graham2007

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 10:53 pm
thanks in advance!
is there anyone who can help?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:24 pm
Re: ask for your help!
My responses are in all capital letters below.

graham2007 wrote:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:40 pm
graham the original texts you post make only a little sense in english. I suspect they are either poor translations or incomplete paragraphs.

like a tea service written into a will appears to be a simile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:52 pm
dadpad, Poorly written is an understatement.
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:36 am
Quote:
WRITING, ESPECIALLY WRITING IN A WORK OF FICTION OR SOMETHING THAT'S PERSONAL, DOES NOT ALWAYS CONFORM TO THE NORMS OF GRAMMAR.

you said it. thank u for your detailed help!
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:49 am
Quote:
Set to go off may mean "at its peak" or "about to reach its use by date."

great,dadpad! this, though a little phrase, really puzzled me!
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:57 am
pun? here the narrator's father own a matchbook company and obviously achieve great success. flaming means great fire, I think!
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:05 am
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:16 am
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:21 am
graham2007 wrote:
pun?NOT SO MUCH A PUN AS A PLAY ON WORDS. here the narrator's father own a matchbook company and obviously achieve great success. flaming means great fire, I think!
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:38 am
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:40 am
I come of good stock
stock, shares? or source?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 02:21 pm
graham2007 wrote:

I come of good stock
stock, shares? or source?

NO. GOOD STOCK REFERS TO HIS FAMILY. HE COMES FROM A GOOD FAMILY. THINK OF A PRIZE-WINNING THOROUGHBRED HORSE. THE HORSE COMES FROM GOOD STOCK--GOOD PARENTAGE.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:38 pm
Apres ski menas after skiing.

Apres is a french word adopted into english.

"wools are clothes they wears or sofa they sit at?"
Clothing.
It would be more correct to say woolens I think.

"imagine saved from ruin because of some cornball sentiment available in every bar and grill and truck stop?"

need to know more of the context to decipher this. what sentiment.

"Flaming" in Australia is used, sometimes, as an emphasiser, although less often in modern times, possibly as a substitute for a swear word. In most cases the end g is not sounded.

He's a flamin great idoit. His flamin' dog bit me. roberta is a flamin great mental case.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:11 pm
dadpad wrote:
Apres
"
He's a flamin great idoit. His flamin' dog bit me. roberta is a flamin great mental case.

Dadpad, Who? Me? Shocked I'm not a flamin' mental case. I'm flamin' possessed. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 06:55 am
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:50 pm
graham2007 wrote:
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BELLYBUTTON ECONOMICS ARE. THE CONTEXT DOESN'T HELP. A LINCHPIN IS SOMETHING THAT HOLDS EVERYTHING TOGETHER.

THIS IS A WILD GUESS. YOUR BELLYBUTTON IS WHERE YOUR UMBILICAL CHORD WAS CONNECTED. THE ITEMS RELATE TO THE BASICS OF LIVE--EARTH, WATER, AIR, AND FIRE. MAYBE THAT'S THE CONNECTION. I'M NOT GETTING THIS FROM THE LANGUAGE THOUGH. JUST TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT.

THE WRITING IN THE PIECE YOU'RE WORKING ON IS TRULY AWFUL. IT'S NO BOTHER. I WISH I COULD BE MORE HELPFUL.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:44 pm
Quote:

This is about the mathbook business is it not?
matchbooks sometimes have homilys printed on them. something like "look after your pennies and the pounds (dollars) will look after themselves"

The matchbook company was saved by printing a homily on its cover and distributing (selling) them to every truck stop in the country.

Quote:

I come of good stock I COME FROM A WELL RESPECTED FAMILY.
real estate, mineral water, oxygen, matchbooks: THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE MY FAMILY WEALTHY AND RESPECTED.
real estate IS EARTH mineral water IS WATER, oxygen IS AIR, matchbooks ARE FIRE.

a bellybutton economics, a linchpin one... REFERS TO BEING CENTRED AROUND... A BABIES' MAIN NUTRIENT SUPPLY IS FROM THE BELLYBUTTON, IT CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT THIS INPUT. ITS WHOLE BEING DEPENDS ON THIS INPUT.

IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE (BELLYBUTTON, LYNCHPIN) ECONOMICS {EARTH (REAL ESTATATE) AIR (OXYGEN) FIRE (MATCHBOOKS) WATER ( MINERAL WATER)} IT (THE NARRATOR AND HIS FAMILY AND BUSINESS) CANNOT SURVIVE.

sorry about all the brackets, I hope it doesnt make things more confusing.
Graham if you have a choice find something else to practice you english skills with. This piece of writing is truly awfull. It is VERY difficult to understand the concepts and emotions the author is trying to convey.
0 Replies

graham2007

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:36 am
Quote:
Phooey on the First Families. On railroad, steel mill, automotive, public utility, banking and shipping fortunes, on all hermetic legacy, morganatic and blockbuster blood-lines that change the maps and landscapes and alter the mobility patterns, your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare.

1.Phooey on the First Families
what's the first family?
2.that change the maps and landscapes and alter the mobility patterns, your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare. what change??the maps and landscapes means what?
3.your jungle wheeling and downtown dealing a stone's throw from warfare---this really puzzled me!!
0 Replies