Jerry Falwell dead

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 06:34 pm
I do give credit to jerry where it's due and he spoke truth when he said;
Quote:
Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I know snood looks like the fun police, but I'm with him this time. I mean a life is a life, you know. Every early death is sad to me.

3,000 dead on 9-11 and Jerry said;

Quote:
"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians ... the A.C.L.U., People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.'"

-- Jerry Falwell, September 13th, on The 700 Club about last week's terrorist attacks

I too piss on his grave.

Did any of the 3000 share Jerry's beliefs? If so, that should reduce the extent of the tragedy, as their deaths are good for the world?

This kind of cruel hatred is more in line with his way of thinking than the oppposite.

I'd rather fight the message than the messenger. I imagine his children will cry as much as mine would.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:18 pm
Our response is to hatred. Naturally, we don't respect such a person.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:23 pm
I respect you alot edgar. But I think one disrespects himself when he does things like make fun of the dead.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:28 pm
I'm with Snood on this one, but I can't really explain why. Just seems wrong. Maybe that's another thread...

'cept I'm not really here. I left A2K.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:46 pm
The man represents a force that is taking the lives of countless innocent people. I won't budge where he is concerned.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:51 pm
Polar bears do golden showers?

xingu wrote:
Ya, I can picture them coming back as polar bears.

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/2128.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:56 pm
I think we should let Jerry speak for himself:

On AIDS: "AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals."

On homosexuality: "I believe that all of us are born heterosexual, physically created with a plumbing that's heterosexual, and created with the instincts and desires that are basically, fundamentally, heterosexual. But I believe that we have the ability to experiment in every direction. Experimentation can lead to habitual practice, and then to a lifestyle. But I don't believe anyone begins a homosexual."

On Martin Luther King Jr.: "I must personally say that I do question the sincerity and non-violent intentions of some civil rights leaders such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mr. James Farmer, and others, who are known to have left-wing associations."

On Martin Luther King Jr., four decades later: "You know, I supported Martin Luther King Jr., who did practice civil disobedience."

On public education: "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again, and Christians will be running them."

On the separation of church and state: "There is no separation of church and state."

On feminists: "I listen to feminists and all these radical gals. ... These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men; that's their problem."

On global warming: "I can tell you, our grandchildren will laugh at those who predicted global warming. We'll be in global cooling by then, if the Lord hasn't returned. I don't believe a moment of it. The whole thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability."

On Bishop Desmond Tutu: "I think he's a phony, period, as far as representing the black people of South Africa."

On Islam: "I think Mohammed was a terrorist. I read enough of the history of his life, written by both Muslims and non-Muslims, that he was a violent man, a man of war."

On Jews: "In my opinion, the Antichrist will be a counterfeit of the true Christ, which means that he will be male and Jewish, since Jesus was male and Jewish."

Rest in peace, you blowhard.

Joe(what an idiot)Nation
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:02 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The man represents a force that is taking the lives of countless innocent people. I won't budge where he is concerned.

Is the force that the man represents the entirety of the man?

------------

"It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many." J.R.R. Tolkien.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:37 pm
I feel sad for him that he was so full of hatred and prejudice, and I wonder where it stemmed from?

I think it is a good thing for the world, in all likelihood, that he is no longer able to spread his internal unhappiness around, but I still feel sad for him, all those he hurt, and for those who loved him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:44 pm
Eorl wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Is the force that the man represents the entirety of the man?

------------

"It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many." J.R.R. Tolkien.

I don't give a crap if he was kind to his wife or had a pet dog.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:48 pm
Thank goodness for Dys and Gus. This is no time for politeness, Snood. The truth needs to be expressed, namely that Falwell was an evil man. If his theology were right he is probably looking up at us right now wondering why we are so relieved by his death.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:49 pm
I feel like I've gotta try to clarify what I am trying to say, for anyone interested...

I think Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are not good people. I think they foment division and hate and do it consciously - I think they have hearts the size of peas and egos the size of planets. I think if they just never opened their mouths again, the world would be a cleaner more pleasant place. I dislike them. I'd like to punch them both in the mouth, and I think I would enjoy that heartily.

If either of those men died right now, I would derive no pleasure in telling you what scum they were, or how I hope they are rotting in some kind of hell. I wouldn't find any pleasure in fondly assassinating their character for posterity. I would take heart in knowing their influence would cease to be felt in this world to the degree it had been, and fight the fights of the living among the living.

I think its ghoulish and sort of cowardly to be capering about like little boys and thumping one's chest bellowing good riddances. Standing there in the wake of their departure slapping high fives and saying "What an ass" -I think it doesn't speak well of those doing it.

When those on A2K whom I sincerely dislike cease to exist in this world, all the revenge I need to take will be in bidding them adieu silently.

Sorry - my opinion.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:31 pm
Falwell was one of the most powerful men in US politics, he galvanized and coalesced the religious right into the powerful force it is today. He not only brought the religious right into the forefront, he gave them their set of common idealizations from pro-life to pro-death penalty to pro-prayer in schools.

The Republican part would likely look quite different if it was not for Falwell. Presidents like Reagan and both Bushes have relied heavily on his power and influence either directly or indirectly.

May the hypocritical homophobic prejudiced manipulative scumbag rot in hell for all I care.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:34 pm
Any word yet on whether Fred Phelps and his circus are going to protest at the funeral ?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:46 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Thank goodness for Dys and Gus. This is no time for politeness, Snood. The truth needs to be expressed, namely that Falwell was an evil man. If his theology were right he is probably looking up at us right now wondering why we are so relieved by his death.

Now, that surprises me more than anything I've seen here, possibly ever. JLNobody grabbing a torch and pitchfork and joining the crowd. Wow. Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:47 pm
I have rarely felt so little sadness for a human's passing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:50 pm
Poor Falwel- the recipient of vicious attacks- after all he's done. Sad sad sad -
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:52 pm
Eorl,
I'm disappointed that you did not find my post also surprising, couldn't you just try?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:59 pm
I'm somewhat relieved that you are disappointed Chumly. :wink:
0 Replies