ask for your help!

graham2007

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:39 am
btw: dadpad, your analysis about bellybutton economics is reasonable!
roberta, thank you for keep on eying my post, answering my questions.
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:44 am
Like having a film star next to you on your flight from the Coast. There are treats of high order, adventure like cash in the street.
roberta, help me,please! there is a relationship between the treats and adventure? cash in the street means one may has possibility to pick up a wallet(containing lots of money)?
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:59 am
closed-for-the-holiday bank---refer to the bank open on working day, while close on holidays??
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:15 am
graham2007 wrote:
btw: dadpad, your analysis about bellybutton economics is reasonable!
roberta, thank you for keep on eying my post, answering my questions.

Keeping an eye on my post and anwering my questions.

1.Phooey on the First Families
what's the first family?
2.that change the maps and landscapes and alter the mobility patterns, your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare. what change??the maps and landscapes means what?
3.your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare---this really puzzled me!!

HAS ME PUZZLED TOO

closed-for-the-holiday bank-
CLOSED FOR THE BANK HOLIDAY

Prior to 1834, the Bank of England observed about thirty-three saints' days and religious festivals as holidays, but in 1834, this was reduced to just four: 1 May, 1 November, Good Friday, and Christmas Day.
A bank holiday is a public holiday in the United Kingdom and also in the Republic of Ireland. Although there is no legal right to time off on these days, the majority of the population not employed in essential services (e.g. utilities, fire, ambulance, police, health-care workers) receive them as holidays; those employed in essential services usually receive extra pay for working on these days. Bank holidays are so called because they are days upon which banks are shut and therefore (traditionally) no other businesses could operate.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 02:40 pm
graham2007 wrote:
Quote:
Phooey on the First Families. On railroad, steel mill, automotive, public utility, banking and shipping fortunes, on all hermetic legacy, morganatic and blockbuster blood-lines that change the maps and landscapes and alter the mobility patterns, your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare.

1.Phooey on the First Families
what's the first family? THE FIRST FAMILY IN THE US REFERS TO THE PRESIDENT AND HIS FAMILY. THAT'S NOT WHAT'S BEING DISCUSSED HERE. FIRST FAMILIES IN THIS CONTEXT REFERS TO THE LEADING FAMILIES IN THE INDUSTRIES MENTIONED.
2.that change the maps and landscapes and alter the mobility patterns, your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare. what change??the maps and landscapes means what? BUILDING RAILROADS, MAKING STEEL, ETC. CHANGED THE LANDSCAPE OF THE COUNTRY. MADE PLACE ACCESSIBLE THAT WEREN'T BEFORE. POPULATIONS SHIFTED BECAUSE PEOPLE COULD GET PLACES.
3.your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare---this really puzzled me!!
WHEELING AND DEALING IS A TERM USED TO DESCRIBE CUT-THROAT BUSINESS PRACTICES.

BTW, BANK HOLIDAYS IN THE US ARE VERY SIMPLE NATIONAL HOLIDAYS IN WHICH BANKS ARE CLOSED. THIS EXPRESSION WAS USED FAIRLY OFTEN IN THE PAST.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 02:44 pm
graham2007 wrote:
Like having a film star next to you on your flight from the Coast. There are treats of high order, adventure like cash in the street.
roberta, help me,please! there is a relationship between the treats and adventure? cash in the street means one may has possibility to pick up a wallet(containing lots of money)?

THE ASSUMPTION HERE IS THAT MOVIE STARS GET SPECIAL TREATMENT ON A PLANE. IF YOU SIT NEXT TO A MOVIE STAR ON A PLANE, YOU'LL GET SOME OF THE SAME SPECIAL TREATMENT. THIS COULD BE VIEWED AS A SPECIAL SURPRISE, LIVE FINDING MONEY IN THE STREET. AN UNEXPECTED TREAT.
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 06:50 am
Quote:
We'll have a house on the Vineyard and a brownstone in the Seventies and a pied-à-terre in a world capital when something big is about to break.

what is world capital referring to? New York, London or other places??
from the context, I think it is a place of US, right?
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:00 am
Quote:
Re-Columbus us. Engage us with the overlooked, a knowledge of optics, say, or a gift for the tides.

it's really hard to understand ! can you give a equivalent meaning?
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:38 am
what is back bedroom in an apartment? the master bedroom? or main bedroom? or deputy bedroom?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:58 am
graham2007 wrote:
Quote:
We'll have a house on the Vineyard and a brownstone in the Seventies and a pied-à-terre in a world capital when something big is about to break.

what is world capital referring to? New York, London or other places??
from the context, I think it is a place of US, right?

The Vineyard refers to Martha's Vineyard, a very exclusive community in the state of Massachusetts. It's on Cape Cod.

New York is not a capital city. It means places like London, Paris, or Rome. No the context is not referring to the US at all. Somewhere else.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:00 am
graham2007 wrote:
Quote:
Re-Columbus us. Engage us with the overlooked, a knowledge of optics, say, or a gift for the tides.

it's really hard to understand ! can you give a equivalent meaning?

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I'm waiting for someone else to come along to explain this one.

What kind of writing is this. The pits.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:02 am
graham2007 wrote:
what is back bedroom in an apartment? the master bedroom? or main bedroom? or deputy bedroom?

My grandparents had a back bedroom. It's the only time I ever heard that expression. The master bedroom is not the back bedroom. It's like an extra room in the back of the apartment. Smaller, less accessible to the other rooms. I haven't heard this expression in ages.
0 Replies