Iraq attacks kill 9 U.S. troops

Zippo

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:51 am
Quote:
Iraq attacks kill 9 U.S. troops

By RAVI NESSMAN Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 05/23/2007 04:08:26 AM PDT

BAGHDAD- Roadside bombings and gunbattles across Iraq killed nine U.S. servicemen, and U.S. authorities were examining a body found in a river that Iraqi police believe is a U.S. soldier seized in an ambush nearly two weeks ago, officials said Wednesday.

U.S. authorities have not determined if the body found in the Euphrates River was one of three missing American soldiers from the May 12 ambush of their patrol near Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad. Four Americans and one Iraqi soldier were killed in that attack.

The military said seven soldiers and two Marines were killed in separate attacks Tuesday, bringing the U.S. death toll for the month to at least 80. Last month, 104 U.S. troops were killed in Iraq.

U.S. officials have warned that American casualties were likely to increase as troops made more frequent patrols during the three-month-old U.S.-led security crackdown in Baghdad.

Six of the soldiers were killed by roadside bombs and the seventh was killed by small arms fire. The military said only that the two Marines were killed in combat operations in Anbar province.

continued...

http://www.thecolumnists.com/dreyfack/dreyfack11art1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,162 • Replies: 57
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:53 am
Enemy combatant. Zippo goes to Gitmo.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:54 am
Fight em there or fight em here.

AQIZ is just waiting for the terrorists and the democrats to win.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:56 am
reverend hellh0und wrote:

Stupid to say such a thing.

You don't understand the nature of asynchronous warfare if you think that this is true.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:57 am
Supporting mass murder of our troops? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:58 am

Seems as though Iraq is having just the opposite effect, thanks to Bush.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:59 am
Zippo wrote:

That's what it sounds like. Keep our troops in Iraq to get slaughtered.

At least that's what these war mongerers seem to want.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:00 am
Zippo wrote:

Since when did you care about your fellow Iraqi insurgents?
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:00 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Stupid to say such a thing.

You don't understand the nature of asynchronous warfare if you think that this is true.

Cycloptichorn

Which point my second one which points to the very definition or the first one which is what they have done in the past and vow to do in the future?

Quote:
Bush: Bin Laden Ordered Non-Iraq Attacks

By DEB RIECHMANN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Seeking to rally support for the war, President Bush released intelligence asserting that Osama bin Laden in 2005 ordered creation of a terrorist unit to hit targets outside Iraq, including the United States.

The information, which Bush was to cite Wednesday in a commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, was declassified by the White House on Tuesday. It expands on a classified bulletin the Homeland Security Department issued in March 2005.

The bulletin, which warned that bin Laden had enlisted Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, his senior operative in Iraq, to plan potential strikes in the United States, was described at the time as credible but not specific. It did not prompt the administration to raise its national terror alert level.

Bush, who is battling Democrats in Congress over spending for the unpopular war in Iraq, will highlight U.S. successes in foiling terrorist plots and use the intelligence to argue that terrorists remain a threat to Americans, said Frances Fragos Townsend, the White House homeland security adviser.

Previewing the president's remarks in New London, Conn., Townsend said the declassified intelligence showed that in January 2005, bin Laden tasked al-Zarqawi with organizing the cell. Al-Zarqawi was killed in Iraq in June 2006 by a U.S. airstrike.

"We know from the intelligence community that al-Zarqawi welcomed the tasking and claimed he already had some good proposals," Townsend said.

Reading from notes, she said that in the spring of 2005, bin Laden instructed Hamza Rabia, a senior operative, to brief al-Zarqawi on al-Qaida plan to attack sites outside Iraq, including the United States. Townsend did not disclose where in the United States those attacks were being plotted.

Around the same time, Abu Fajah al-Libi, a senior al-Qaida manager, suggested that bin Laden send Rabia to Iraq to help al-Zarqawi plan the external operations, Townsend said. It is unclear whether Rabia went to Iraq, she said.

She said the information was declassified because the intelligence community has tracked all leads from the information, and that the players were either dead or in U.S. custody.

The Bush White House in the past has declassified and made public sensitive intelligence information to help rebut critics or defend programs or decisions against possibly adverse decisions in the Congress or the courts. On a few occasions, the declassified materials were intended to be proof that terrorists see Iraq as a critical staging ground for global operations.

0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:02 am
Dookiestix wrote:

Seems as though Iraq is having just the opposite effect, thanks to Bush.

So lets review. YOu think Bush is at fault for Muslims saying that suicide bombings are cool?

How dumb.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:02 am
Quote:

This idiotic comment.

Asynchronous warfare means that fighting them there does not prevent them from fighting us here. They aren't pinned down. The Iraq war doesn't cost them money and lose them troops. Quite the opposite, in fact.

So it's a ridiculous thing to say, really.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:03 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Zippo wrote:

That's what it sounds like. Keep our troops in Iraq to get slaughtered.

At least that's what these war mongerers seem to want.

Its better than what the cowards want. Have us on defense surrenduring to radical islam. Peace be upon you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:04 am
Quote:
Since when did you care about your fellow Iraqi insurgents?

Why should i need to care about Iraqi insurgents, when Bush (Americas greatest chimp) Promised to liberate them?

Bush & Co said they will throw flowers.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:08 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

This idiotic comment.

Asynchronous warfare means that fighting them there does not prevent them from fighting us here. They aren't pinned down. The Iraq war doesn't cost them money and lose them troops. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Cycloptichorn

Perhaps Reverend HellH0und is clueless to the fact that we're already fighting them here, and may be in for more of a surprise as the blowback continues.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:09 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

This idiotic comment.

Cycloptichorn

OOOH you failed.

the term "asynchronous warfare" refers to:

Quote:
Asynchronous warfare …

http://www.defenselink.mil/speeches/speech.aspx?speechid=336

As to fighting them over there vs. here argument you are wrong too. IF I have a beach house in Hawaii along with the one I have in Long Beach Island (one is 14+ hours away the other (lbi) is 1.5 hours away) which one do you think I will use more?

They flocked to iraq. AQIZ is responsible for many if not most of the attacks on US troops and attemps to spark a civil war. A failed state will provide a home base for these savages.

Simple logistics.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:11 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

This idiotic comment.

Cycloptichorn

Perhaps Reverend HellH0und is clueless to the fact that we're already fighting them here, and may be in for more of a surprise as the blowback continues.

No, some of us are fighting them here. Others are bitching and whining every step of the way trying to impead this struggle. :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:13 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

This idiotic comment.

Cycloptichorn

No, some of us are fighting them here. Others are bitching and whining every step of the way trying to impead this struggle. :wink:

really? It seems to me that typing on the keyboard isn't the same thing as fighting.

Really tough guys don't need guns, btw. Only weak people do. You may want to change your avatar to match the image you try and project online, b/c it's kind of silly at the moment.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:16 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

This idiotic comment.

Cycloptichorn

really? It seems to me that typing on the keyboard isn't the same thing as fighting.

Really tough guys don't need guns, btw. Only weak people do. You may want to change your avatar to match the image you try and project online, b/c it's kind of silly at the moment.

Cycloptichorn

Nah, he's only trying to compensate for something else. Notice his homophobic commentary a few posts back as well.

It's narciccism run amok.

Looks like that "fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here" has turned out to be a crock of sh!t, and may be the exact opposite; the more we bomb Middle Eastern countries, the more we threaten our way of life right here at home.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:24 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I fought for my country both as a USAF TACP and worked as a contractor before contractring was cool. Tell me boy, where and when did you serve?

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Now thats an "idiotic statment" Laughing

I don't recall ever portraying a "tough guy" image. Perhaps you can quote me and show me... Or are you simply making **** up because you are intellectually bankrupt and don't want to discuss the topics?

You don't know me so what does that say about you and your attempt at internet Machismo here? Should I call you weak and a wanna be tough guy for "calling me out"? I mean should the Good Reverend get upset that some yellow bellied liberal out in Berkley does not like my avatar? I mean how tough is it to attack someone's "toughness" on the interweb especially when your target never talked about his supposed toughness?

Please you are pathetic. I am an have always been willing to discuss any topic with anyone but it seems that round here certain tools want to make it all about how big the Good Reverend's cod piece is.

Get a life man. get a life. You too Dookie...

Cycle, Was it cause I waxed military demonstrating your ignorance that you got so upset? Laughing
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:30 am
Reverend HellH0und wrote:
Please you are pathetic. I am an have always been willing to discuss any topic with anyone but it seems that round here certain tools want to make it all about how big the Good Reverend's cod piece is.

Laughing

Sounds like that's the topic you wish to discuss, not others on this forum, as you keep bringing it up.
0 Replies