Jerry Falwell dead

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:15 pm
Blessed relief or generic no-name relief?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:17 pm
Paul Newman's Own "Sorce of Relief".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:30 pm
Solar Radiation and Climate Experiment?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:39 pm
Good point. We'd all be lost without "u", Chmly.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:52 pm
A lot of class being shown in this thread. At least from Snood, Eorl, and Squinney.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 10:55 pm
Without "l" there would be no reason to fear evil, right Eor?
Without "l" there you'd be relegated to the position of an ass right Eeyore?

Good humors!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 12:04 am
Most interesting to see how folks line up here.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 12:50 am
littlek wrote:
I have rarely felt so little sadness for a human's passing.

That's probably the best way to put it without getting mean. Littlek is a nicer person than I am.

Snood wrote:
Sorry - my opinion.

Although I don't share your opinion, it certainly is nothing to be sorry for. You're making sense.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 01:44 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Poor Falwel- the recipient of vicious attacks- after all he's done. Sad sad sad -

Now edgar, that's just disingenuous and intellectually dishonest to pretend that's what's being said here. You know damm good and well I wasn't saying that. What's sad is what motivates people to the circle-jerk-and-spit on his grave. I don't mourn that man's absence, but I won't waste smoking a cigar to that, but to things like my baby due in January, being alive to witness a viable black candidate in the presidential election, having the opportunity to get a graduate degree...

I think people don't do themselves any service by gloating over the passing of a bad man. I wouldn't have honored Hitler, and I don't honor Falwell.

This is from a blog by Russell Shaw:

As many of my colleague HuffPo bloggers have written today, Jerry Falwell said and believed some mean things. The Ciintons were murderers, God did not hear prayers from Jews, our nation's embrace of evil, Satanic ways prompted the same God to be AWOL on 9/11, etc.

I was and am not a fan of Rev.Falwell's either. But the truth is that unlike so many other clergy, he said what he believed and nurtured an admiring congregation by living and advocating as he believed.

The fact that what Falwell believed and espoused was 100% polar opposite from what we think may have tied our brains in knots and made us feel rage. He sure had that affect on me.

But I am not dancing on his grave tonight.

For to do so would stoop down to his level, and also leave we liberals open to charges that we lack humanity.

Let the man be buried, and his loving family mourn.
Then, rather than rag on his memory, go forward in the guidance of our better angels.

Use our hearts, minds, and our communications skills to maybe get some of his flock to moderate their tone a bit, while teaching-not haranguing- those who may have been tempted by Rev. Falwell's words to know that there is a kinder, gentler, and quite likely more mindful way to walk through this world he left behind today.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:09 am
xingu wrote:
Ya, I can picture them coming back as polar bears.

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/2128.jpg

watch it chump....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:14 am
Ticomaya wrote:
A lot of class being shown in this thread. At least from Snood, Eorl, and Squinney.

so happy you approve... i'm sure that's what snood, eorl and squinney were thinking of..... your approval.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 04:36 am
Yes.
It is untoward to seek ill of the dead, especially those still a bit warm.

It is unlike us.

Still, I look at my nation and wonder what it would be like had the subject of this thread not existed.

Joe(where the dickens is Dickens when you need him?)Nation
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 04:46 am
As a Jew, I have no love for Fallwell, but if I weren't, I'd still hold the same contempt for him. His moment of power had passed as he squandered his power. His conservative influence may have helped Reagan and the Bushes as well as many conservative candidates get elected, but look where that advanced civilization.

There's something special about someone who calls a Jew the anti-Christ and that he is most likely living today - not to mention what he said after 9/11 about gays, liberals etc., being responsible for the attacks.

May he roast in the hottest part of Hell. After all, it's been 24 hours since he passed on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 04:51 am
I've said my say. I meant what I said. Don't intend to waste more time arguing it. Now I'm off the thread.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 04:59 am
God vetoed him!
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:03 am
Ragman wrote:
As a Jew, I have no love for Fallwell...

"Jews can get to heaven without being converted to Christianity" ~ Jerry Falwell

Say that again ?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:58 am
snood wrote:
Damn, y'all. How much class or character does it take to trash someone when they die?

I mean, I know - I know. He did mean ****. But I get a creepy feeling from you guys when you basically dance and pee on the grave like this.

I think that it is the height of hypocrisy when one despises someone when alive, but praises him to the skies after he dies.

My ex MIL hated one of her nephews. She used any pretext to say something nasty about him. Then he dropped dead, at a rather young age. From that time on, you would have thought that, according to my MIL, the guy should have been canonized.

I am very consistent. If I think someone is an SOB when alive, my opinion of him won't change after he is dead. I am not sorry that Falwell is dead. I hope that his death will mark the end of an era where religion in inappropriately insinuated into government.

Snood- I am curious. You may be a bit young, but how did you feel about Hitler's death? or Stalin's? Or any of the serial killers? What is it about death that makes you feel uncomfortable about people feeling good about a particular person's demise?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 06:19 am
BM
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 06:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
snood wrote:
Damn, y'all. How much class or character does it take to trash someone when they die?

I mean, I know - I know. He did mean ****. But I get a creepy feeling from you guys when you basically dance and pee on the grave like this.

I think that it is the height of hypocrisy when one despises someone when alive, but praises him to the skies after he dies.

My ex MIL hated one of her nephews. She used any pretext to say something nasty about him. Then he dropped dead, at a rather young age. From that time on, you would have thought that, according to my MIL, the guy should have been canonized.

I am very consistent. If I think someone is an SOB when alive, my opinion of him won't change after he is dead. I am not sorry that Falwell is dead. I hope that his death will mark the end of an era where religion in inappropriately insinuated into government.

Snood- I am curious. You may be a bit young, but how did you feel about Hitler's death? or Stalin's? Or any of the serial killers? What is it about death that makes you feel uncomfortable about people feeling good about a particular person's demise?

Phoenix, I agree that it's hypocrisy to despise someone in life and praise the same person in death. I don't see anyone doing that here. I didn't see anyone on this thread say a kind word about the man--in life or in death.

It seems to me that the issue is divided along the lines of those who are glad he's dead and those who are not. I'm not sorry he's dead, but I can't say (try as I might) that I'm glad he's dead. I am glad that he won't be around to spew the poison he spewed or to exert the influence he exerted.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 06:53 am
Quote:
I'm not sorry he's dead, but I can't say (try as I might) that I'm glad he's dead. I am glad that he won't be around to spew the poison he spewed or to exert the influence he exerted.

Roberta- You say that you are glad that he won't be around, etc..................... Is that not tantamount to saying that you are glad he is dead, but in a very polite way? If he were not dead, he would still be "around"!
0 Replies