Jerry Falwell dead

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:28 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Laughing Maybe God created man with the propensity for belief. What say you?

While you're at it, why don't you post a study that shows God doesn't exist? That'll prove it once and for all.

Again with the prove the negative crowd. Rolling Eyes

Are you saying the study doesn't exist?

He's possibly pointing out the logical impossibility of proving a negative ...

Really? The number one is not equal to the number two. Adolf Hitler did not watch American Idol on television last night. Bill Gates did not discover the theory of relativity.

Want more? I got a million of them.

the rabbit wrote:
... but I have faith that you knew that.

I find that hard to believe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:32 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Laughing Maybe God created man with the propensity for belief. What say you?

While you're at it, why don't you post a study that shows God doesn't exist? That'll prove it once and for all.

Again with the prove the negative crowd. Rolling Eyes

Are you saying the study doesn't exist?

Really? The number one is not equal to the number two. Adolf Hitler did not watch American Idol on television last night. Bill Gates did not discover the theory of relativity.

the rabbit wrote:
... but I have faith that you knew that.

I find that hard to believe.

a. Really. Truly. Gospel truth.

b. That's why you have to have faith.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:47 pm
dlowan wrote:

If you're suggesting I need to have faith that the rabbit is correct, I'm afraid that ship has long since sailed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:50 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:

If you're suggesting I need to have faith that the rabbit is correct, I'm afraid that ship has long since sailed.

Oh ye of little faith!!!! You're so gonna be the seven virgins without the lamp oil, or whatever it is. Or was that dwarves?

I take it your dislike of me means that you no longer acknowledge logic? As in the "you can't prove a negative" thing? I am confused on that one.

BTW...do you consider "Rabbit" a terrible insult?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:57 pm
It's all in perception, this people are haters thing. Rightwingers accuse left wingers of being filled with hatred. Funny thing is, left wingers go around perceiving that right wingers are filled with hatred. I know I've thought so for over forty years.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's all in perception, this people are haters thing. Rightwingers accuse left wingers of being filled with hatred. Funny thing is, left wingers go around perceiving that right wingers are filled with hatred. I know I've thought so for over forty years.

Hatred is a human failing, in my view, not one that belongs to left, or right or pink and yellow, for that matter.

I see Jerry as a sad, damaged man who needed to hate.

I was listening to a discussion about him yesterday, led by an American christian of some stripe or other.

He said Jerry began on the blacks, after the civil rights movement, actually, to his credit, got beyond that, but, of course, had to find other targets.

Seems he ended up on gays and feminists.

Same rhetoric, same hate, but the targets changed from time to time.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:04 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Oh ye of little faith!!!! You're so gonna be the seven virgins without the lamp oil, or whatever it is. Or was that dwarves?

I take it your dislike of me means that you no longer acknowledge logic? As in the "you can't prove a negative" thing? I am confused on that one.

Who says I dislike you? I just don't think you're correct.

What are you confused about? You said you can't prove a negative statement, and I responded by uttering three negative sentences. Do you find any of the three unprovable?

Quote:

No ... do you? What makes you think I was trying to insult you? Are you feeling a tad paranoid?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:06 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Who says I dislike you? I just don't think you're correct.

What are you confused about? You said you can't prove a negative statement, and I responded by uttering three negative sentences. Do you find any of the three unprovable?

Quote:

No ... do you? What makes you think I was trying to insult you? Are you feeling a tad paranoid?

Lol...ok, let me be clearer for you.

You can't prove that something doesn't exist.

I was interested in the Rabbit thing because you used it, and I was wondering if you believed it insulting for some reason, yes.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
I was interested in the Rabbit thing because you used it, and I was wondering if you believed it insulting for some reason, yes.

It's a term of endearment. Think of Pooh Bear talking to his friend Rabbit.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:40 am
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I am constantly amazed at the hate leftists have for those who do not share their views.

The hate you've seen here at Falwell - ie, the wish to see him dead - is no greater than the hate Falwell had for godless gays etc - whom he wished to see suffering in hell eternally.

Considering the equibalance between those who crowd here to rejoice over Falwell's death and the conservative masses who crowded to Fallwell to cheer him on when he doomed opponents to hell, it's odd you should specify leftists as being the haters.

How so? I'm convinced Christians have the capacity to hate, and I've not condoned Falwell or his actions or positions with regard to condemning anyone to hell.

"How so"? I pointed out something simple enough.

Here's a thread about Jerry Falwell and his death. It's seen posts specifying the hateful things Falwell wished upon his opponents, and it's seen posts specifying the hate Falwell's opponents have for him.

Your conclusion: "I am constantly amazed at the hate leftists have for those who do not share their views" (my emphasis). Odd, no? Strangely selective perception?

Of course, if I were feeling flippant, I could come up with an unexpectedly charitative interpretation of how you singled out the leftists as those whose hating doesnt cease to amaze you.. Hey, perhaps you meant that, you know, Falwell's followers' hating doesnt surprise you in the least, but you'd expected better of leftists!

I somehow doubt it though.. Razz

The problem is not that people hate. I think hate can be a normal and healthy emotion when the target is appropriate.

My assertion that Jerry Falwell was "hate-filled" was not, in and of itself, my criticism. It was the qualifier "bigot" that was important.

To hate something that is evil (i.e. prejudice) is a very good thing. It movtivates us to action.

To hate individuals just because they exist (i.e. homosexuals) is a very bad thing.

You cannot equate the root of the hate of Falwell and the root of the left's reciprocal emotion. To say, "Well, you both hate each other, so you're both wrong, hypocrites, the same, etc." is such a cop out.

A rapist thrown in jail can hate the jurors who put him there. That doesn't mean his feelings need to be validated.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Really? The number one is not equal to the number two.

That would depend on context.

1 pair does indeed equal 2 shoes. 1 marriage does indeed equal 2 people. 1 scrotum does indeed contain 2 testicles.

Want more, I got a million of em.

Quote:
Adolf Hitler did not watch American Idol on television last night.

There could be TVs in heaven. Or there could be such a thing as ghosts and he could have watched it. Prove me wrong.

Want more, I got a million of em.

Quote:

Bill Gates did not discover the theory of relativity.

He may have discovered it on page 37 of his science book.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:27 am
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Really? The number one is not equal to the number two. Adolf Hitler did not watch American Idol on television last night.

You cant prove that Adolf Hitler did not watch American Idol on television last night.

There can be no study proving that Adolf Hitler did not watch American Idol on television last night.

Much the same like one cant prove God does not exist. And with about the same import.

That was our whole point. (Duh.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:29 am
In fact, the thesis about Hitler would depend upon an assumption that Hitler is dead. I know of no reliable evidence that Hitler is dead, or that anyone has ever produced his earthly remains. But i'm sure Tico can enlighten us.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:30 am
By the way, does this invoke Godwin's law, or has Hitler been previously mentioned in this thread?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:33 am
Setanta wrote:
In fact, the thesis about Hitler would depend upon an assumption that Hitler is dead. I know of no reliable evidence that Hitler is dead, or that anyone has ever produced his earthly remains. But i'm sure Tico can enlighten us.

Maybe Hitler can't die. Maybe he was blessed by the creator with one of those 800 year long life spans like there were in the OT. Maybe he rose from the dead like Jesus.

No one can PROVE that it's NOT true.

I'll admit, it's about as likely to be true as a personal god is likely to be true, but it's fun to imagine these things, much in the same way it's fun to think I'm going to heaven. Probably wrong of course, but fun.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:09 am
I think it is now appropriate to invoke The Celestial Teapot

Reposted from Wikipedia.org

Russell's teapot, sometimes called the Celestial Teapot, was an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872-1970), intended to refute the idea that the burden of proof lies upon the sceptic to disprove unfalsifiable claims of religions. In an article entitled "Is There a God?", commissioned (but never published) by Illustrated magazine in 1952, Russell said the following:

"If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time."

In his book A Devil's Chaplain, Richard Dawkins developed the teapot theme a little further:

"The reason organized religion merits outright hostility is that, unlike belief in Russell's teapot, religion is powerful, influential, tax-exempt and systematically passed on to children too young to defend themselves. Children are not compelled to spend their formative years memorizing loony books about teapots. Government-subsidized schools don't exclude children whose parents prefer the wrong shape of teapot. Teapot-believers don't stone teapot-unbelievers, teapot-apostates, teapot-heretics and teapot-blasphemers to death. Mothers don't warn their sons off marrying teapot-shiksas whose parents believe in three teapots rather than one. People who put the milk in first don't kneecap those who put the tea in first."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:23 am
I think Bertrand Russell was a figment of Adolf Hitler's imagination.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:38 am
maporsche wrote:
. . .
Quote:

There could be TVs in heaven. Or there could be such a thing as ghosts and he could have watched it. Prove me wrong.
. . .
Heaven?
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:00 am
neologist wrote:
maporsche wrote:
. . .
Quote:

. . .
Heaven?

Prove that Hitler isn't in heaven.

Unless you're claiming to understand god's plan so intimately that you can enlighten us yourself.

Oh, but wait... we're not supposed to understand god's plan.

How do you know god didn't send Hitler as a messiah to rid the earth of those who refused to appreciate what his son did for this planet?

Again... just wondering.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:14 am
neologist wrote:
maporsche wrote:
. . .
Quote:

. . .
Heaven?

Maybe God hates the Jews. Or maybe God prefers White people.

He obviously prefers America over Africa or the Middle East.

Maybe Hitler asked for Jesus to forgive him and save his soul, and maybe he really meant it. The bible says that that is all it takes. God is not only all vendictive, but all forgiving as well. God can have it both ways apparently.

Prove me wrong, and do with without judging a person's heart.
0 Replies