severe cramps...help!

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:29 pm
im 23 and have been suffering from painful menstrual cramps ever since i first started at 13. the only thing that helps is tons and tons of ibuprophen...i know that cant be safe to consume soo much.. my bf is afraid ill overdose. but they are so severe i have no choice. it feels like millions of knifes stabbing my stomache.

i went to a gynocologist about 6 months ago...she didnt really help. just put me on birth control (ortho tri-cyclen). i went back after 3 months, told her it wasnt helping my cramps, and she just switched me to ortho-cyclen and sent me on my way. im really disspointed that the bc isnt working. i had read alot about it and was excited to try it thinking id finally be pain free. but i should of known...what helps other people with cramps, does not help me. i tried exercise, heating pads...drinking water...ive tried it all. im suffering as i type this because my bf doesnt want me take anymore ibuprophen...

i need some advice...i dont want to be in pain anymore Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,066 • Replies: 26
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 09:37 pm
Don't let your boyfriend dictate what you should do for yourself. Check into safe levels of ibuprofen - check medical websites. Keep trying the birth control pills. They did help me. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes you need to find the right one.

Sorry for your pain.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 11:46 pm
This may be stuff you already know about, but it looked like there might be a couple other things to try:

http://www.medicinenet.com/menstrual_cramps/article.htm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 07:03 am
Justagirly--

Welcome to A2K.

Do you consider yourself physically fit? I'm a natural born couch potato myself--and well past the Curse of Eve as a regular monthly event, but I know that toned muscles and an efficient circulatory system can cut the agony of menstrual cramps.

For the next month try to put in at least twenty minutes a day either walking or exercising your abs and thighs.

There are no guarantees, but at least you'll wind up a bit fitter.

After a first baby, menstrual cramps often disappear. I'd guess that right now exercise is more convenient for you.

Good luck.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 07:10 am
I was going to say exercise but you say you already do exercise.
I also agree re the contraceptive pill, you may need to try a few before you find one that works for you.
The first pill I was on made me seriously depressed!!

Ive put on weight over the last couple of years.I didnt get period pains since Ive been taking the pill(except headaches which go away with tablets)but the last few months Ive had 1 day of major pain each month when I have my period.I can only assume its affected by my weight.

Im even considering exercise!!!

I hope yuo find something that works for yuo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:12 am
Good link by Username...

(I was one of the ones who vomitted with my cramps. Have thrown up in all the best places.. Wish they knew then what they know now about prostaglandins. Anyway, bc pills helped me.)
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:15 pm
littlek wrote:
Don't let your boyfriend dictate what you should do for yourself. Check into safe levels of ibuprofen - check medical websites. Keep trying the birth control pills. They did help me. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes you need to find the right one.

Sorry for your pain.

thank you for your concern...i dont think hes trying to dictate what i do to myself, he just cares about me and is just looking out for me..sometimes im not the smartest cookie. but ill show him the link where it says the maximum dose is 1.2 g daily Smile
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:18 pm
username wrote:
This may be stuff you already know about, but it looked like there might be a couple other things to try:

http://www.medicinenet.com/menstrual_cramps/article.htm

thank you so much username, that website has soo much good info!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:25 pm
I had that same pain you describe before I had my son and the only thing that worked for me was midol. I tried all the other over the counter stuff and nothing until I found midol.
By the sound of it, you probebly already tried that and it didn't work for you Sad , but if you haven't tried it, by any chance, I'd give it a shot.

Good luck to you! There was a time I felt your pain and even though it was over 20 years ago, I'll never forget how much I suffered.
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:26 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Justagirly--

Welcome to A2K.

Do you consider yourself physically fit? I'm a natural born couch potato myself--and well past the Curse of Eve as a regular monthly event, but I know that toned muscles and an efficient circulatory system can cut the agony of menstrual cramps.

For the next month try to put in at least twenty minutes a day either walking or exercising your abs and thighs.

There are no guarantees, but at least you'll wind up a bit fitter.

After a first baby, menstrual cramps often disappear. I'd guess that right now exercise is more convenient for you.

Good luck.

thank you for the friendly welcome!
i guess no im not physically fit, i used to be but family and co-workers always tried to get me to gain more weight. but when i was excercising daily it did not help me. one time at the gym i tried to work out through horrible cramps but had to stop because it felt like i was going to pass out. but youre right, an efficient circulatory system is something i definately dont have. my hands, arms, feet, legs are always falling asleep.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:31 pm
Estrostep was the birth control that REALLY helped me. Prior birth control worked ok but gradually I became worse and worse in my emotional symptoms, to the point of snapping like a twig at everything.

Ask your doctor about Estrostep. It took my 4-5 day periods on Ortho Cyclen to 3 days. I barely had any PMS.

Good luck... I too was reduced to a quivering mass in bed when I was in high school, prior to taking bc....Midol or Pamperin helped. So did laying there an moaning, I think. :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:44 pm
I remember I'd get in the fetal position and just rock back and forth, crying like a baby. It was terrible, to say the least!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 04:05 pm
Justagirly--

You have to exercise all month, not just when the Red Tide flows--but you're still welcome on A2K.
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:53 pm
i know. i did not say i only excercised during that certain time of the month.
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:53 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Justagirly--

You have to exercise all month, not just when the Red Tide flows--but you're still welcome on A2K.

i know. i did not say i only excercised during that certain time of the month, i was just giving an example.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:18 pm
Justagirly--

Sorry to misinterpret.
0 Replies

justagirly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:28 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Justagirly--

Sorry to misinterpret.

its ok.. Cool

hey how do i delete my double post??
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 06:59 am
justagirly--

Sorry. Now that I've posted, you can't.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 07:29 am
BC didn't work for me, and made me sick as a dog. Not to mention it didn't function as a proper contraceptive! Anyhow.

Exercise isn't some foo-foo side recommendation. It can make all the difference in the world. My periods used to be agonizing. They still are if I am not watching myself closely.

What works for me, through trial and error and lots of days of pain:
Serious commitment to exercise.
Track your period (mine was irregular since I got it, lots of complications, only regulated in this last year or two and I am 27). Tracking it lets you know about when to:
Cut caffeine
Soak up extra water
Take Tylenol or your drug of choice that helps BEFORE your period hits. 2-3 days before - two times a day. Helps tonnes.

Do light exercise the day before your period comes, and the day it first appears. Light is some long walk, stretches or yoga, a little swim.
Take a long warm shower, eat low fat low protein that week or however long your period last. Eat lots of bannanas for potassium, have some red meat.

Take a specifially formulated woman's vitamin.

Orgasm regularly. Smile Whatever your signs are that your period is coming, that is the time to jump your boyfriend. Before the pain starts.

I used to smoke a lot. That makes a big difference. Though I didn't quit for a long time there, I tried to cut back before and during the old pain time. It does help.
So if you smoke, even if it's too hard to quit right now, just taper before and during your period.

As for drugs, extra strength Tylenol is my friend. The key is to really kick everything in gear BEFORE the pain hits. It's worth it.

Hope you get some relief soon.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 06:56 am
Ok, I so do not miss periods.
0 Replies