have gotten without us doing this.

Even when they topple a despotic regieme and get killed trying to protect you? Does that make one want to side with radical Islamisists?

Quote:

Upon what facts do you base your beliefs that the terrorist network is 'damaged?' I'm curious, because it certainly seems that you have information that is counter to the assessments of our military and intelligence communities, who have been saying the exact opposite for some time now. Please be specific.

NIE: Al Qaeda 'damaged,' becoming more scattered

This article talks about thier shift in strategy. It shows a level of desparation on thier part.

also we have killed most of Al Qaeda's leaders, Bin Laden is most likley dead (though may still be in hiding)...

People like Saddr are talking power instead of AQ goals

The shifted years ago from targeting US troops to mostly iraqis and other muslims.

This is speculation but there has not been a successful attack on US soil.

Quote:

Quote:

We can't stop them from invading Iraq politically, as if the people of Iraq wish to ally with Iran, they have every right to do exactly this.

IF they do. I don't think the average Iraqi wants an Islamic republic than most of the teens in Iran do.

Quote:

I don't fear the 'havoc on the world oil market' as much as you seem to. If that's the greatest reason we aren't leaving Iraq, we should go. It isn't as if people who are pumping oil right now are going to stop, and neither Iraq nor Iran can force any other country to not sell to the US.

Its about control. Look how we are a slave to OPEC now. The only near term solution is domestic drilling and refining.

Quote:

Quote:

Comparisons to WW2 are not valid. Japan aggressively attacked America, had a unified, industrialized and imperialistic society, and there was practically no armed resistance once they capitulated. There is no valid comparison to this and the current situation we face, none whatsoever. The situations are completely different.
Quote:

Quote:

Why? The only reason they get such free reign in the country is the fact that at least some of the population supports them attacking the occupying forces. There is no reason to believe that the absence of the US would create more terrorism in Iraq.

I think its more apathy and a attitude not to get involved.

Quote:
When people talk about the terrorists taking over a 'failed state,' I always wonder upon what they base their judgments that this could ever happen. Terrorists cannot hold territory. They have no capability to conquer or take over anything whatsoever.

You don't think a military victory of the terrorists would emerge a leader from thier ranks?

Quote:
Combat experience is exactly what they need. Bomb-making experience is what they need. It's on the job training, and only the successful survive. Also, our presence and attempts to track them down help refine their strategies for hiding, for cellular formation and for both Asynchronous and Asymmetrical warfare.

Would this be a reason in any war to retreat?

Quote:
Quote:

Upon what do you base your assumption that only 1% of the population is either fighting the US, giving money to those who fight, giving shelter to those who fight, or not turning in to the US those who fight? Please be specific.

I base the 1% on the amount of carnage they would cause. If it was even 1% it would be a lot worse than it is now. A lot worse.

Work with me here. The terrorists won how many battles? How many did the Americans win in the revolution? (less than 30% were for succession you know). If it was even 10% of the population in Iraq we would be in a lot more trouble. I can expound on this if you wish.

Quote:

AND, even if this is the true number - 1% - 1% of 16 million adults is 180,000 people. On top of this, what percentage are fighting against each other? Significantly more, and the groups overlap somewhat.

30k fighting.

Quote:
Even so, we are facing a huge force - who knows the territory - who can blend in with the civilian population - who can wait as long as necessary. This is not a recipe for success on our part. We have neither the money nor the manpower to effectively combat such a force.

Nor is it a recipe for success on thier part, Eventually the civies will get tired of being shields for the terrorists,

Quote:

You've already seen that tours are being increased to 15 and 18 months. It would take a significant increase in the size of our armed forces in order to increase the number of troops in Iraq to the point where they could be any more effective. And our pigheaded diplomacy pretty much ensures that we won't be able to get these troops from other countries, something which could have been done if we had made better choices years ago, diplomatically.

I agree we need(ed) more troops and a heavier hand.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't care what the Muslims do to gays, it's ridiculous for us to be getting rid of gay armed forces translators who speak arabic!!! The fact that they are gay is trumped by their obvious critical role in our work over there, yet this has not stopped them from being fired.

It is worse to many Muslims that we would employ a homosexual than having us there.

Quote:

I can't say that I'm surprised, but such things are signals of the deep and pervasive problems with the leadership of our armed forces, who put morality over practicality. Never a smart move!

at risk of being called a "Warmonger" This I agree with but they have to tailor the response to the society at large. They havent.

Quote:

Also note that most of Iraq is peaceful... so its not as dire as it sounds. [/quote]

The first line is a slogan, because there does not in fact 'have' to be a way. Disorder and chaos is the natural state of humanity, not order and Rule of Law. There is no particular reason that we 'have' to have a successful path to victory at this point at all. Just wishful thinking.
[/quote]

Laughing its more than a slogan, believe me.

So just pack up and say "bye?"

Quote:
I dispute the 'most of Iraq is peaceful' line. Most of Iraq is empty deserts. They are pretty peaceful. But the places which aren't backwoods country are universally not peaceful. With the possible exception of the Kurds, who may be facing war with Turkey any day now.

I am running out of time today. Ill catch up on this tommorrow. But yes density has something to do with it. Though not as much as you think.

Ill get the rest tommorrow (or prolly tuesday)

Quote:

Quote:

It does cost them in people, supplies, and morale.

I disagree completely and would like to see where you draw your belief that this is true from. If they are gaining in money, recruits, and morale from us being there - which both the armed forces and the intelligence community agree they are - at a greater rate then we can kill them, they are not being cost anything.

There is no senior or important leader of AQ in Iraq. Why the hell would they go there? There isn't anyone in Iraq that we can kill which would significantly harm their organization outside of that country.

Quote:
Though the way we currently hold back and this talk of retreat they have hope which is bad. Did you read my private timeline solution. (maybe this thread or another). I don't think we should be there forever but start to move behind the Iraqis instead of in front of them (we have been in many provinces) and tell the iraqi gov privately to get thier azz in gear or we will be less involved and back out to less populated areas and only come back if something affects our interests.

Okay, so here's my question:

Today, you (and others such as Bush) say that if we leave, we will be emboldening the terrorists and inviting trouble at home.

But, if we follow your plan, and in two years things aren't any better, and we leave then - won't we be emboldening the enemy and inviting trouble at home?

The only difference between leaving now and later, is that you don't want to admit that we've lost the fight yet. This is not a rational position, and if you truly believe that we would be inviting trouble if we left, there is no difference between doing so today and in two years.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies