sex, lies and internet

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:34 pm
plainoldme - sounds like you're in much the same situation as I am. There's the age difference which has it's drawbacks and benefits for each of us.

Have you tried emode.com? It's free unless you want to email someone, but it's got a bit of an edge over the other the other sites (I think). The membership is around 15/mo.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 06:34 am
2 things:

1) I think you've looked at too small a sample. When I met Mr. Jespah, I had literally dated over 100 guys through the Personals. It takes time. You go through a lot of bad dates. But I think that's a sidelight to being picky - the best possible person doesn't just fall into your lap. But there's an upside to bad dates - you learn what completely turns you off. You learn how to better screen through the phone (or email). You learn how to make conversation even when the other person is a bump on a log. It helps for when you begin to meet people who are more your speed.
2) I think a trip to Google is in order, to look for "intellectual singles" or "over-50 singles" etc. and try to get to a service that has already narrowed things down in this area, rather than www.match.com, which sounds like it's a more general service. When I met Mr. J, I had started with Newsday (this is before 'net personals) and I found the crowd was mainly not too intellectual. It wasn't until I started scanning through The Village Voice that I started to find men who were smarter and more to my liking. But even then, I went through at least 20 - 30 dates from Voice ads before I found Mr. J.

Keep plugging. Good men are out there, I'm certain of that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 04:27 pm
littlek,
I never heard of that service until now. Thanks for the tip.

jespah,
When I did the regular, preInternet personals a decade ago, I met two or three men per week over a 6 month period. That 2 x 4.3 x 6 or 51.6 men.
The sample was large and the men had great academic credentials and many were Harvard or MIT faculty members with a few unemployed and a smattering of other college faculties.
Interestingly, I have only seen two of those men since. One was pushing his bike down a street in Cambridge and we waved. The other has made a pest of himself at concerts, complaining about his seat (I usher to afford things), etc. So glad I did not have a second meeting with him!

I think that there are no more problems with internet dating than regular dating. My daughter just told me one of her fellow au pair friends just broke up with a man in her native Denmark. It was the old story when they met: I'm separated and in the process of divorce. She caught on to the fact that he is not living with her and divorce has been mentioned.

I once made a list of the men I dated prior to meeting my husband: there were about 150. I had several evenings of surreptious glances at my watch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
Unfortunately I don't have good dating stamina. At best I can do about 2 weeks of 2-3 different men each week. Once I had dates with 4 or 5 men in one week. After that I burn out.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:53 am
Received a message from a man on match.com yesterday who told me that I needed to rewrite my profile in order to lighten up.
the interesting thing is that I wrote specifically that I am interested in a man whose politics are liberal while he wrote, " If you vote to the write, eat vegetarian and always wear your seat belt, don't bother to reply." Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!! LOL!!!

Writing to a few men but going nowhere. Have a terrific summer dress that will probably go in storage, unworn.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
pom....at least you can smile?? Smile

Okay..whats with the dress going into storage unworn? Are you alone not worthy of this dress????

Perhaps enjoying wearing the dress out yourself somewhere it will turn an eye!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
Hi,Quinn,
the dress will go unworn because it is a summery looking albeit stiff fabric and is cut without sleeves: too cool even now to wear. Besides, I haven't hemmed it yet.

Had been looking forward to some sophisticated dates and dresssing up. Sigh.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:15 pm
Time to buy a new fall dress then...and hem it, and wear it..just for yourself
Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:03 pm
Quinn's got it in one. Buy something special to wear, and wear it because you deserve it, not because of someone else.
0 Replies